Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

GLOBE at night - mapping light polution

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
[url]http://www.globe.gov/globeatnight/[/url]

Do your part in fighting global illuminating!

Comments

• I can find Orion. Can't find the Big Dipper though. Unless I go back to MI were it is were it belongs!
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Well, i can see the moon....
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Funny thing, i Grew up on an island off the coast of Maine, so i've always had a great night sky to look at. I moved to New York City, not so good fo skygazing.. Then the night of the Big Northeast Blackout, Ihad so much fun, listening to lifelong New Yorkers look up at the REAL night sky for the first time in absolute AWE.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Are you implying the sky is not normally orange? BLASPHEMY!
  • I hate it because the stars keep moving from SE to West. Depending on witch airport I'm bye at the moment.
  • I know what the skys supposed to look like, but I really want to try someplace in the middle of nowhere for hundreds of miles...see what that does. :)

Right now, I have pretty darn good visibility in St. Aug. Go out to the beach, or behind my church (about 8 miles from town) and theres plenty of stars.

I know one day we had some telescopes out back of the church, could find Saturn and counts the rings. THAT was sweet. :D
  • I have a telescope, but I can't figure out how to use it to look at planets and stuff. The only thing I can really look at with it is the moon, but I want to be able to see the planets and I can't figure out how.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    You need to identify what glowy things are planets. You can search for online sky charts to help yu with this. The next step is to use the sights on your scope to point it directly at the planet and then take a look.
    some of the new telescopes come with computers what will find things for you.

I found a very nice Meade scope with a T-Mount for a DSLR. i'm dying to try some astral photography, but the damn thing is just under $1,000 maybe next summer ( it's also cool because you can use it as a terrestrial lens for the camera, nothing like a nice 1300mm lens to get closeups,
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;170300]Funny thing, i Grew up on an island off the coast of Maine, so i've always had a great night sky to look at. I moved to New York City, not so good fo skygazing.. Then the night of the Big Northeast Blackout, Ihad so much fun, listening to lifelong New Yorkers look up at the REAL night sky for the first time in absolute AWE.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine never having seen a night's sky. Not being able to stargaze would be like being without oxygen.

[QUOTE=A2597;170324]I know what the skys supposed to look like, but I really want to try someplace in the middle of nowhere for hundreds of miles...see what that does. :)[/QUOTE]

Where are you from? My suggestion is to go some place like Vermont. We used to own a cabin on a lake in the middle of nowhere. There were no street lights and no town that had any street lights for about 5 miles in any direction so we got amazing views. I can remember sitting out on our dock and watching the August meteor showers.
    I agree, Not being able to see the true night sky, is awful. was one of the toughest things about living in NYC.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Since coming here, I've really missed seeing stars at night. It's not too bad here, around magnitude 3 or 4 by that site, but it's nothing compared with home.

[QUOTE=A2597;170324]I know what the skys supposed to look like, but I really want to try someplace in the middle of nowhere for hundreds of miles...see what that does. :)[/QUOTE]

Go to NZ. :)

[QUOTE=Entil'Zha;170357]it's also cool because you can use it as a terrestrial lens for the camera, nothing like a nice 1300mm lens to get closeups,[/QUOTE]

Your neighbours must be really far away.
  • Desert mountains. Low water vapor closer to space. Brightest stars ever.
    Heck with the neigbors, great views of the beaches from the mountains. Uhhi, i mean great views of the falcons on the mountains..