Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

D-Day

57 years ago today millions of brave soilders started their march to Berlin. So to all those galient American, British, Canadian, and French troops that came ashore on that rainy morning:
THANK YOU

------------------
"Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
-John Sheridan

Comments

• Yeah, without their sacrifice where would we be.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Thank you indeed. A beach landing is possibly the most difficult mission to carry out.

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • CanuckCanuck Ranger
    Thank you... in memory, still bright.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I know this was written during The Great War, but I thought it appropriate.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

------------------
    [b]Freejack: The Theoretical Subatomic Particle[/b]

[i]The structure of anger is repetition[/i]

Unknown Artist
  • Yes, thank you. For with out their sacrafice. We would not be where we are today. Hats off to all the brave men that died on the fields of battle so that we all could live a better life. Free of oppresion and tyrany. pardon my misspelling. I try. and a moment of silence to commemorate them. on that dark gloomy day. To which they knew they would most likely never see the light of day or their families again........

Tally Ho
  • its funny how everyone remembers everything europeans did, but nobody cares to point out what russians did. They DID take berlin didn't they...
  • I to say thaank you, but have to ask... were are all the others... there were other nations at D-Day..... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

------------------
    Idiocy is not a learnt thing, but neither is it a genetic thing. It is simply something that jumps from genration to generation as it chooses and latches itself onto certain individuals.

Aint life great :) :) :)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Lennier:
    [b]Yeah, without their sacrifice where would we be.[/b][/quote]

Germany...

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Dead
  • [quote]Originally posted by Warleader D'Ren:
    [b]its funny how everyone remembers everything europeans did, but nobody cares to point out what russians did. They DID take berlin didn't they...[/b][/quote]

Had it not been for D-Day then the Russians wouldn't have taken Berlin. (Canadians and Americans aren't European either, thanks.)

-------------

And there were other nations that landed on DDay I'm sure, and I don't think it was intentional that they were omitted. ALL soldiers who fought on that day are owed our deepest respect.
  • [quote]Originally posted by Santiago:
    [b] Had it not been for D-Day then the Russians wouldn't have taken Berlin.
    -------------
    ALL soldiers who fought on that day are owed our deepest respect.
    [/b][/quote]

Uummm, Russia was fighting fascist Germany years before (and 20 million russian people died during that war, that is by far the highest number of victims of any country). Whether they would have been able to "take Berlin" is another question.

In addition (or should I say "as a sound basis"), there were thousands of members of the resistance in Europe and Germany itself that were fighting fascism (not only german but also italian fascism etc.) on this day but also long before and after it. Without them, D-Day might not have been possible at all or at least the result could have been a different one.

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]
  • Oh, please lets not get into that whole 'who won the war' thing. If the British hadn't won the 'Battle of Britain' then Britain would have been invaded and the Americans would have had nowhere to land. If the Russians hadn't openned up the easten front (or the Germans hadn't been so stupid to attack in the first place) the allies would have failed anyway, AND if Japan hadn't of attacked Perl Harbour the Americans wouldn't of got involved at all. War isn't perfect, it can't be descibed in simple terms, but the allies won. And we all owe them everything, even the Germans.

------------------
    possibly futile, but very human.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Not in vain....
  • Very Greatfull. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    [i]"Heads up...Incoming Hostiles!"[/i]

[b][i]"WE LIVE FOR THE SIM-WE DIE FOR THE SIM"[/b][/i]

[b][i]Marcus:[/i]"Touch passion when it comes your way. It's rare enough as it is. Don't
    walk away when it calls you by name."[/b]
    B5 I.T.F.
    <*>
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    *nods*
  • I think all anyone need do in order to respect those who did die, and to understand why they did it, is to watch the last episode of the 4th series of Blackadder. I know it's about WW1, but it still makes you respect this sort of thing regardless of what war it actually was. Believe me, it's one of the most moving pieces of TV I've ever seen.

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.
  • Absolutely
  • That was completely inappropriate. Try and be a bit more sensitive to others around here.

[This message has been edited by Biggles (edited 06-08-2001).]
  • Shut-it you colonial scum! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
  • GideonGideon Trainee
    Pfffffft...if the French and British leaders actually took the threats of Hitler seriously, they would have no doubt kicked his ass.
  • X-OmegaX-Omega Elite Ranger
    Be careful with this stuff. When you post in Internet, you should keep in mind that everyone around the world can see what you say. Therefore you should appreciate other cultures and note that the Germans may not like this thread as much as Americans and such. I'm not sure, just pointing out that you should have wider perspective nowadays when the world is as globalized as it is.
    I myself appreciate the efforts of the soldiers who landed in France on D-day and helped in making the peace.

------------------
    [b]Never start a fight. But always finish it.[/b]
    Finnish techno-geek, friend of all aardvarks
    Moderator at Babylon 5: Into the Fire Finland message boards
    #b5itf-finland (IRCnet) channel operator
  • Very Good point X-Omega
    But I'm going to go ahead and request that a mod close this thread before it gets too out of hand.

------------------
    -John Sheridan
  • [quote]Originally posted by Shuup Nick:
    [b]I think all anyone need do in order to respect those who did die, and to understand why they did it, is to watch the last episode of the 4th series of Blackadder. I know it's about WW1, but it still makes you respect this sort of thing regardless of what war it actually was. Believe me, it's one of the most moving pieces of TV I've ever seen.

Cherio.

[/b][/quote]

Nick: Is it the one where Rowan Atkinson's character tries to wiggle out of the leading the final charge?

------------------
    [b]Commander[/b] socrates
    flightleader, [i]Erinyes[/i]
    The Gray Hand of Fate
    AnlaShok Blackops

"Do [b]NOT[/b] interfere."
    Londo Molari: That sort of thing is completely inappropriate on this board, let alone in a thread commemorating D-Day. If you do not curb your language and show more respect, you will find that more will happen than just your posts being edited.

Everyone else: This thread is here to thank those soldiers who gave their lives in one of the biggest battles of WWII. No debates about who's side is better or anything resembling that. Try to remember we are an international community, and JMS has shown us that there are more important things than what country you belong to. We're all members of the human race.

------------------

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Yes. Hats off to those who died.
  • Damn biggles you took the word right out of my mouth.

------------------
    -John Sheridan
  • [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]Londo Molari: That sort of thing is completely inappropriate on this board, let alone in a thread commemorating D-Day. If you do not curb your language and show more respect, you will find that more will happen than just your posts being edited.

Everyone else: This thread is here to thank those soldiers who gave their lives in one of the biggest battles of WWII. No debates about who's side is better or anything resembling that. Try to remember we are an international community, and JMS has shown us that there are more important things than what country you belong to. We're all members of the human race.

[/b][/quote]

Are you sure he wasn't just having a joke?
    I thought he was, so I responded jokingly as well.

Socrates: Blackadder tries to worm his way out of going over the top in every episode of season four, it's just that in the last episode he fails. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
    That episode is appropriately named 'Goodbyeee'.

Cherio.

------------------
    I am aware that he may have been joking, but even as a joke I don't think it belongs in a thread like this. I consulted DG before taking any action, and he confirmed that I should do exactly what I did.

------------------

• Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    My grandfather was there. He is still alive [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • [quote]Originally posted by X-Omega:
    [b]... note that the Germans may not like this thread as much as Americans and such. [...][/b][/quote]

Well, I am German. And, I "like this thread" [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img] because I do NOT like the idea of being born in a fascist country. Remember that the fight was not against "the Germans" but against fascist Germany. I am glad that Germany lost WW2, even if some people might find that inappropriate for a German.

Fascism is not a national but an international problem. It is alive in many countries -- including Germany and the USA. Everyone should be aware of such tendencies and fight against them before there is another war to be fought.

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]