Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

EA Games - it's in the game! Well.. most of it.

CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
[url]http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2008/03/battlefield-bad-company-boycott-video.html[/url]

:laugh:

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Companies seem to be experimenting with pay for extra features that are normally free at the moment. Fortunately every attempt to do this so far has pretty much killed the game.

Worf
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    In theory, I'm not against splitting a game in smaller packages, that you pay for.
    For example, i'm a SP-Gamer. I don't need the multiplayer parts in Games. If companies would offer the opportunity, to just get the Single Player part of games for a reduced price, i'd be delighted.

But what I'm absolutely against is what EA has been trying to do for a few months: collecting money for every miniscule thing. Want a new car in a racing game? Pay. Want a new map? Pay. Want to use Cheats? PAY!
    But the "core game" still is as expensive as other games (yes, i now that Battlefield: Bad Company is free, i'm talking about the rest). I'm not willing to shell out 50-60€ for a bare bones edition of a game where i have to pay for essential parts. That's a twisted, corrupted realization of shareware. (Only that with shareware, the basic game was free...)
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Well lucky for us, FREE is the new best business- see why [URL="http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free"]here.[/URL]

I guess within the game industry it depends on what you want, will you wait for full content or do you want bare bones now and pay for stuff later?

I think that I'd want bare bones now to see if I want anything to do with the game. I am also more likely to pay for stuff if I am in the middle of the Level and need more. But all that will change. Check out [url]www.thelongtail.com[/url] as well.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Just seems like a different method of selling a product. If people are willing to spend their money that way, more power to the developers, if they are not, that method of going to market has failed.

That said, I do like the tiered approach that game developers have been taking. Sanfam's new fav, Live for Speed is a good example. In my current situation, I cannot, in any way, justify spending the standard $50 on a boxed set, especially without some prior knowledge of quality of the game. LFS, on the otherhand, has good gameplay in the demo version, just limiting the cars and tracks, but allowing multiplayer and full adjustment to the cars. Its only $23 to unlock half the tracks and cars, another $23 to unlock the rest. This allows me to get my teeth into the game without a huge investment.

Jake