Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Americans and civics education, how do you rate?

TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
Well this is primarily for the American contingent of Firstones, Civics education in the US has long been viewed as being atrociously bad since the 1960's The Intercollegiate Studies Institute, which admittedly a paleoconservative think tank (yes paleoconservative, they have little use for Neocons and the bush administration) has come up with a quiz which is fairly in depth about some American history and the American political/economic system and actually rather unbiased, you can find it at:

[url]http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx[/url]

warning, its long at 60 questions, Now admittedly some of the questions are going to be obscure, I don't think expecting most Americans to be familiar de Tocqueville is probably fair, but a lot of the stuff is fair game and people should know it. (All you American collage graduates do know what the federalist papers are? RIGHT?!)

take the quiz, see how you rank, what scares me is the surveys they have done at locations of higher learning and how poorly ranked most places are
the fact that the Ivy League schools only come in at like 60% average or less

I mean I'm just a lowly graduate of a public institution on the west coast with an average reputation, and I scored a 93% Surely Harvard and Yale's averages should be up there right?

Comments

• Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I got an 85%... but in my defense, most of the questions I missed related to economics. I'm not very good with money, since I don't have any. ;)
  • 80% for me.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Ok, what on earth is a paleoconservative? And a neocon for that matter? You Americans with your strange politics..... :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    A neo-conservative, neocon for short, is what Bush's "advisers" (I prefer the term "puppet masters," it sounds so much better) are supposed to be. These days they're stereotypically people who want the US to spread "democracy" around the world by any means necessary, generally flex its muscles to get its way, and make the world a better place for the USA.

I'm actually quite surprised you haven't heard the term. The media likes it a lot, and has for about 7 years now.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've heard the term, but never really known what it means. I also have no idea what 'the left' or 'the right' means in politics, despite regularly asking I just keep forgetting.

It will all become irrelevant when I rule the world anyway :shadow2: