Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Dune movie

MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
I have no source, but:

"Peter Berg will be directing a new big-budget Dune movie from Paramount. SFFMedia reports that 'although there were some doubts that they were going to get it,' the producers have secured the rights to the Dune novel from Frank Herbert's estate and are looking for writers to provide a screenplay that is true to the original text. Can't wait!"

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Hmmm.......

I'm a big fan of the Dune novels, but I'm not sure about another movie. There's the first movie that we just won't mention, and the two TV mini-series which I really did like, so I'm not altogether sure I want to see another version of it.
  • If anything should have a remake done, it should be "The Black Hole"
    Can't they think of any original ideas anymore?
    Have thoes movie producers talk to me, i'll give them a hundred or more idea's to write a story about.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Trident;171690]Can't they think of any original ideas anymore?[/QUOTE]

[url=http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/04/04/johnny-5-is-alive-short-circuit-being-remade/]Apparently[/url] [url=http://io9.com/375484/bill-and-teds-completely-unnecessary-remake]not[/url].
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    yea, not happy with Short Circut remake...

I could, MAYBE, see a Batteries Not Included remake though. MAYBE
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    At this rate its not going to be long before films are remade before they've even been released!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    They'll be remaking films before the originals are even released.

Worf
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;171692][url=http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/04/04/johnny-5-is-alive-short-circuit-being-remade/]Apparently[/url] [url=http://io9.com/375484/bill-and-teds-completely-unnecessary-remake]not[/url].[/QUOTE]

Jesus. :rolleyes:
  • Quick, let's re-imagine BSG again before we find out the ending for the current re-imagining.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I'm fairly certain we are about due for another Buch Rodgers remake...

Jake
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    That's the obvious next step after Galactica.

Worf
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Ever since the BSG mini, Buck Rogers has been jokingly tossed around repeatedly as the next most likely candidate for a remake.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [i]The main differences are that the phone Bill and Ted use to travel through time isn't an old-school phone booth, but something "funkier." Their band is called the Atomic Gorillas instead of the Wyld Stallyns. The script is supposedly full of "hip" pop culture references for today's kids,[/i]

Well if they put it that way now it makes sense. They have to make sure it's up to date with references for kids nowadays. Wouldn't want to confuse them. That means they can keep remaking it every 20 years in order to keep up with the times.
  • Doing the fighting right seems to be impossible. I haven't seen it in the movie or the mini series.
    I hated the way they did the Beni gesserit (why no I'm not going to try harder to spell that correctly!) in the mini series.
    The voice box was a bad choice in the movie though.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;171722]Ever since the BSG mini, [B]Buck Rogers[/B] has been jokingly tossed around repeatedly as the next most likely candidate for a remake.[/QUOTE]

Now that was a cheesy scifi show. It's the mother of cheesy scifi shows actually. :D

They might be able to give it the BSG treatment and make it grittier. The theme of a character coming from another time has always had something intriguing to it. Even [I]Demolition Man[/I] was funny in that way, considering the fact that Silvester Stallone isn't much of a comedian does prove it. :D Anyone care for a rat burger?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Demolition Man is a surprisingly entertaining movie. :D

[quote]T.V. Reporter: [to John Spartan] How can you justify destroying a $7 million dollar mini mall to rescue a girl whose ransom was only $25,000 dollars?
    Little Girl: FUCK YOU, LADY!
    John Spartan: Ha! Good answer![/quote]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;171742]Demolition Man is a surprisingly entertaining movie. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised they didn't make a sequel (or rather prequel, because some characters did get killed "for good") yet. There was talk about WB working on one, but it's been quiet for a couple years, so they probably canned it for later.

Oddly enough the movie only gets a 6.2/10 rating at IMDb, the movie isn't that bad. It sports some nice SFX and relatively high production values. Ok, it's in the vein of [I]Judge Dredd[/I] (which Stallone did 2 years later) and other comic book adaptations, but it's certainly entertaining.

[QUOTE]Booth: Gun. Noun. Portable firearm. This device was widely utilized in the urban wars of the late twentieth century. Referred to as a pistol, a piece...
    Simon Phoenix: Look I don't need a history lesson! C'mon, HAL, where are the god damn guns?
    Moral Statute Machine: You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
    Simon Phoenix: What? Fuck you!
    Moral Statute Machine: Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.
    Simon Phoenix: Yeah, right.
    [police sirens approach]
    Simon Phoenix: Fuckers are fast too. [/QUOTE]

I didn't expect another [I]Blade Runner[/I] experience, so I wasn't disappointed when I left the theater.

As an aside: the movie predicted Arnold Schwarzenegger's political ambitions... now how funny is that? :D
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    The SciFi miniseries was so good I'm surprised they feel they need another Dune movie...especially since a movie is too short to ever encapsulate the details of a story that complex. Look how horrible the first movie attempt was.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Have a JoyJoy Day, Be well...