Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The next great adventure...

DaxDax Redshirt
So after much thought and debate and consideration, Peter and I have decided that Bridgewater just isn't the place for us anymore.

-- I can't really find work here that will take full advantage of my Masters Degree (Publishing)
-- Peter's been at HB for 6 years, when he graduated he said he wanted to make 1 video game, he's made 7.
-- We want to live somewhere that we have picked out together and build our life together there

We thought that the next logical step would be Halifax.
So we made some phone calls and I applied to about 10 places looking for work (no replies yet).
We looked at some places to live.
We talked it over with friends and decided that...

WE ARE MOVING TO VANCOUVER.

Step 1) Scout trip
We are going to NYC for my graduation anyway on May 20th for a few days so we decided that it would be cheaper to fly from NYC to VAN for a couple weeks, have some job interviews and scout out neighbourhoods etc... Goal: Get job and find place to live

Step 2) Sell the house here
We have decided to use Property Guys.com to list our house, it is a beautiful house in a nice location Goal: We are hoping to get what we ask for it.

Step 3) Move our stuff out there
- Looking into options like frieght or u-haul or moving company, depends on price and availablity Goal: not spend too much money to haul a few key things we can't live without

Step 4) Move out there
We are planning a 7-10 trip to drive (with dogs) across Canada stopping anywhere we deem interesting and of course, for at least 1 Geocache a day.

Step 5) Fly back for cats and weddings
Goal: get to all weddings in NS and still have sane cats in Van

Logistics are going to be crazy with work end dates and start dates and wedding dates! But we'll make it work!

Comments

• Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Good luck!
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Awww but then you won't be so close (relatively speaking) to Sanfam and I!! :(

However...I have always wanted to go to Vancouver...and they do film an awful lot of good shows there....hmmm... :D
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    sounds like a solid plan. Good luck.
  • Vancouver, one of the best cities in Canada. Good luck.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Good luck!

I like Vancouver :) Hopefully I'm gonna emmigrate to Canada in a few years, and Vancouver is top of the list of the places I'd want to move to
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    Welcome to the neighbourhood!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    There's Toronto...Vancouver...there are people elsewhere in Canada?!
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Vancouver = Stargate = good. :)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    At first I thought you meant Vancouver Washington. I was going to strongly urge you otherwise. You be closer my adorable self though.

The BC version is quite nice, I was just there for spring break!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I don't know about Vancouver being nice. Have you looked at Google maps? Looks like another seashore metropolis with lots of glass and concrete blocks to me.

And no backyards to grow a carrot. :laugh:
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Well if thats what you guys want to do. I can tell you though its very hard to pick up and move to a new city. So good luck.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Move to Bar Harbor Maine, sure you wont' be able to get a publishing job But i'm here, and thats all that matters!
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Good luck with your move, Dax. I've had to help move my brother several times and I have to say that it's a total bitch. ;)
    I dunno what google maps shows, I used my own eyes instead =p

Oh, avoid taking a wrong turn at gastown (sp).
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    well I've lived in 4 parts of Nova Scotia, Kansas, Central Maine, New Brunswick, and New York City, so I've been moving every so often for the last 10 years.. I'll be happy to get there and find and job and sit on my duff for a while :P It's a lot to do but it'll be worth it to start fresh together.

croxis: you'll have to come visit!

I'll be flying through Seattle on my way by, anyone going to be there on June 8th?
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Wow, you're like me. I've lived in Illinois, Vermont, and New York and spent lots of time in about 20 other states.
    I think I shal :)

You can also visit tyvar and myself if you come down our way too!

Sadly I am in class June 8th :( If it was a week later it be a great day for a road trip!
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I'll post you some sunlight in Winter... :)

good luck is manufactured, looks like you wont have any problems making some

have fun
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Dax,

I have to give you kudos for picking up and moving across the country. I hated even moving just across town.

Jake
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'd actually be fine moving cross-country. At least then, the effort is warranted.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    9000km! Woo!
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Actually's it's about 5500-6,000 kms
    [URL="http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=13582903785943600706,42.163400,-88.154570%3B6625667300461688533,49.723850,-96.943366&saddr=129+Bolivar+Road+bridgewater,+ns&daddr=46.679594,-83.671875+to:HWY-405+%4049.723850,+-96.943366+to:vancouver,+bc&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=4&via=1,2&jsv=107.hc&sll=45.422775,-93.21077&sspn=27.399495,89.296875&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4"]Linky[/URL]
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;172060]I'd actually be fine moving cross-country. At least then, the effort is warranted.[/QUOTE]

So true. Moving all the way across the country also forces you to do everything at once. Moving partways across town allows you to move in small batches, and while that seems easier, it really takes more time and effort that way.

Jake
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    I am looking forward to getting rid of a bunch of stuff and starting fresh all at once. We'll be listing our house on propertyguys.com soon!
  • Is hard to sell a house in Canada? It has gotten difficult here (US) to get a lone.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Canada is in a much better situation at the moment than the US but we are ever vigilant because our economy is linked to yours. It's not that hard to sell a house here, I'll keep you up dated when we sell and close.