Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Sulu to be married, Bester to be best man

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_en_ce/people_george_takei[/url]

[quote]
WASHINGTON - George Takei, best known for playing Sulu on "Star Trek," will never forget the first time he saw Brad Altman, the man he plans to marry, more than two decades ago.
They were working out in a running club and he couldn't take his eyes off Altman, who had a "lean, tightly muscled" body, the 71-year-old actor told AP Radio in an interview.
Takei said he asked Altman to help him train for a marathon, they fell in love, and now they've been living together for 21 years.
Altman said he proposed by getting down on one knee in their kitchen while Takei was eating a sandwich after seeing on TV that the California Supreme Court had legalized same-sex marriage. It surprised Takei, who thought he would be the one who popped the question.
They bought each other turquoise and silver wedding rings.
Takei and Altman plan to marry Sept. 14 in the Democracy Forum at the Japanese National Museum in Los Angeles.
Walter Koenig, who played Chekov in "Star Trek," will be the best man and Nichelle Nichols, who played Uhura, will be the matron of honor. Castmate Leonard Nimoy will be among the 200 guests, but probably not William Shatner. Takei has said Shatner didn't treat him and most of the cast very well.
Takei, who had a recurring role on NBC's "Heroes" last year, and Altman plan to honeymoon for a month in South America.
As for what they'll wear on their big day, Altman said they'll both walk down the aisle in white tuxedoes, which seemed to catch Takei off-guard.
"Well, now that you've announced it on the air, I guess it's settled," he said.[/quote]

Comments

• I like it when bad laws are removed. I have relatives who couldn't get married in CA before the State Supreme Court got rid of the race restrictions.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I dont know if its just me, but I just dont see why same-sex marriages are such seen as big deal
  • The nature of a law (good or bad) is a matter of one's values and perspective, not generally a universal.

Not getting into a political or values discussion here, and I'm not stating my position, just playing devil's advocate.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;173527]I dont know if its just me, but I just dont see why same-sex marriages are such seen as big deal[/QUOTE]

They're a big deal because of people with dangerous insecurities making a big deal of them.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Yep, If I hear one more person talk about how preventing same-sex marriage protects the sancitity of the instiution....

Heteros have been f__king it up badly enough...

Jake
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    good for them.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    sanctity of marriage... HA!!!

"Most" people who are against gay marriage are bible toting hypocrites. They always fail to notice that in the same chapter where it says "If a man shall lay down with another man, the way he layeth with a woman, he hath committed a sin." Has verses that describe how eating pork and shellfish are sins because the animals are "unclean"

They pick and chose what parts of the bible they want to follow, and to top it off they are picking from the old testament and forgetting some of Jesus' teachings. Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Hate the sin, love the sinner. Bunch of hypocrites the whole lot of them.

Grats George, many happy days in your new life together.
    Anybody think its funny that Shatner won't be there? lol KHAN!!!!
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Oddly enough, my dad and his partner recently moved out of California due to the high property taxes. They live in Oregon now. I'm not sure of what Oregon's laws are regarding gay marriage/civil unions, but it is rather ironic.
  • Trust me, Oregon sucks. We had a voter approved measure passed in 2004 that banned gay marriage IN OUR CONSTITUTION!

Seriously now.

*....waits for brother to stomp in with his rhetoric ;)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Oh I know quite well. Measure 36 is a constitutional amendment which bans gay marriages, however full domestic partnerships have gone into effect. So it is just a matter of time to undo the damage that has been done.

I hope by summer next year O:-)
    since we are on the topic of politics. I think its great that Obama won the nomination now we can seriously turn this country around.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Seafroggys;173538]Trust me, Oregon sucks. We had a voter approved measure passed in 2004 that banned gay marriage IN OUR CONSTITUTION!

Seriously now.

*....waits for brother to stomp in with his rhetoric ;)[/QUOTE]

Don't even get me started on such constitutional amendments. A constitution, by its very design, is intented to define and limit the power of the government, not the people for which that government is meant to serve.

Jake
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Freejack: quite! The sooner governments realise this the better. Not that I hold out hope they ever will on their own. Revolution anyone?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Only half of one please, I'm on a diet
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE]The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of Jefferson, but he may have been on to something. ;)
  • V you say?
  • But I can say I am a fan of Jefferson.