Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Yet anouther computer upgrade request for advise

Well my 18" CRT is has been acting up a little weird. I have been looking at LCD's for the past month and came down to the 2 units below. I would like opinions, advise, constructuve critisims.

[url]http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/computer%20products_lcd%20monitors_full%20line%20of%20lcd%20monitors_W2452T.jhtml[/url]

The LG pros are it can be bought locally, if bad pixals are around I can promply return it. 170 degree viewing. 3 months zero interest purchase.

[url]http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24TWHSUV/ZA&fullspec=F[/url]

Samsung pros are , looks cool!, 20,000 contrast. longer warrenty,

I assume both are TN panels but that is ok since I am not a graphic designer. I am hoping they will act like a CRT since I think they use the same panels in LCD HDTV's? Both are 5ms.

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    both are quite nice, but for me, I would go with the Samsung. I have had several and they are great monitors.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    i ordered the Samsung. I am like a little kid waiting for a toy.
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    T240 looks good on the table, but it still has a TN panel. A monitor with an S-IPS or H-IPS panel would've been a more eye-friendly choice, for example Planar PX2611W or DoubleSight DS-263N (which use the same LG.Philips LM260WU1 panel that the way more expensive NEC LCD2690WUXi has).
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    It never ceases to amaze me what kind of details some people know about things and how far they go on to study them. :D

I mean, all we know is these things are most likely built in China and that doesn't say much because it's a HUGE country and you don't want to know who made that egg roll you are enjoying at your local Chinese restaurant, do you? In fact you don't even want to take a look at the kitchen, because you might be very disappointed to see where those special ingredients come from that make the spicy soup so g*ddamn tasty.
    I believe one isn't so picky about a thousand $1 egg rolls than a $1000 display. A monitor is a tool you have to be able to use time after time... and that egg roll of yours is a disposable item (unless you like to ruminate or eat your own puke). Of course you want to be sure that the food isn't rotten or poisonous, but if there were good egg rolls and bad egg rolls (priced approximately the same), I'm sure you'd want to choose the good ones, no matter where they were originally produced.
    Monitor/TV purchase decisions should preferably not be based on data alone. Why? Because we all see things slightly differently with our eyes, one person may like the image quality of a display that you don't like and vice versa. Price is not always an image quality indicator either. A visit to a store which has said devices on display would be more helpful.

Since the purchase has already been done, we'll have to wait and see if it was a good decision. :)

You don't get food poisoning from a $1000 display, but hardly anybody goes and checks what's cooking in the back of the kitchen. ;)
    Hardly anyone goes and checks what's cooking in the back of the factory line also, because you have to make an appointment for that (if you even could get the owner's permission). And you're forgetting the fact that glossy panels always look better at the store than at home, even with a normal or below average eyesight. And because price isn't always related to quality, you have to search data about potential weaknesses like input lag, ghosting, dead pixels and annoyingly loud LCD power supplies, which aren't covered in the specifications provided by the manufacturers.

But why am I bothering to argue about these things when there's a much simpler way to make my point?

[img]http://omglol.kerrolisaa.com/1/10567.jpg[/img]
    What argument? Who's arguing? Just because I disagree? This is a forum right?

I'm more impressed by that guy's beard then by what you wrote. I've seen many screens look truly awful in stores so I can't accept your point. In the end it's a matter of personal preference. Modern displays do not have the same problems of the original product lines, we are past the prototyping stage, there are only very few display matrix manufacturers in the world, regardless of the brand label that was stamped on the frame.
    "Better" doesn't necessarily mean it's really good from the start.

For example, not many manufacturers use LED backlighting which means the "modern" displays can have equal or worse light leakage problems when compared to a 5yr old display. TN type panels are used only in the cheapest models because of their lower production costs and poorer viewing angles and color reproduction. And I don't even want to begin with the dynamic contrast bullshit.
    S-IPS or H-IPS are good for still pictures for graphic designers,CAD from what I saw. You can get whats call inverted ghosting if the images move too fast. I will get th samsung tommorw and will post a review..heheh
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I think what Stingray is trying to say is that if it looks good to him, who cares what the specs or online reviews say?
    Of course after the big bucks have been paid, one has to convince him/herself that the purchased product is a satisfactory even if it has some flaws. I'm only saying TN+Film isn't the finest piece of technology available at a reasonable price at the moment.

And it's pretty obvious that if we already had affordable Blue Phase LCD, OLED, FED or Laser-TV displays, we wouldn't have to even spit in the direction of the pitiful selection of current consumer class monitors.
    Pro consumer panals are over multiple 1000 dollars. I don't even have a color calabrator. I agree the technology needs some work. I donlt know if you need a billion colors to play games.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I must admit, I am mightily impressed with that beard. Can we add it to the forums? :D
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I can say this much, a friend bought a laptop. He looked in a store which one to get and thought the ones with a glossy screen really looked good. it wasn't until he got it into daylight that he didn't really like it anymore. So yeah, might be good to read specs and reviews even though you like how something looks.

Also, I don't get the whole food comparing to computer stuff. I'm interessted in computers and electronics so ofcourse I know stuff about it and might even read more about products others buy or I'm self about to buy. I also bet there are people interested in food and knows all about how long to cook things, how to spice them, how they should look and feel to taste good.

Might just add that I think TN panels are good enough if you don't mind some drawbacks, because they are hell of a lot cheaper than the other panels.
    WOW!!! it is amazing. I can never go back to 18" CRT. The samy looks as good as the spec sheets so far, but I need more time..I got so much more desk space! That beard looks so much bigger!!!!
    [QUOTE=C_Mon;174600]Also, I don't get the whole food comparing to computer stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid there is nothing I can do for you. Understanding is a difficult journey on a path that needs to be walked alone.

[QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;174609]WOW!!! it is amazing. I can never go back to 18" CRT. The samy looks as good as the spec sheets so far, but I need more time..I got so much more desk space! That beard looks so much bigger!!!![/QUOTE]

See, if I hadn't posted in this thread Eclecticonaut would have never posted that awesome picture... wait a minute, is that a UFO I see behind the beard??? :eek:
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    [QUOTE=Stingray;174615]I'm afraid there is nothing I can do for you. Understanding is a difficult journey on a path that needs to be walked alone.
    [/QUOTE]

Seems more like you didn't understand what I ment. :p Allready explained it once, don't feel like doing it again.
    [QUOTE=C_Mon;174616]Seems more like you didn't understand what I ment. :p Allready explained it once, don't feel like doing it again.[/QUOTE]

You were the one who said you didn't understand, not I. The failure to understand is completely on your side. I don't write your posts, if you don't mean what you write, then what do you want to say? :D
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;174586]S-IPS or H-IPS are good for still pictures for graphic designers,CAD from what I saw. You can get whats call inverted ghosting if the images move too fast.[/QUOTE]Clearly visible inverted ghosting is sign of badly tweaked RTC (which can be and is used with all LCD panel types) used for covering one defect (of many) of LCD technology.
    [QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;174593]I donlt know if you need a billion colors to play games.[/QUOTE]That's the accurasy were digital display technologies (including gprahic card and data transfer bus) should be going for removing stepping in colour slides but 8-bits per component limits colours to ~16.7M.
    TN's again have only 6-bit accuracy (64 colours) per component and make missing ~16½M colours by spatial and temporal dithering.
    That and lack of real vertical viewing angle can go in games but I wouldn't use them for anything which has something to do which graphic.

[QUOTE=Stingray;174569]we are past the prototyping stage[/QUOTE]That's clear, bright/shiny (what ever that shit is called) screens have gotten so reflective that you can use them as shaving mirror.
    [quote]there are only very few display matrix manufacturers in the world, regardless of the brand label that was stamped on the frame.[/QUOTE]Only for quality panels!
    All (S-)PVAs are made by Samsung, LG and Philips have joint venture which makes IPS-panels and IIRC there's only one maker of (P-)MVAs but for generic TN crap there's many makers and quality varies already between three major manufacturers.
    (Samsung even keeps literal panel lotteries in their TN displays)
    Yesterday, I stood in front of the world's biggest plasma TV.
    Come on Biggles, tell us more. Any pictures, specs?
    I believe it still is the [url=http://www.blinkx.com/video/world-biggest-tv/dbCrj8xbd3WegkJZwC64IQ]Toshiba 2651[/url], a 2651-inch wiiiiiiide screen.

Aaah, some prick had deleted that video from youtube, took some time to find another one.
    [QUOTE=E.T;174634]there's only one maker of (P-)MVAs[/QUOTE]
    That's AU Optronics, but Fujitsu has also manufactured MVA panels and to my knowledge there are a few minor players too like Chi Mei and Chunghwa.
    With the Toshiba 2561 incher I like the excitment the reporter has when talking how "big" it is.
    I meant the world's biggest plasma TV that's, you know, [url=http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/plasma_central/103plasma/default.asp]buyable[/url]. If you have [url=http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/cat_1045_115_416_11687962/58618207.html]enough money[/url].
    5,600,000 yen? I don't know the exchange rate but that does still seem like a lot for a TV. :D
    Current rate says $51,902.31... and that's a lot of money. In fact it's ten times as much as it's reasonable to pay for a product that's going to lose it's value rapidly.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    If you're rich, it's the reasonable cost of being on top. :p
    [I]56,000 channels and nothing's on...[/I] :D