Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

What's going on?

Yes, I have been lurking and no I haven't been on IRC (:() but I have a bit of free time so- what's up?

Well a few new updates of note, so here goes:

1) Birthday == lazy.
Peter's birthday is today and we are celebrating via extreme laziness. Last night we went out to dinner with friends and then ate some ice cream cake and played video games. Today, our extreme laziness includes plowing through the remainder of Season 2 of LOST and eating left over cake :). Peter's been trying to get me to watch it for ages and now I'm hooked. Hopefully we can catch up before the new season starts. Big Brother is over on Tuesday so I'll need some new distraction.

2) My dog is a junkie.
Yoshi LOVES laser pointers. She can't get enough of the little red dot no matter where it goes. It's hi-larious to watch her run around looking for the pointer, she won't even eat in the morning if we play with her first and if we pull it out after she does her business outside, she's as happy as a clam- so cute and funny.

3) I gots some employment.
As much as I love Canada Wide (internship), I recognize that it's an office and there's some politics that go with it such that I am not sure if they are going to hire me at the end. Everything is great, I like some of the work I am doing and Shannon (manager) says that I am great but I am not sure if they have the budget or the means to keep me. Canada Wide is also all the way out in Burnaby and as much as I like a 45 min commute each way, each day, I would prefer something down town.

With student loan payments looming I decided that it's time for me to get some retail or something on the go until I find something I am happy with that will give me money. So I happened to pass by a Staples on my way home last week and decided to just go in on the fly and see if I could work in their print shop for a little while. Long story short, not only did they hire me, they offered me part time while I finish up Canada Wide but have me on track to be a salary paid full time print consultant when if/I decide that Staples is for me in the long term.

So things are starting to stabilize a bit, we got a new shelf from Ikea that helped us unpack yet a few more boxes and unexpectedly it made me feel good. I didn't think a shelf would make me feel better but it did.

Unfortunately Peter and I have determined that we are not coming back to NS for Christmas, where ever I look tickets are really expensive, we don't have a plan for the dogs and no guaranteed time off. Hopefully we'll have some visitors from Calgary but we'll see. It's a bit difficult to know I won't be home but I think it'll be ok.

What's the newest thing in your life? Comment/email/phone/something. I feel like I fell off the face of the earth a little and want to know what's up.

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Well, a month ago I moved to Stavanger in Norway. I have an internship at the Museum of Archaeology here, so Im working on viking age finds and some roman.

Also, they have a Smithy, so Im happy. :)

Other than that, Ive been out hiking alot, Norway is splendid, I love the fjords and the landscape is dramatic as hell. When I was young I told my parents I would become norwegian when I grew older, well, I just might stay. :p
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Well sorry to kill the party...BUT my dad is trying to sell the house now we've had two calls from real estate agents and he says hes planning on doing it...And he said very frankly he does not care what happens to either me or my brother...I feel sorry for my brother because he has a pot habit and a lack of drive. I easily can pick up leave and get some job and potentially live in Sanfam's car for the next 6 months lol.

Well have to wait and see anyway its going to be at least a few months before he sells it and hes an idiot for trying to sell it in this terrible housing market. But thats my dad if the hand is broken, cut off the hand.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm fourteen days into a fresh new quarter at RIT! Woo! It's not all that exciting, but it's been a bit nice for a change. Callista and I also moved into a new apartment and have become stuck somewhere between "packed" and "unpacked." Boxes line some rooms and half-assembled objects litter the floor. I was hoping to be done and over with by this point in time, but Callie and I are just too busy to consider getting things dealt with. We got the internet on Thursday, making everything slightly more shiny. The biggest reason for the move have shown their benefits: Proximity to school and expanded storage capacity. We got a set of shelves up in the basement and have removed some of the more annoying objects from sight. In a few weeks, the remaining shelves will be set up and anything that lacks a home will be planted there. I also need to set up my indoor winter greenhouse so I can begin to grow some veggies (that'll come later).

On the downside of things, my various car problems have grabbed the wagon and shoved it into a corner. One of the brake rotors warped under pressure of a stuck caliper, leaving me without a usable car. I'm looking into various options, but I'm either going to end up getting the Crown Vic again or acquiring a cheap winter beater wagon to take care of things.

Thankfully, my new place of work is practically walking distance. OfficeMax (Staples is for Satanists and Canadians! :P) hired me for a reasonable rate as a part-timer. I'm on my third day and things are looking good. Friendly people, reasonable customers, and close to home and school. Scheduling has been friendly, so I'm rather content with how things have worked out. (Death to Staples! :P)

Also with regard to distance, Callie and I both acquired bikes to make our commutes to school and work more reasonable. We're a bit green to the whole biking thing, so our times are roughly 20 minutes to/from a particular point. Not as fast as driving (nor as quick as a more experienced/physically fit cyclist), but not too shabby. We'll probably shove then into the basement come December, but they've been fantastic thus far. I've been riding when at all possible and I'm feeling so much better for it.

I still need to unpack dishes. Haven't even touched any of them yet. It's been half a month and we're only lightly drawing from our pool of spoons and forks. Take-out and dine-in food has been killing my wallet lately. Eating on campus every single weeknight without a meal plan hurts!

And as some have noticed, I've just barely been around the computer lately. Between school, moving, and future work...I've had significantly reduced leisure time. I'll find more as I settle back in, but all this change all at once has hurt my ability to function.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Well we still have to sell our house in Nova Scotia so we are still stressing about that but we are going to redo the floor and hopefully that will push it.

heh, Peter and I were stuck between boxes for a while until we got that shelf.

Oh! I *heart* the crown vic- don't you Worf? ;)

I am jealous of the biking thing, it's totally my goal for next summer. Vancouver is one mecca city for biking. I am super glad to hear that you are biking, that's awesome.

I guess it's that time of year where everybody is getting back into the swing of things.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    After a summer of mostly working(packing ice cream) I'm back at the University in Turku. Nothing much has changed here. Fell on my back during the summer and still get it sore if I hike or do situps so might have to go and check it again with a doctor.
    Going to Austria in October, so that'll probably be fun.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm busy cementing my lead in the [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?p=172329]flight distance competition[/url].

One thing I love about living in Tsukuba is that I can bike anywhere in the city in less than half an hour.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [U]Monkey [/U]moon shine pie!
    If i ever got a classic car, it would be a crown vic.
    [QUOTE=Dax;175670]Well we still have to sell our house in Nova Scotia so we are still stressing about that but we are going to redo the floor and hopefully that will push it.

heh, Peter and I were stuck between boxes for a while until we got that shelf.[/quote]

It seems that no matter how many shelves we have, there's never enough to properly put things on. I've somehow got to conjure a creative form of wardrobe to tackle Callista's clothes and came up with an interesting PVC contraption, but I don't know how well it'll work in practice.

[quote]Oh! I *heart* the crown vic- don't you Worf? ;) [/quote]

Oh god, now I've got to bleach the interior :p

[quote]I am jealous of the biking thing, it's totally my goal for next summer. Vancouver is one mecca city for biking. I am super glad to hear that you are biking, that's awesome.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the fact that I do live in Rochester means that we're pretty much doomed come winter. And the temporary death of my car means I'm going to be looking into any number of alternatives in the very near future. Gotta get this business settled soon!
    Btw, those of you on facebook can check out Stavanger in my "Stavanger" photo album..
  • I am without power here for who knows how many days. I hooked my router up to my car so I can look at the internet for a few moments, gotta love laptops!
  • What's going on with Ivanova? [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeP7c0QaokY[/url]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=Dax;175660]2) My dog is a junkie.
    Yoshi LOVES laser pointers. She can't get enough of the little red dot no matter where it goes. It's hi-larious to watch her run around looking for the pointer, she won't even eat in the morning if we play with her first and if we pull it out after she does her business outside, she's as happy as a clam- so cute and funny.
    [/QUOTE]

Sadie is also a Laser-pointer junkie... :p so damn funny!!!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Eclecticonaut;175690]What's going on with Ivanova? [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeP7c0QaokY[/url][/QUOTE]

Wait, did I just see a 1980's style negative fade thingy...just at a minute in?

There's a lot of DEEEEEPPPPP HHHHUUURRRRRTTTTIIIINNNNNGGGG in that video...

Jake
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Hey Sanfam, i've got a 2000 Ford Taurus y ou can buy, only $2500, just needs a little bit of work.... ignore the Bambi dents.
    If you can slash that unsightly '2' from the price and drive it down, you've got a sale!