Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Minority Report has arrived

FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
Unfortunately the news is in finnish only, but I suppose the video says it all.
[url]http://fin.afterdawn.com/uutiset/arkisto/16017.cfm[/url]

To tell the truth, I was pretty amazed.

Don't want that for my personal computer though, imagine the future option for force feedback when dragging 50 Gb of files from folder into another :D

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'd definitely like that on my wall :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Impressive.

Worf
  • me likely lots.

reminds me of MS surface without the tactile touch though.

Overall, as much as I hate to say it, Surface has better applications in the RW.
  • Imagine yourself doing that in front of your 19" monitor.
  • The original news (which I mentioned today at afterdawn.com's IRC channel) from Engadget.com: [url]http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/14/oblongs-g-speak-the-minority-report-os-brought-to-life/[/url]

And it really is the OS from Minority Report - one of Oblong Industries' founding members was the science advisor for the crew responsible of the movie.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    This is one of those "futuristic" techs that ends up with very few practical applications. The best application I can see is high data flow situations where rapid human decisioning is required, such as emergency management centers.

Air traffic control seems like an ideal use of the technology. Imagine a control center with no windows, but 4 screens with controllers working each screen. The could easily manipulate a 3D represenation of all air traffic, coupled with various hi-diff camera that can quickly zoom into any point on the tarmac or nearby airspace.

...of course we've not been able to get our existing system migrated from radar rto GPS based yet...

Jake
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Im with Freejack its cool but really what standard user would use this?

Personally I'm more interested in voice recognition technologies. I want customized commands for my computer!

"On Screen." Turns off the screen saver and goes to windows desktop.

"Communications." Brings up my email and firstones IRC. :)

"One to beam up." Sends me into compose mode on my email.

"Red Alert." Sends me to Antivirus...etc...etc.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Those have existed for 10 years Johnny, I was a helper for a handicapped boy back then, and he used such software. Mind you, it wasnt good at writing in word and stuff, but it could definitely be used for what youre describing.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Oh I'm always so far behind the times...Got link?
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_recognition[/url]

if you google it you get some free ones. I dont remember the name of the one we used, but it was kinda crappy anyways.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Messiah;177249]Those have existed for 10 years Johnny, I was a helper for a handicapped boy back then, and he used such software. Mind you, it wasnt good at writing in word and stuff, but it could definitely be used for what youre describing.[/QUOTE]

My experience with speech recognition is about 10 years old, a roommate in college had one new computer that was package with speech recognition software. It turned out to be pretty useless back then as the only person who could make it work consistantly was the guy who'd had a considerable amount of professional voice training...I hope they've gotten better.

Jake