Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Eve Online..stations..

[url]http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/39719/PC/EVE-Online/Trailer/Walking-In-Stations-Teaser-Trailer[/url]

I want to play this game....but time....cannot commit myself to paying, and only play a few hours a week...

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Walking in Stations now eh? Sounds like it could add to the tedious boredom that is eve online.

I played this game for quite some time. I had 3 characters going at once for a while, but sold two of them (for real money). The thing about Eve is, you don't have to play it 24/7. You can get just as far logging in just to set a "skill change" and playing when you can.

You gain new abilities (new ships, weapons and such) through skill training, and you train skills regardless of your online/offline status. You set a skill to train, and it goes until you are finished. You cannot set another one to train after, you must log in to set a new one.

If you want to play, I HIGHLY suggest a mod like Evemon, to help you manage your skill training. It will monitor your currently training skills, let you know when they complete, and can help you decide what skills to train. It does everything but set the skill for you.

Worth mentioning, the server has been live for (i think) 4 years now, and there are guys with over 100 million skill points. One of my online AQM buddies still plays and he is in the top 10 in skill points. So just so you understand, you will be behind a bit. You will be flying in little ships while a good portion of people are in tech level 2 versions of battleships and cruisers and all kinds of fun toys that will take you 8 months to a year of skill training (dedicated skill training) to get into.

Im not really trying to dissuade you from playing, it can be fun. But sometimes it is a hassle. If you really want to play, I think the last character I have left is around 10 million skill points, she has all of her learning skills topped out already which helps her train faster. Good stats too, well rounded. The selling service offered me $100 american dollars for her. I could probably go cheaper as I just don't care about the game anymore.
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    EVE is... different, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. There's just a lot to it. If you want to be a casual player who logs in, mines a few asteroids, and logs out. You can. If you want to engage in acts of brazen piracy. You can. If you want to engage in massive fleet vs fleet missions. You can. If you want to just run NPC missions against computer controlled opponants, You can. If you want to engage in factional warfare, guess what, YOU CAN!

As I'm sure you've guessed, there's many different levels of game play. Unlike other MMOs that force you do to this that or the other to progress in the game and you eventually participate in "end game" events, EVE is literally open ended. You play it the way you want to play it. It can be simple or it can be complicated. It can be lonely or it can be funny as hell, depending on the corp you join.

If you're interested in trying it, grab one of the 14 day trial accounts and give it a whirl. No offense to SpiritOne, but I wouldn't suggest buying an existing account, if only because of how... personalized the gameplay can be. There are so many different options availible, I really suggest you start with what you enjoy, and build from there, rather than spend the money on an existing account only to find out you don't enjoy the path the previous owner took with it. And, again, no offense to SpiritOne, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HOW MANY SKILL POINTS THE NEXT GUY HAS. Fact is, if you've played any other MMO you know that no matter how much you play, unless you've started the moment the servers went live and did nothing but eat, sleep and live that MMO, there's always someone else out there that's higher level or better geared, or whatever. Besides, unless you're going to engage those people in pvp combat, it doesn't matter how many skill points they have.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I dunno, its always been one of those games that I've been tempted by, played a couple of trials, but just never quite been hooked on. I might give it (another!) go after xmas when I hopefully will have some money. But then again I also want to give LotR:O a go too, so we'll see
    Don't worry, I don't take offense.

My problems with the game is what I consider the tedious boredom sessions like strip mining to build ships. Sure you could buy the ships or the materials, but who has the cash for that? If you really want quality stuff, without breaking the bank, you just about have to build it yourself.

I can recall many a night where I had 2 accounts running on my desktop in windowed mode, one on each monitor, strip mining, and a my laptop open beside me with a third account running a hauler to collect all the ore and take it back for processing.

Even with the advanced mining ships it was a long process to build tech level 2 battlecruisers that my main flew, forget building stuff like carriers. We had our little group of guys strip mine an entire solar system. About 11-12 guys running at least 2 accounts strip mining, all with dedicated mining ships, 3-4 guys just doing hauling in the big transport ships struggling to keep up. An entire solar system, something like 40+ belts. Still took us the better part of 10 hours with people coming and going and taking a few breaks.

I remember getting done, warping from sector to sector seeing empty belts (even the big veldspar roids) flying back to our squad station to see if we had enough to cook a carrier and still came up short.

When I played I liked the pvp stuff. But it became fewer and farther between. And it has grown to almost every engagement is a massive fleet battle culminating with who can jump in dreadnaughts, carriers and now the occasional Titan first.

Some of the most fun I had was me and 3 other guys zipping through 0.0 space in battlecruisers (I flew the Amarr one complete with tech lvl 2 lasers) and 1 interceptor to lock down the targets we found. It was a ton of fun. Coming up on the occasional mining ships that had no way of protecting themselves :D We weren't pirates mind you but we certainly terrorized plenty of people.

It would be interesting to see where my main character is now, it is (or was, not sure if its name can be changed) an Amarr pilot called SpiritOne (obviously). I have 30+ million sp when I quit, and was very specialized combat.

By the way, the character that I still have that is not activated is a gallente character, around 10 million skills points, pretty sure she is set up to drive the gallente tech 2 transports and I forget what else.
  • it was fun for the 1.5 years i played it but in the end it required too much time and little in return. as a primarily mission runner me and my corporation prefered pve to pvp (which in many cases is horribly unbalanced especially because of skillpoint and cashflow differences.. going up against fully fitted t2 guys with full snake sets is.. interesting) doing missions in 3 billion isk battleships or over time in ludicrously expensive frigates/destroyers/command ships and hacs (i had a 2.5 billion isk cerberus) got rather dull at the end

blueprint research with our station in highsec made us some money until we got war decced by a bored corp of 100 members who then proceeded to take away our station cause their little lowsec war failed and they wanted to annoy someone... that basically marked the end of my eve career.

one of my buddies still plays, he is now the owner of our characters (my 2 cap ship ready pilots, a specialized support ship guy and 2 heavily specced combat characters - some as old as 3 years with billions in assetts) and even he is bored by now doing lowsec pvp in a big alliance. i miss the game for the looks, i don't really missit for the gameplay. i still say, if they made an X3 like game based on eve it'd sell them oodles of copies...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I just returned to eve. There is a chance that 4 or 5 of us may start a firstones corporation.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I may return to EVE, I've yet to decide. My character is in the 70 million skillpoint range with billions of ISK, so it won't take me long to catch up. The thing is I can't see any fun in the game anymore. It's changed too much.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    To be honest I'm quite looking forward to giving Jumpgate Evolution a go rather than jumping back into Eve again. And of course when Stargate Worlds comes out then I fully anticipate being addicted to that :D
    *looks down at the Jumpgate Evolution Tshirt I am wearing*

I didn't know anyone thought much of that when I posted about it months ago. I have twice gone to see it, once when I was on a trip and found myself in Denver I stopped by the NetDevil studio offices and got to check out the game live and talk to the devs. I also got to walk around the portion of the studios that is making the lego mmo.

Then most recently, they came to the Austin Game Developers Conference, so I drove the 3 hours down to hand out at a TGI Fridays with a few of the devs and some other Jumpgate Pilots, drinking a little booze and talking about the game. Again getting to see its progress in the 10 months between visits.

JG:E looks fantastic. It plays well too. I am hopeful that the beta will start soon, as I have a guaranteed spot in it.
    I'm also looking forward to the new jumpgate as well. However it doesn't seem to allow player owned stations or capital ships at launch, but I really do hope it is a feature that will be added. And [URL="http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity"]Infinity[/URL] holds much promise
    well I can tell you player owned stations will be a priority.

The cap ships in JG is a 7 year old question though.
    Actually a lack of cap ships doesnt bother me too much, simply because it gives such a massive advantage to whoever has got one vs anyone who's not been playing as long. I know you want something to show for all the time invested, but I'd much prefer a shit hot fighter to a capship
    That is comforting to know.
    Balancing capships isn't that difficult. First is the matter of support. Capships should require a great deal of resources to maintain, so really it is a group of people who would own a capital ship. The next is function. A lone capship should be easy to pick of with any decent size group, but a mixed fleet would be a much stronger force.
    you know, if your interested in playing Jumpgate Evolution I have a whole team of guys ready to go that would be glad to add a few more pilots :)

of course, I hope you like combat, we are a Quantar Factional squad and the tip of the spear in combat operations. Oh it will be glorious!
    I was leaning more towards the Octavian Empire myself, but my second choice would probably have been the Quantar ;)

I'm taking my joystick back to my flat tomorrow so I can get some practice flying about again :)
    Octavian??? So you like the taste of babies in the morning?
    Yes, cant beat it!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It's a modest proposal.
  • If you start a firstones corp, I'll leave my current corp...

Not that I'm currently playing...but I managed to get into Goonfleet...which apparently is the largest corp in the game. LMAO. All those resources at my disposal, but if I'm going to play, I want it to be with friends. :)
    I'm willing to try Jumpgate Evolution. Buying a new system soon, but on a budget - what kind of setup will I need?
    Its supposed to be able to run across a variety of systems, so you wont need a high spec rig to run it
    They have been running it at maximum settings both times I saw it. Once on a pretty high end dell laptop, and a second time on pretty much a mid range programming PC. Both times it looked spectacular. They specifically said, they want it to look great, without requiring an upgrade.
    Well, all 2 of us are in the firstones corp in eve now =p
    I'll drop by sometime... I'm pretty much corpless, and have been for sometime. I need to get a new system first, because my laptop is on it's last legs. Since I've come into some money, I think I'm going to splash out for a brand spanking new Dell machine.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    When I look at a game like Eve, I dream about being able to play it a lot, having fun, getting big stuff. But the I discover that it takes months to a year before the fun starts. Last time I was bored after three weeks. So basically, onlinegames aint something that suits me, but it still looks frelling cool whenever I watch a screenshot or video :/
  • [IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/parsimonious/LearningCurve.jpg[/IMG]

too true :D
    awesome pic wiseguy!