Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A book thread...

So what are you reading?

I just finished "[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night-time"]The Curious Indicent of the Dog in the Night-time[/URL] which was fascinating.

Now I am reading [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Alda"]Alan Alda[/URL]'s 2nd book "Things I overheard while talking to myself" which promises to be as much fun as "Never have your dog stuffed".

Oh and these are following a quick read through "A Girl's guide to dating marrying a geek" (christmas gift from Peter)

Oh oh! And I can't wait to get my hands on the new Ender book!

Comments

• JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    The enemies' gate is down eh?

I only read the first book, Ender's Game and I liked it.

But yeah I'm reading a psychiatry book (for research in a writing project)

And a two volume history book that has to do with a battle during world war II. (I'll probably never finish it.) heh
  • It sucks that I've finished all of Robert E. Howard's Conan and Kull stories, but I found out about his Bran Mak Morn stories, so now I've got those to look forward to. Howard writes the best fantasy stories I've ever read.
    I was reading more of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, but with the classes I've got right now, I don't really have time to read right now.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Currently three books I take turns reading a chapter or two of:

The Singularity Is Near by Ray Kurzweil
    The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
    On Combat by Dave Grossman
    Also am I the only one that notices, Dax religiously gives broken links?
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    She does seem to have that tendency :p

Remember, dax...paste once. No clicking needed! The HTTP is pre-selected and will automatically be erased :p (I'll refrain from editing them to allow you to see the error yourself)

Anyway, my current reads are really quite exciting:

The Areas of My Expertise, John Hodgman. Packed with exciting information that is NOT TRUTHFUL IN ANY WAY, this book was a blast to breeze through. I want to be the next great hobo!
    More Information Than You Require, John Hodgman. The sequel (in both name, topic, cover design, and actual starting page increment) to the above book, it continues the tradition of being jam packed with facts that are completely false and without any base. Everyone here should read it.
    Don't Make Me Think!, Steve Krug. Just brushing up on quality design characteristics.
    Making Things Talk, Tom Igoe. I'm attempting to learn more about constructing simple (or slightly less than simple) mechanisms with microcontrollers, such as Arduino. This is one of the best books on the matter.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Now that my exams are over I've been catching up on my reading. In the last 48hrs I've finished two novels:

'The Last Colony' by John Scalizi (3 other books in the series before it, including 'Old Man's War' which is highly entertaining)
    'Cauldron' by Jack McDevitt.

And before them I was reading 'The Last Theorem' by Arthur C Clarke and Frederik Pohl. A very good book, and a nice final novel from Clarke.

Now I'm just about to embark on reading The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, as I've never actually read them :)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Dax;178712]So what are you reading?

I just finished "[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night-time"]The Curious Indicent of the Dog in the Night-time[/URL] which was fascinating.[/QUOTE]

Just one "http://" is enough. :D

Incidentally, I've read that book as well, it's indeed a fascinating book that gives you an intimate look into autism. Highly recommended.
  • I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time, since the last book is due out next year.

Finished Blue like Jazz, which had been on my list for about 3 years.

Patrick I think is next on my list.

Have a few others on my reading list, will post when I get started on them. :)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I'm currently re-reading The Eight by Katherine Neville, it's been 20 year since she wrote it, and she has just published a sequel, so i figured i should re-read it first, it's a brilliant novel, if you've not read it i highly reccomend it.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I'm currently reading Mass Effect: Ascension.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url=http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%9B%B3%E5%8D%97%E3%81%AE%E7%BF%BC%E2%80%95%E5%8D%81%E4%BA%8C%E5%9B%BD%E8%A8%98-%E8%AC%9B%E8%AB%87%E7%A4%BEX%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB%E2%80%95%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%83%8F%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88-%E5%B0%8F%E9%87%8E-%E4%B8%8D%E7%94%B1%E7%BE%8E/dp/4062552299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231944416&sr=1-1]図南の翼[/url]. Thouroughly enjoying it and wishing I had more time to read it. Also reading a book on FastSLAM 2.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    I have no idea what you people are talking about- I am a practically perfect poster! (:P)

If you liked Ender's Game, I recommend reading the parallel series "Ender's Shadow", I like that series better than the other 3 original Ender books (which are still good but a bit far out). This new book is supposed to fit in between when Ender's Game ends and before the next one starts- basically Ender's time on Earth (which is when the Ender's Shadow series takes place). Should be good, I am waiting to borrow it from a friend.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;178727][url=http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%9B%B3%E5%8D%97%E3%81%AE%E7%BF%BC%E2%80%95%E5%8D%81%E4%BA%8C%E5%9B%BD%E8%A8%98-%E8%AC%9B%E8%AB%87%E7%A4%BEX%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB%E2%80%95%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%83%8F%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88-%E5%B0%8F%E9%87%8E-%E4%B8%8D%E7%94%B1%E7%BE%8E/dp/4062552299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231944416&sr=1-1]図南の翼[/url]. Thouroughly enjoying it and wishing I had more time to read it. Also reading a book on FastSLAM 2.[/QUOTE]

Are you reading it or just looking at the pictures? :D
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I think he's reading it alot faster than I'm reading [URL="http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?refShinCode=0100000000000007151246&Action_id=121&Sza_id=B0"]this.[/URL] We just now started to learn some basic kanji on the course.
    Learning kanji is on my to-do list, but I can't seem to get around of doing it. :( I even got some grammar books and dictionaries.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=Dax;178728]I have no idea what you people are talking about- I am a practically perfect poster! (:P)

If you liked Ender's Game, I recommend reading the parallel series "Ender's Shadow", I like that series better than the other 3 original Ender books (which are still good but a bit far out). This new book is supposed to fit in between when Ender's Game ends and before the next one starts- basically Ender's time on Earth (which is when the Ender's Shadow series takes place). Should be good, I am waiting to borrow it from a friend.[/QUOTE]

I've read all but the last book in the Shadow series, so I'll finish that off first I think before getting the new one, just for completeness :) I also prefer the Shadow series to the other Ender books, although the moralising etc is interesting, unless I'm in that sort of mood I find them a bit of a slog to get through.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7043/goodbookdc4.jpg[/url]

A really good book.
  • K. J. Parker - The Engineer Trilogy ([URL="http://www.amazon.com/Devices-Desires-Engineer-Trilogy-Parker/dp/0316003387/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231958044&sr=8-1"]Book 1[/URL])

refreshing and detailed fantasy, for once not your usual hero-saves-world-and-beautiful-lady-and-becomes-king plotline that too many authors are fond of.

for work i am trying to sort through a few of the swarm of darwin biographies and evolution related works (and there's tons of them coming out aaargh!)
    @Stingray Hirigana and Katakana are easy...But Kanji takes skill its basically like trying to learn Mandarin...
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    Artie Lange's Too Fat To Fish was really good actually. Just finished that. Now onto the bunch of Ultimate Spider Man trades I got for Christmas :)
  • Rereading for the umpteenth time, "The Diamond Throne" by David Eddings.

Not long finished reading Starfighters of Adumaar, a Star Wars book.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;178729]Are you reading it or just looking at the pictures? :D[/QUOTE]

Well, since it's a novel, not a picture book...
    [QUOTE=Anla'Shok Douglas Nicol;178743]Not long finished reading Starfighters of Adumaar, a Star Wars book.[/QUOTE]

Not the best of the X-Wing books, but still reasonably entertaining. I dont think there's been many really good SW books in the last few years to be honest.

About a week ago I finished reading the Night's Dawn Trilogy again. Definitely 3 of my favourite books of all time :)

And I've gotten about halfway thru The Hobbit today :)
    @roguetrader I actually saw Artie Lange with his entourage and film crew in West Bury, Borders...I wasn't impressed and I think he wanted the cigarette I was smoking. heh
  • Currently reading [U]Generation Kill[/U], Evan Wright. Pretty good so far. I am interested in military history, especially those accounts that check politics and political correctness at the front cover.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;178745]Well, since it's a novel, not a picture book...[/QUOTE]

I couldn't tell from just looking at the cover if it was a book or a manga. :D

[QUOTE=JohnnyOnTheSpot;178741]@Stingray Hirigana and Katakana are easy...But Kanji takes skill its basically like trying to learn Mandarin...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, so is maths if you just put your mind to it. :)
  • [QUOTE=RedAssAg05;178751]Currently reading [U]Generation Kill[/U], Evan Wright. Pretty good so far.[/QUOTE]

it's a very good book. actually, the miniseres was damn good aswell, i suggest you grab that if you can.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;178753]I couldn't tell from just looking at the cover if it was a book or a manga. :D[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular western belief, Japan actually produces plenty of actual novels alongside their manga. :p If you walk into any common bookstore in Japan (i.e. not one specifically targetting manga), the novel section will dwarf the manga section, with most of that being native creations. From what I'm told, "historical" samurai novels are the most popular genre, especially with young women.

Also, manga and comics arn't really my thing: if it's not full media, I'd rather let my imagination do the work.
  • [quote]actually, the miniseres was damn good aswell, i suggest you grab that if you can.[/quote]

So I have heard. I'm trying to hold out for the Blu-Ray release:)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Just started reading "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.
    Got it from this girl Im, dating? together with? I dunno, I really do like her though.