Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

May be new TV time

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
Well given that the our old CRT Hitachi is begining to fuss about being asked to operate every once in a while, it looks like we may be in the market for a TV. I can't say I am too disappointed, as I've wanted a flat screen for a while, and the prices are just now coming down into the range I'd be willing.

Anyway, I don't know a lot about flat screens, I just know I want the following: 42"; 1080p; fairly inexpensive. Beyond that I am not sure what I want or need.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Jake

Comments

• I went with a Sanyo last year...darn happy with it. (42in 1080p)

Main things, contrast ratio, brightness, and always double check specs elsewhere.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I have a Samsung 40 inch that i LOVE, the samsung 7 series are sweet.

Contrast ration is a big one, make sure that you get one with a high native contrast ration rather than dynamic contrast which can vary.

Also make sure it has at least 3 HDMI ports, nothing worse than getting a TV with 1 or 2 and realising you have 3 components that use HDMI. (the samsungs have 3)

Also, if you know you need 42 inches, don't let the guy at the store talk you into bigger even if it is a better price, i almost did that, they didnt have the 40 i wanted instock, so he tried to get me to buy the 46 inch or a better model of the 40, i went with the better 40, and i'm glad i did, as the 46 would have been too big for the room and i'd have had to return it, those things are much bigger in your living room than they are at the store.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Every time I go to Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo, one of the biggest electronics shops, I walk past the 103" TV. Half of me thinks "One day..." and the other half thinks "Why would I want a TV that big?"
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/stingray_b5/rubbish_tv.jpg[/IMG]

You know, it doesn't really matter which TV you buy... :D
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Heh, that doesn't look like the difference between HD and SD, that looks like the difference between my old 486 and my current Duo powered machine.

I'm kinda leaning toward an LG, the LG50 series seems to have good reviews and TigerDirect has the 42" for $899, but that's $100 or more than I wanted to spend.

I won't have to worry the salesman upselling to a larger size, the 42" is the largest that will fit into our entertainment center...

Jake
  • I have two Samsungs, and have been impressesed and pleased with both. I've heard good things about the Pioneer Kuros, but the Samsung has always seemed to have the best cost/quality ratio for us.
  • That's funny, because I have lost my trust on Samsung in the past month.

First 40 inch 676 LCD decided to die, it's been in a service for 'waiting a spare part' for 2 weeks now.

Then in all of stupidity I bought a 22" Samsung TFT, which contained 2 dead pixels and huge amount of light bleed, or whatever you call it. The store from where I bought it refused to take it back ( I called them the next day ), and told to use warranty. Samsung's pixel specs needs 4 dead pixels for it to be repaired, and light bleed is not a reason to replace the panel.

So here I am, with two brand new malfunct Samsung devices, and actually I'm so pissed that these were the last Samsung products coming to my home in the next 10-20 years.

Good luck with your selection.
    I own two Samsungs, a 26" and a 32" LCD (HD ready) TV and so far no problems... I don't think there is a brand which is 100% failure proof.
    [QUOTE=Freejack;179859]Heh, that doesn't look like the difference between HD and SD, that looks like the difference between my old 486 and my current Duo powered machine.[/QUOTE]

You missed the joke, it's not about resolution, it's about relevant content or the lack thereof. :D
    In that case the picture is deceiving. The rubbish bin is clearly overflowing with content. Just because you don't like watching rubbish... :P
    Ok first question is there any considerable difference between the lower and higher refresh rates these tv have?

Thinking about the aformentioned LG50: [url]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3807009&Sku=L49-4232[/url]

Or a refurbed Toshiba with the higher 120Hz refresh: [url]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4187758&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=TBBTkwCjCVyBpAgf%20mwzygtCjCVRqCjCVRq[/url]

Jake
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    My parents have a Samsung TV (40"). We have a 40" Samsung at work (used with a computer). My parents have a smaller samsung TV also. And we have about 15 samsung monitors (not TVs) at work ranging from 19" to 26".

The only problem we had was one monitor that failed well within their 3 year warrenty and they fixed it with no cost to us. We've been very happy with their products.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;179877]In that case the picture is deceiving. The rubbish bin is clearly overflowing with content. Just because you don't like watching rubbish... :P[/QUOTE]

Usually you toss away rubbish... I don't want to know what you use your trash can for. :D

Logic isn't what it used to be. It's amazing what we manage to do with it.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;179882]Usually you toss away rubbish... I don't want to know what you use your trash can for. :D[/QUOTE]

Isn't it obvious? I sit and stare at it as the rubbish piles up, observing the many unique civilisations that appear. It's really quite fascinating.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    My fiancee and I just bought a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC46D65U-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B001E8YQ1Q"]Sharp Aquos 46"[/URL] and I love it. Clear picture, good price. I'm happy. :) It comes in a 42" as well.
    And Sharp Aquos is the Official TV of MLB....
    Yeah, and Coke is the Official Soda Pop of the White House, but it's still just as bad for you. :D
    Yeah, I am so excited! My wife just called and said the our new [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC40E67U-40-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B001TK3EN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242237731&sr=8-1"]Sharp 40" 67U[/URL] series arrived! Our household has finally arrived in the 21st century. I can't wait to get home and play with it...

Jake
    if it's an LCD than it is already obsolete, LED is the wave of the future... :)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Laser Projection!
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;181527]if it's an LCD than it is already obsolete, LED is the wave of the future... :)[/QUOTE]

Maybe in ten years. :) However, LCD with LED backlighting will most likely be the mainstream within the next year or two. Vizio is supposedly coming out with a 50+ in. LCD with LED backlighting that can locally dim.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Getting a new HD projector in a month or so. Havent decided yet which...Would be nice with full HD, but possible I go for the "cheap HD" version:

[url]http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=328968[/url]

But this one would be sweet:
    [url]http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=434832[/url]
    I was checking out one of the new samsung LED's at Breast Buy, it looks SWEET< but i'm not paying $2600 for a TV.
    You do your TV shopping in the red light district?
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    I've got a 42" LG LCD HD tv and its bloody brilliant,even got pc hooked up to it,never go back too little weenie monitors.:D
    Of course, thats the breast place to buy a TV.
    Watched Serenity last nice on SciFiHD. Looked great and sounded great with the 5.1 working.

The only complaints I'd have is the speakers are a bit tinny which I think is fairly indicative for flat screens. Its not a big deal since the heavy lifting is done by our Sony reciever.

Second, I can't get the TV's TOSKLINK to join up with the surround sound receiver. Again, not a big deal since the UVerse box also have an TOSLINK connection and that seems to link fine with the receiver. It may have something to do with the HDMI feed from the UVerse box.

Only things I need to do is tweek the color settings to the room and finally get my rear channel speakers wired and installed.

Jake