Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Hey Sanfam, my wife wants a Volvo....

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
We need a wagon, and she's talking about a Volvo...I'm thinking 850.

Jake

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Probably a solid bet. Go for a T5-R :D I mean, er...you'd probably be [B]safest[/B] being provided the greatest ability to escape dangerous situations with the T5-R. That generation, including its renaming as the V70, offered some reasonable products. Just beware that maintenance costs can build up (especially for the later years). I've heard that quality took a dive in the last year and a half of its life.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Looking at Craigslist/ebay/etc, it seems like there can be some decent values in the 850s. There are a few sub 100K mileage examples that can be had in the 5 to 6 grand range.

If I have this right
    850 is to V70 what 960 is to V90?

Which Volvos are Ford based?

Jake
    Correct on the names.

Well, none were really "Ford-based" so much as manufactured during ford's ownership. Most platforms were straight-up donated to ford, anyway :P I'd avoid any early S60 or S80, though. They're just god awful in terms of reliability and I'd never wish one upon even my most hated of enemies. Plus, the back seats in the S60 are nearly a form of turture on their own.

Though you do also bring up the V90, some more modern examples of which can be had fairly affordably. the later models used the modern whiteblock engine/transmission pairings and were generally somewhat robust (though interference design).

I'd actually suggest a S/V90 over an 850/S/V70 simply due to the fact that the late-model S/V90's had somewhat better build quality than the entire 850/70 model run and were generally better equipped. Also, RWD. :D 1996 is a sweet spot for quality, but apparently took a power cut over the previous years.

Since she's looking at volvo, I'd also suggest extending some interest toward Saab and Subaru. There's some viable products found in each family that tend to cater to the same target audience, often carrying similar values in the used market.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Thankfully they don't make the V90 anymore... :D
    Wise man say...do not taunt he with hammer of ban. :p

You can't help but love the bitchin' V90. Fun fact: With the seats folded down, trunk can also serve as a double bed! Nothing sinister or creepy about that at all. Oh no. Especially not when in the context of wives and wifely duties ;)
    You know you've been married a long time when you look at the back of the wagon/van/SUV and rather than consider the benefits of allowing two people lie side-by-side comfortably you think [i] I wonder if a sheet of plywood would fit in there?[/i]

Jake
    If Volvo got anything from the partnership with Ford is the importance of overall design and character. Functionality just isn't enough. We'd all be eating beans and drinking water if that were the case. :D
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    From a bit of reading I've done apparently most of Fords electrics are based on Volvo's designs. The article said this would make it hard for Ford to break from Volvo because of this reliance.

I've never driven a Saab but friends who have (mostly rentals/hire cars during repair work) found them terrible. Build quality was bad they said with the cabin poorly fitted, which is odd given that Saab give the impression of being a quality brand (and almost able to fly because of the Saab fighter jet connection ;)). They are just a rebadged GM anyway (mostly Vauxhall Vectra over here... well were, now that the Signum is out, but probably still the same). Saying that I do like the old Saab 900 from the 80s. Back when Saab was really Saab :)
    While its built on the same platform as the Vectra and has some substantial parts interchange, the 9-3 does manage to be a pretty decent car. Also, I tend to place low value in problems on rental cars. :P My personal experience with Saabs have been that they're about eight years behind the curve and twice as costly as they need to be. New, a waste of time and money. Used, however, a solid buy.

Also, part of why I like the Volvo 960/V90 is because it will take 4x8 just fine with the rear seatbacks folded down and the cushions removed. Over the life of my wagon, it has fit two complete kitchen refrigerators into the back. I was able to close the tailgate for one of them! :p The 850 is somewhat less space-friendly, but it does handle and ride better. (The 960/V90 can be made to do so with minimal effort, but that's a task versus having to simply buy the car).
    Is a V90 IRS or old fashioned floating axle?

Jake
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Odd, my wife wants a Starfury... She'd settle for a starfleed runabout though
    IRS found its way into all of the 760/960 model family, V90 included (though Volvo really got live axle down at the end of the run)
    Well, we're heading out car shopping this morning. We've narrowed the selection down to:

Benz E320 4Matic Wagon
    V70 Turbo Awd
    V90

Hopefully we'll find something cool today.

Jake
    Well, we ended up on the E320 wagon. We test drove a V90, and it didn't feel nearly as substantial as the E series and while it was a few thousand more, the one we got was two years newer with less miles, had AWD and the third row jump seat than the V90.

The biggest difference though was simple the "solidity" of the E320. The Volvo felt like a 10 year old car with 100K+ miles, it drove well and was quiet enough, but has its share of squeaks and rattles. On the other hand the MB was solid as a rock, not so much as a chirp over rough pavement, RR tracks, etc. Add in a few more options and nicer interior and it just fit what we wanted better.

Jake
    Well, the two brands just don't compare. If given the choice, you'll have to really want a Volvo if you can pick a Benz instead. A no-brainer really. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Benz still exists?
    Yeah, it's a miracle after the failed marriage with Chrysler. :D
    yeah, an MB easily out classes the volvos in both comfort and build feel, so choosing that was a good idea.
    I've also run across a website that should help mitigate the single biggest complaint from MB owners - maintenance costs. Benzworld.org has one of the best how-to collections I've seen from car site and lots of links to in..er..less expensive parts

I've also run across one of the best diagnostic tools I've seen: [url]http://thee85.com/mercedes_multiplexer_carsoft_74[/url] It seems that can even diagnose minor electrical problems like fuse blown in a window regulator.

Jake
    Welp, last night we brought home a white 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon...definitely a nice ride...

Jake