Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

WORFWORF The Burninator
Not related to the other thread I started. This is about the James Cameron movie.

The teaser (the real one) was released today, looks very impressive.

[URL="http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/"]Link[/URL]

Worf

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Lookin good! :)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Looks [i]very[/i] interesting.

One thing though, that i think is a marketing frackup: "From the director of Titanic" doesn't make me want to watch the film.
    "From the director of The Terminator" or "Terminator 2" or "Aliens" or "True Lies" on the other hand makes me much more excited.
    And while it's understandable that they want to attract people who watched Titanic, but might be turned of by the Cameron's other movies, i don't think those people are the right target for early teasers...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    They probably looked at what his most profitable/recent movie was, which also just happens to be his most recent.

Terminator and Aliens also have Terminator 3/Salvation and Alien vs Predator associated with them, so that would put off people too.

They know scifi fans are going to watch Avatar anyway, so they don't need to focus so much on us.

Worf
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I'll have to check this one out later on a Mac.
    Yeah, it's nice. A dense cocktail of several scifi/fantasy ingredients. It might actually work. The visuals are certainly great. I'm still a bit skeptical how this movie is going to translate into a fresh game. They certainly took their time with it, so it's unlikely to be the regular rush job that they'll try to shove down our throats.

You'll like it if you like blue cat people. It's a Pocahontas-StarWarsEpisodeOne-JurassikPark-WingCommander-Battletech-Apocalypto original movie. Gee, I wonder where James Cameron gets his ideas from? :D
  • I still liked the fake one better.

After watching this, the stupid dragon film (Luckily can't remember the name) with Rosewell actor came into my mind.. And that really wasn't a good film.
    Well, there wasn't nearly enough blue in it, so, no, it's not even close.
    And here's the [URL="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-avatar/54752?r=1"]official Avatar - The Game trailer[/URL].

Looks nice, but you can't really tell if it's going to be any good.
  • That trailer was pretty :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Indeed, doesnt give away much about the gameplay tho. But yes, it does look at the very least intriguing!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I really liked it. My fiance is real worried that it will suffer the same problems as Episode 1, the director got carried away with showing off their shiny new computer toys without having a substantial story.
    It's possible, especially since this is his first movie in over a decade.

Worf
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    For some reason I am getting Farscape vibes from the trailer.
    [QUOTE=WORF;183773]It's possible, especially since this is his first movie in over a decade.

Worf[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the maker of Aliens, Terminator 2, The Abyss and Titanic is likely to forget how to make a great movie and mess this one up. I don't think I'm taking a great risk when I say that [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsfjoxheUU"]he knows what he's doing.[/URL] :)
    The man who gave us Star Wars, Willow, THX 1138, Indiana Jones (okay so he had help with that one) and others took a nice long break, only to return with The Phantom Menace.

Worf
    Yeah well, nobody's perfect. :D

In my book James Cameron is a better movie maker than George Lucas. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki1qiUrMENs"]I believe Mark Kermode says it best about Geroge Lucas' abilities.[/URL]

It's just sad that Stan Winston isn't there any more to help develop the creatures for Avatar.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ceBgWV8io[/url]

New trailer.

I'm starting to think that this movie isnt for me.. Cuz I'm all out for the human side. That military commander is damn cool. I've seen him in a few other movies, and actually best remember him from two american civil war movies.

And prolly will remember him from The Men Who Stare At Goats soon too.
    Speaking of which, I think Yoda dyslexic he is. :D
    The cop chick from [I]Lost[/I] is playing in it too. It can't be all bad then. :D
  • well, she should have taken her role a bit more serious. If I remember correctly, she was jailed for drunk driving in this world we live in.

What's with "The Island" music in that trailer anyway?
    She's not bad, just evil. :D
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Refa, I'm mostly with you, I saw the first trailer and thought "AWESOME!" then after seeing the newest trailer, i thought "meh"

I'm nowhere near as excited about seeing it after the new trailer, i may just wait to see it on Blu-Ray. unless it comes to my local $5 theatre.
    Maybe the game will be better. :D
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    These trailers just aren't doing anything for me. All nice visual goodness, but no dialog means no understanding of the existence of a plot and thus no desire to see.
    The plot as far as I can tell from the trailer involves some precious mineral that's located where the blue aliens are and the humans are trying at first to "convince" said aliens to leave by infiltrating their ranks with those "avatars." The avatars switch sides as push comes to shove (the wheelchair driver probably falls in love with the chieftain's daughter, for good measure) and all ends in an epic battle. The good guys win. Roll credits.

Gee, those plots write themselves. Are they actually getting paid for this? :D

If this doesn't sound compelling to you, then this movie isn't for you. I'm more curious about the game than I am about the movie.
  • [QUOTE=Random Chaos;185113]These trailers just aren't doing anything for me. All nice visual goodness, but no dialog means no understanding of the existence of a plot and thus no desire to see.[/QUOTE]

and I thought people bitched and moaned about how the entire plot is revealed in trailers
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Didn't say I wanted to see the whole plot in the trailer, but I'd like the trailer to have a little dialog so that you know at least the characters can speak :p - and that plot exists :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;185114]Gee, those plots write themselves. Are they actually getting paid for this? :D[/QUOTE]

Yes, because it's not that easy. Someone has to write all the corny romance dialogue. :p
    I still think it looks like it'll be worth seeing on the big screen. May even venture to the Imax for it.

Worf
    I agree that is what the plot will probably turn out to be, but even so I'll still go see it. Why? Because there wont be anything else worth seeing heh