Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Join the Book Club...

124»

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    I am awaiting the 20th Anniversary reprint of Heir to the Empire.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=JackN;193166]I just found this in a $3 bin, gonna start reading it soon. a Novella... :)[/QUOTE]

Well that was an interesting read...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=WORF;193167]I am awaiting the 20th Anniversary reprint of Heir to the Empire.[/QUOTE]
    Frak me, is it really 20 years since that came out?!? Seems like yesterday :(
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I have started Ringworld. It has become my lunchtime reading. Wish me well. (so far, I merely myself for not getting into it sooner)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I keep meaning to go back to read the Ringworld sequels, not gotten round to it yet tho
    You know, I have all four of them... I should read them from the start again. I just can't get over Teela Brown's "Luck" [B][I]though[/I][/B]... :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Spoiler: It didn't work out that great for her, though.
    Hah hah hah.... I know you're right! ;)
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I just finished The Black Company and really enjoyed it. I'm definetly going to read the next one. Has anyone else read these books?
    Can't say I have. Who's the author?
    Glen Cook.
    I'm about halfway through the third book of The Black Company (the first three were a trilogy at least, though he did write more afterwords) and I'm really enjoying this series. It really does take these huge fantasy empires fighting and such stories and take it to a more personal level, I think. Pretty much all of the characters are horrible bastards, including the main character, but they're still very likeable. I'm enjoying The Black Company way more than I did The Lord of the Rings. I find The Lady, The Dominator, and the Taken much more interesting villians than Sauran and his allies. Of course, to me, there's no better fantasy than Robert E. Howard's, but Glen Cook is definetly a writer I'm going to want to check out more from.
  • Well I finished the tenth and final book in the Black Company series. Overall, I would recommend it if you like dark and gritty fantasy. The books do kind of drag from book 4 on, but he writes well enough that I didn't really mind it, except that it takes a long time to get answers to some questions. The initial trilogy was the best, and the first book I'd say was the very best of them, so I would at least really recommened the first three books, The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose. I would love to see these books get The Game of Thrones treatment. There are so many battles in these books that would be awesome to see. The Lord of the Rings wishes it had battles as badass as what these books have.

Now I'm going to reread my precious Boogiepop books, and cry to myself because these four are the only ones that were ever translated and released outside of Japan, and ever will be.

Oh yeah and OMG D00DZ!!!!11!1 P0ST 1000!!!!!!!1!!1!1
    I've recently gone through all but the most recent of the Alex Benedict novels by Jack McDevitt. They're excellently-paced and very imaginative books. [i]Seeker[/i] in particular deserves the awards it got, but I particularly enjoyed [i]A Talent for War[/i]. My only complaint is that he can't seem to keep his time frames right.
    Jack McDevitt is a particular favourite of mine. The Alex Benedict novels are a very entertaining read, tho I think his "Academy" novels are also very good. [I]Infinity beach[/I], which is also called [I]Slow Lightning[/I] in some parts of the world is a stand alone novel that is also a very good read.

I haven't really read much of note recently. Over xmas and new year I reread the Night's Dawn trilogy, but reading has taken a back seat to work and games.
  • Currently halfway through a Dance with Dragons, and reading D&D campaign settings for the game I'm running.

Would love to read the B5 books but they're not on kindle... and I <3 my kindle.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;194823]Jack McDevitt is a particular favourite of mine. The Alex Benedict novels are a very entertaining read, tho I think his "Academy" novels are also very good.[/quote]

I started the first of those this week. It's very good so far.

[quote][I]Infinity beach[/I], which is also called [I]Slow Lightning[/I] in some parts of the world is a stand alone novel that is also a very good read.[/quote]

That one's on my shelf to be read, along with [i]Time Travellers Never Die[/i].
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Out of curiosity, do you guys still purchase regular (paper) books or have you gone all digital yet? I suppose it also depends whether the ebook is available... I tried Kindle on my iPhone and while it's neat, it's a bit too small to read from, so a tablet is a must.
    I'm still all paper, except for technical books, where I tend to get the combos for convenience. The problem is that the DPI on the ereaders is still pathetic. Maybe once they fix that, and make the screen bigger than half a paperback, I'll look at them again.

There's also something nice about holding a real book that you don't get with an ereader.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;194851]I'm still all paper, except for technical books, where I tend to get the combos for convenience. The problem is that the DPI on the ereaders is still pathetic. Maybe once they fix that, and make the screen bigger than half a paperback, I'll look at them again.

There's also something nice about holding a real book that you don't get with an ereader.[/QUOTE]

I've contemplated getting a Kindle (el cheapo one for ~$79). I've been using Kindle for PC to get a feel of how to use it.

I have a question though, do all the Kindle models display in color (Photo, etc) or just the Kindle Fire?

And like Biggles, nothing like curling up when the power is out and using the low tech version... ;)
    Its just the Fire that is colour, but it uses a traditional multi-touch screen rather than an e-ink display to achieve it. In other words, it's a small tablet rather than an e-reader.

As for paper vs electronic, it mostly depends on price and whether its a book I'm reading to fill time, or one I'm reading because I actually [I]want[/I] to read it. If its one that I really want to read, I usually buy it in paper/hardback, because when I finally buy my own place I want to have a room filled with bookshelves and books, and ebooks dont sit very well on a bookcase ;)

I am tempted to get an e-reader, even tho I've got an ipad, because I find the e-ink much easier on the eyes after a long period of time than a backlit display
    Good to know, thanks! :)
    So basically, If I were to get a Kindle fire, I might as well just get an iPad or Tablet with an eReader...

:p
    Pretty much. There's certainly a kindle app for the ipad and androids