Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Windows 7

E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
Anyone else tried it?
Have been testing RC and looks like Macro$hit just wants deeper into Win$hit for the dumb, dumber&the dumbest world.
Now you can't even get classic/XP-style start-menu for good functionality with lot of program shortcuts etc forcing you to get extra programs to do the job OS should do!
[url]http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-good-old-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-7/[/url]
Also XP's search had lot better access to search options... Hell, in it even newer users could have easily used more advanced search settings while now all they have is one text prompt!

At least they've gotten overal operation faster than in [url=http://www.sanakirja.org/search.php?q=virtsa&l=17&l2=3]Virtsa[/url]/[url=http://www.sanakirja.org/search.php?id=154138&l2=3]Visva[/url]/[url=http://www.sanakirja.org/search.php?q=vitsaus&l=17&l2=3]Vitsaus[/url] but that still isn't enough to make it so likable when whole thing is aimed "for Dummies".

If any of you sees M$ developers/bigshots could you please relay my message by punching them to face? :angryv:

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm using it at the moment. My overall impression of it is good, but then I'm not using it for anything fancy beyond playing games and doing uni work
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I'm also using it atm. There are few things in UI regard I miss from XP but alot of non-UI stuff is working better. Also I havn't used the program menu really that much as I just use the quick search.
  • using it now and then, in quite a few games more stable than xp or vista. the lack of startmenu functions will not be a stopping point. i am using [URL="http://www.launchy.net/"]launchy[/URL] a lot on xp so most of my program launching is done via that.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    That's creepy. What do you need Windows for if you are still working with hotkeys? :D

I know, the GUI is wasted on some users... but this is ridiculous. :D Not to mention the touch-screen features... oh my.

I can't believe you would admit to that in public.... hotkeys???
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I have been using it exclusively for quite a while now. Before the release candidate came out anyway. I like it. It runs great, its smooth, it uses less memory than vista but can handle more memory than vista. It doesn't lock up. I have experienced no software related issues outside of playing Fallout 3 and having Fallout 3 crash on me.

Currently running an AMD Quad Core 3GHZ processor and 8GB of DDR2 Memory.
  • I can't use it. My board's NIC is incompatible with 7 (32 or 64 bit). Microblunder done it again. And I got a fairly good system, Pentium D 3.2ghz dual core with 4 gigs of ram and a 9800 GTX+. I never got any further than installing it because I couldn't download any updates. And now apparenly my board went screwy and XP won't recognise ati cards, and vista has massive audio static/glitching/skipping with geforce cards. (The board was made for Geforce SLI configs) So 7 won't be seeing my house until the next release of windows forces me to build a new system.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;184448]I can't believe you would admit to that in public.... hotkeys???[/QUOTE]

I spend most of my time at work in a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome_%28window_manager%29]mouse-less window manager[/url]. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I've been running it in one form or another since the beta release. I had it running on my media center since the RC, and have been contently upgrading systems across my home without any trouble or real complaints. My primary system will be moved over on a more permanent basis soon enough...

Also, regarding the start thing, the classic nav is gone, but that's largely for the better. There are now other significantly improved means of navigating the menu tree than the older point-hover-wait-click, and this is from the perspective of a user with several hundred items in the programs branch.

Also, Trident, I wouldn't particularly blame one NIC not working straight off the bat on Microsoft. If it worked under vista, it should work just fine under 7 excluding some extremely strange circumstances. Worst case scenario, any reasonably recent chipset should have drivers out already. Regardless, it sounds like there's obviously other issues at hand, given the numerous other simultaneous problems.

I've got no significant issues with it, and have only seen improvements all-around. Get over it, XP is antiquated and the usability design and structure of the OS is far from optimal. I settled into it just like everyone else, but just because 7 changes things doesn't make it automatically bad. It took me a little while to get into a style of operation better suited to using it, but that's trivial compared to the time troubleshooting vista's quirky and inconsistent UI or anything else along those lines. Everything is logically sorted, content just plain makes sense, and things--for the most part--just work.

Hell, 7MC is the best iteration of the Windows Media Center platform yet. I'm completely loving every single improvement it has with it.
  • Sanfam:
    You don't know the problems I've come across the years trying to get equipment/software to work correctly.

I have a desktop that blows out PS's for no apparent reason.... And couldn't run the newer games because it only supported low end apg gpu's. But it ran good when it did, but when I installed vista (it said it was compatible), the soundblaster (no onboard audio) didn't allow the os to boot at all when the drivers were installed. Creative wouldn't reply to my support requests.

So I had to build a new desktop to play the newer games and support the newer OS. The DVD-RW wouldn't play dvd movies (a flaw in the model line, but lite-on wouldn't replace). I had to replace it's case because the old case cracked too badly because I went to put in a second dvd-rw so I could watch dvd's. Then the Geforce 7600 GS's were getting too hot despite I put fans on them thus causing memory errors causing the system to crash 10 minutes in any 3d app. Then when I got the 9800 gtx, the audio static/skipping/etc... started in. I put one 7600 in, it still did it. I stripped down to 1 gig ram, one hd, and one card, onboard audio, still static. I put a radeon card in, the audio was good. I run it in XP mode, XP won't recognise the card at all. Correct drivers to the model number and everything. And the radeon card is lower end than the 7600's. Then it randomly de-registers vista and won't online register it, so I have to use that 20 minute register thing though the phone. I have tried differnt cards, differnt hard drives, differnt audio devices. Then when I tried to install 7, I looked everywhere, and talked to who ever I could. They said the Asus p5nsli board is incompatible with 7 period. Asus's latest driver for the board is fracking '06! I've tried newer drivers, inbetween drivers... I've done everything humanly possible, but the solution is the same. And you know what they ask me when I inquired.... have you tried a differnt monitor and cable.... Well.... NO SHIT SHERLOCK of course I did, I told you in my first message all the steps I did. Support is stupid.

So I've come to the conclusion...
    I'm packing the comptuer up.
    I'm giving up on computers completly.
    I'm done... tired of trying to fix things that are purposly made to break.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Dude that really sucks! You should just buy a dell! Sure theyre crap, but at least you won't have [I]that[/I] many problems lol :p
    I think that if I were someone who designs computer components, I'd be pretty offended by rediculous assertions that they are "purposly made to break."
    [QUOTE=Biggles;184457]I spend most of my time at work in a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awesome_%28window_manager%29]mouse-less window manager[/url]. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah and you probably wear a binary calculator red LED watch. :D

I do use hotkeys as well... copy/paste, undo, select all just to name a few.

I hardly ever use the windows keys... it's probably my unconscious disdain for anything MS. Yeah, it's a love & hate relationship.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    It isn't a windows key, it is the meta key :D
    Whatever they are called, they are mightily annoying. :D

Instant crash on old games...
  • I've learned it's good to be able to use an OS sans keyboard, or sans mouse. Far easier to do just keyboard than just mouse. But there have been troubleshooting scenerios where one or the other doesn't work, drivers fail to install, etc...

That said, been using Win7 since the RC came out, and love it. Making the switch from XP to it once I get my copy.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I guess i'll have my copy on Nov 2nd., kinda annoys me since Apple was able to get my my copy of Snow Leopard on the day it was released, but Microsoft is making me wait 10 days.
  • [QUOTE=E.T;184440]Macro$hit[/QUOTE]This is where I stopped reading.
  • **gives Vertigo a high 5**
  • Moving upwards in Microsoft products is called evolution. Believing that Linux will rise and save the world is called religion.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I am not sure I would call it evolution, more like osmosis. Quite a few of these new touted features existed in Macs, Linux, or BSD first.
    [QUOTE=Vertigo_1;184520]This is where I stopped reading.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Trident;184521]**gives Vertigo a high 5**[/QUOTE]

Obviously you haven't lived through the early decades of MS, so you probably have a different view of the company. The Dark Side isn't so bad in the prequels either. :D
  • I've worked with MS products since MS-DOS 3.2. I had to deal with editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat and putting system files in and what not. I loved the command interface back in thoes days. You didn't have to worry about the computer freezing when you moved the mouse. I didn't learn networking until Win 98 though, I could only imagine the network horrors in DOS. But as for system stability, DOS was a hell lot more stable, and you didn't need all that GUI junk to run what you needed. Microcrap lost their way when they went to 95 with IE intergration. As for GUI, 3.1 was fun to tinker with, but still could do stuff without it. 95 was buggy. 98 was more stable. ME took me from zero to pissed in .02 nanoseconds. XP was ok, but starting to push the envelope of being absurd especially with updates. Vista is just plain absurd (3 hours of downloading and installing updates for new installs). I can't even imagine the horrors that 7 will bring to the world (let alone the price tag it's going to cost anyone who wants it to upgrade so their system will even think of being compatiable). I worked from the 286sx 386dx, 486dx2, pentium, athalons, P2's were a joke, xp, amd, intel, up to the pentium d dual core I can't even use now because of bullshit. I even worked with Linux back in the day of the pentium, and getting linux to work on a Packof Hell (Packard Bell) was insane, but possible to do. In today's time you got three choices. If you want to play a majority of games and have a huge wallet, you suffer with MS. If you want stability and security with an average person's wallet, you go with linux. If you want stability and have a huge wallet, you go with mac. That's how it all boils down to.
    So say we all! :D

[I]Semper Craptacular![/I]
    [QUOTE=Trident;184534]I've worked with MS products since MS-DOS 3.2. I had to deal with editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat and putting system files in and what not. I loved the command interface back in thoes days. You didn't have to worry about the computer freezing when you moved the mouse. I didn't learn networking until Win 98 though, I could only imagine the network horrors in DOS. But as for system stability, DOS was a hell lot more stable, and you didn't need all that GUI junk to run what you needed. Microcrap lost their way when they went to 95 with IE intergration. As for GUI, 3.1 was fun to tinker with, but still could do stuff without it. 95 was buggy. 98 was more stable. ME took me from zero to pissed in .02 nanoseconds. XP was ok, but starting to push the envelope of being absurd especially with updates. Vista is just plain absurd (3 hours of downloading and installing updates for new installs). I can't even imagine the horrors that 7 will bring to the world (let alone the price tag it's going to cost anyone who wants it to upgrade so their system will even think of being compatiable). I worked from the 286sx 386dx, 486dx2, pentium, athalons, P2's were a joke, xp, amd, intel, up to the pentium d dual core I can't even use now because of bullshit. I even worked with Linux back in the day of the pentium, and getting linux to work on a Packof Hell (Packard Bell) was insane, but possible to do. In today's time you got three choices. If you want to play a majority of games and have a huge wallet, you suffer with MS. If you want stability and security with an average person's wallet, you go with linux. If you want stability and have a huge wallet, you go with mac. That's how it all boils down to.[/QUOTE]
    Dude....paragraphs! :p
    [QUOTE=E.T;184440]Anyone else tried it?
    Have been testing RC and looks like Macro$hit just wants deeper into Win$hit for the dumb, dumber&the dumbest world.
    Now you can't even get classic/XP-style start-menu for good functionality with lot of program shortcuts etc forcing you to get extra programs to do the job OS should do![/QUOTE]

Expecting MS to support everything from past operating systems is why Windows has all the problems it has today. It's so loaded down with years of cruft that it's huge, bloated, slower than it should be, and full of security holes. If you like OSX, think about what it would be like if Apple had to support all previous versions of MacOS natively. Adding new features and dropping old is natural.

Thankfully, MS is moving a little in the same direction Apple did and using a VM for full legacy support in 7, but they're still keeping most of the cruft around. Why? Because that's what their customers demand. Apple was in the ironically fortunate position of having, relatively, almost no customers. It's a lot easier to move all legacy support to a less-than-ideal solution when you don't have hundreds of millions of customers. :p
  • i was told that by having Vista ultimate 64 that it is pretty much pointless to upgrade to 7, my comp is reaching 5 years old probably my new build should have it when ever that happens.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    That's like saying just because you've got Vista Home Premium you don't need to upgrade to 7 Home Premium.

The usability enhancements that make windows 7 worth buying simply cannot be found in or added to any version of vista.
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;184549]The usability enhancements that make windows 7 worth buying simply cannot be found in or added to any version of vista.[/QUOTE]

I thought 7 was based on Vista? Just from a programming stand-point I believe you are mistaken. You can even make XP behave like Vista. It will crash at the drop of a hat. :D
  • I'm getting the full Corporate version for $10 :)
    [QUOTE=Stingray;184550]I thought 7 was based on Vista? Just from a programming stand-point I believe you are mistaken. You can even make XP behave like Vista. It will crash at the drop of a hat. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that's a usability [i]enhancement[/i].