Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Some questions about comp sci

So, I've been out of school for a couple years now. I've got a BA in political science and worked campaigns and for non-profits for the past 3 years. Then realized I just don't enjoy that anymore. So I quit my job, moved out of DC and back to MA to figure out what I want to do. Then today I had the revelation today that maybe I should've gone for computer science after all. So I guess the question is, what do you do once you're got an undergrad degree and want to change completely and get into comp sci?

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but wouldn't it have been wiser to first figure out what to do and then quit? At least that's how I would have done it, unless the job really sucked.

My first thing to do would be to see if the institute that gave me the BA has a CS program. That way you don't loose on the transfer of credits if you decide to sign up there.

Other than that, you need to have the cash and willingness to stick with the books for a few more years. You can't really say how saturated the job market for CS majors will be when you graduate, but good code monkeys are always wanted as far as I can tell. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    First, Stingray's advice about the credits is good advice.

Secondly, you need to decide if you want to be a computer scientist or a programmer. If you want to be a computer scientist, you need to find a good university teaching a proper computer science degree (where theory comes before learning Java, for example). If you want to be a programmer, a software engineering degree will serve you better, and you should also look at going to a vocational school for programming (if you can find a good one - I don't know what the availability of them is like in the US).
    As far as I remember, the difference between a programmer and a computer scientist is the degree. If you are a bachelor or master of computer science, you belong to the programmer or software engineering class, once you got a PhD, you are considered a computer scientist.

I don't know how long you plan to stick around campus, but the odds are you'll end up a code monkey first. :D

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If you like updates, bugs, undocumented features, deadlines, long hours, this job's for you. And I'm not even joking.
  • I would say my interests are more in the direction of research and that if I'm going back to school, I'm going back in a big way. I'm still feeling this whole thing out at this point.
    In that case, you need to look at the details of the computer science program you consider applying for. Find out what languages they use in teaching, and try to get a feel for what their focus is on. If they teach Scheme in the first lecture of the degree, you're on to a winner. ;) If absolutely everything is taught in Java, be afraid, because it means the degree is more vocational-focused than research-focused.
  • That's good to know. Now, I just need to figure out how I go about doing this without repeating undergrad :)
    I'm pretty sure you forgot everything you've ever learned. :D
  • Nah, I studied politics and then lived it. Had my fill though. Not a whole lot relevant to CS though ;)
    Unfortunately, I don't think that there will be much cross-credit between the BA and the BSc. ;)
    Hehe, I would never have thought to file politics under arts. :D
  • Beware Stingray: I know how to debate that :p

Anyway, got in touch with the director of graduate studies at Boston University. Have a clear idea of what I need to do. Time to bone up on math, and going to take an intro programming course at the local community college just to get my feet wet in the meantime.
    Here's something that will really get your feet wet:

[url]http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/[/url]

Go through those and you'll have both a good idea of what you're in for and a nice head-start on the course.
  • Oh nice, much appreciated! You're in research aren't you?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    If you can call plotting to take over the world with a robot minion horde research, then yes he is! :p
    What else is there to do from inside a nutrient tank? :D
    Float around. Sometimes, for a bit of excitement, I float up to the top of the tank. Otherwise, if I'm feeling lazy, I just float around the middleish region.

[QUOTE=rcmodels;186478]Oh nice, much appreciated! You're in research aren't you?[/QUOTE]

I am indeed.