Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Walter Koenig's son is missing

WORFWORF The Burninator
Heard about this via Felicia Day :(

[URL="http://thecomicscomic.typepad.com/thecomicscomic/2010/02/has-anyone-seen-andrew-koenig-boner-from-growing-pains-missing-since-214-in-vancouver.html"]Link[/URL]

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    One week is indeed starting to get long. Lots going on in Vancouver right now, it's probably not going to make it any easier to find him.
  • wow, hope he's OK...
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yeah. A week is a bit long to just be out of touch without a phone.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    It doesn't look good :(

[URL="http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Body+missing+actor+found+Stanley+Park/2613464/story.html"]Link[/URL]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    :(
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I feel for his family, losing ones son must be one of the hardest things imaginable. :(
  • Damn...that sucks. :(
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    :(
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    It's a sad time for them. You have to admire Walter for his comments during the speech though, trying to encourage people with similiar problems his son had to think before they make the decision.
    Very sad indeed. :(

Depression is a serious condition and it often goes undiagnosed for long periods of time, often until it is too late. As this case shows, even treatment is not enough to get a grip on it. I don't think it actually can be cured. Once you have it, you need to keep taking those pills.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    No parent should have to outlive their child.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Very sad. I have some personal experience of this sort of thing and depression is never an easy thing to live with. My thoughts are with the Koenig's :(
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    This is the worst possible outcome. Suicide is never the answer, even though many feel it to be the only one at the time. It's always terrible for a parent to mourn the loss of their child.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It's not just that it feels like the only option, it often feels like it's the best option.

I hope that wherever he is now, he is at peace
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;187060]Suicide is never the answer, even though many feel it to be the only one at the time.[/QUOTE]

I realize there's a good chance this will be misinterpreted as a lack of sympathy and callousness, but it's up to each person to decide whether suicide really is the answer. We have no idea what was in this person's mind. Ultimately, it's a gamble. If you do end your life, you lose any chance of finding something worth living for, and if you don't end it, there's the possibility of leading a long life of suffering and pain. It's noone's choice but one's own. There is no right or wrong.
    Curz: And of course, depending on one's beliefs there's always the chance of going somewhere better beyond this world. Not that I necessarily share that belief, but some do and they aren't wrong for it
  • Sad. Suicide is never an answer. Depression is usaly down too chemistry, bio chemical imbalances and stuff. my heart out to the family.
    [QUOTE=CurZ;187068] It's noone's choice but one's own. There is no right or wrong.[/QUOTE]

I agree, if you are terminally ill and in pain and there is no other way out to die with dignity, suicide is a way out.

The problem with depression is that there is nothing [I]per se[/I] wrong with the body. It's a chemical imbalance that takes the upper hand of your mind and flips the kill switch.

The Koenigs shouldn't blame themselves, even care and love can't fix everything. Depression can be found in many families and all suffer from the consequences, not just the depressed.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    The problem with stating suicide is simply ones own choice in a case like this is that it implies depression is simply a personality trait.

Whereas if we treat depression as a disease, then suicide is really the method of mortality in the same way that pneumonia may be the cause of death for someone suffering from AIDS.

Jake
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=CurZ;187068]I realize there's a good chance this will be misinterpreted as a lack of sympathy and callousness, but it's up to each person to decide whether suicide really is the answer. We have no idea what was in this person's mind. Ultimately, it's a gamble. If you do end your life, you lose any chance of finding something worth living for, and if you don't end it, there's the possibility of leading a long life of suffering and pain. It's noone's choice but one's own. There is no right or wrong.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree on that, though I feel I must justify/correct my phrasing and perhaps clear up some of my opinionated stance.

Perhaps 'never' is a bad choice of words, but it so rarely makes an improvement on the big picture. Opportunities exist everywhere; Happiness and satisfaction are simply ideals that some reach and some do not, but ending a life early cuts that path short and prevents it from being attained or shared with others. It's far less a gamble and far more a matter of personal perception and willpower. The end states are flexible concepts, not absolutes, and reaching them is a matter of making them attainable (whether naturally or through chemical aid).
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Oh my god. Prayers are with you, Walter...no parent should ever have to bear the burden of outliving their child.

-Rick
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;187076]Perhaps 'never' is a bad choice of words, but it so rarely makes an improvement on the big picture.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure there is an accurate record of how many people choose that option every year. I mean, real traffic accidents do happen, but when there is no cure, it's a valid option to end the misery. We do it to animals after all. Is a human being not worthy of this choice as is a suffering pet dog or cat?

People don't get asked to be born, but as adults they should at least have a say of how and when they die when the time comes. The problem with depression is, that they fall victim of their own vision of their world and see no other way out.
    [URL="http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100228/ten-marie-osmond-s-son-dies-in-la-5f8abb3.html"]Michael Osmond was only 18.[/URL]

Unbelievable. :(
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I Suffer from Depression, and for a long time saw no solution, but with treatment, and a good job. things are much better. I still have bad days, but so does everyone. Depression IS treatable but you have to be willing to live with the side effects of some of the treatments.
    I'd be depressed too if I had to wear that Mets shirt! :p

Seriously tho, I've really been struggling with my own recently. I've just had my antidepressants tripled and am being referred to a shrink. And I'm trying to finish final year of Uni.

Without wanting to appear overly sentimental (I'm not American afterall! :p), you guys here are always manage to bring a smile to my face no matter how down I'm feeling
    Depression is not just about feeling sad, I'm afraid, and the cure is not just a good laugh. It's unfortunately a lot more vicious than that.

I'm just glad spring is around the corner and there will be more sunshine coming up soon. :) It was a really tough winter this year.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;187159]Without wanting to appear overly sentimental (I'm not American afterall! :p), you guys here are always manage to bring a smile to my face no matter how down I'm feeling[/QUOTE]

You have no idea how much it costs us in razor blades to keep re-cutting that smile.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [I]Let's.. put a smile.. on that face![/I]
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    For me.. you guys always make me sad. And depressed.

But cuz I'm a masochist I keep coming back for more.
    So we make you sad, which makes you happy?