Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Book of Eli

StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
Finally got around to seeing [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1037705/"]this story[/URL] which is taking place in a post-apocalyptic US (if not world).

I was immediately reminded of [I]Fallout 3[/I] and you will too if you've played the game. It's almost like the story was taken out of the game.... or vice versa.

I like Denzel Washington's work, and while I don't always like the characters he plays, most of his films are usually worth watching. So is this one. [I]The Book of Eli[/I] is probably going to be known as the [I]Mad Max[/I] movie that doesn't take place in Australia. :D

Great cast and Mila Kunis is a babe... Worf should put her on his target list. :D

About the story itself, well, I guess its up to anyone's beliefs if all that trouble was worth saving the book... at least the twist with Gary Oldman's character towards the end made me LOL.

Comments

• I enjoyed it...

Spoiler: It's a huge spoiler, so I dont want to spoil even with spoiler tags: The so called "end" was a little bit, well... meh... There could be others that are "capable", you know...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I missed it (and The Road) when it was in cinemas, so I'm waiting for the dvd's to come out
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Yep, gonna have to check out [I]The Road[/I] as well.
  • The road was extremely boring.. It lacked Enclave and Liberty Prime.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Hmmm....I need to play Fallout 3 again now
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/"]The Road[/URL] is a different take on the post-apocalyptic scenario. A nameless father (played by Viggo "Aragorn" Mortensen) and his equally nameless young son are trying to survive in the wasteland.

It's funny how all the things we take for granted become really special once they are gone or extremely rare. I'm not sure I'd miss a can of Coke though. :D I mean, it's not that good or essential but I guess it must taste like heaven after you've been drinking dirty water for months.

I suppose the movie is trying to be less over-the-top and more realistic in its approach to dealing with the subject matter than [I]The Book of Eli[/I]. It's quite true that most people probably never stop to think about what to do in case the improbable or impossible happens, the complete and utter destruction of civilization. Even [I]I am Legend[/I] didn't really deal with this, I mean, if you live in a city you could probably survive on canned foods for quite a while, but out there in the rural areas you are pretty much SOL if you don't know what you are doing.

You won't fail to notice that in this movie the topic of cannibalism invariably keeps popping up as well. It's a recurring theme, there's even some of that in Fallout 3. It's particularly revolting here. I'm not sure this is quite as realistic as it is effective to gross you out.

Suicide is also a way out for some people in this particular situation and this topic is dealt with early on in [I]The Road[/I] and keeps coming back.

All in all, this movie does something the others have in a way failed to do, it doesn't glorify the end of the world as we know it. Nuclear winter and complete anarchy aren't as much fun as they used to be. There is a point at which movies and video games stop to be entertaining... and that's when hope dies.

If anything this movie is a running commercial for nuclear shelter construction companies. As they are shown here, it seems like a great investment to get one of those in your own backyard. If living like that would be worth living that is.

Another thing, why they put Charlize Theron as the mother in this movie is beyond me, she's completely wasted, any other actress would have done just as well. And Guy Pearce is completely unrecognizable (great job), unlike Robert Duval!

Overall it's a good movie as it makes you think about what you would do if you were in their shoes (no pun intended). Some may not like the ending, but I thought [I]The Road[/I] ended on quite a positive note.... for the son anyway. :D