Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Last Samurai

StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
Yes, I know, [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325710/"]this movie came out in 2003[/URL] and it's got Tom Cruise playing in it and I skipped it because I didn't want to see his face at the time. Say what you want about him, when he's in front of a camera he knows what he's doing (some of the time). I liked [I]Minority Report[/I] and some of his other movies are also quite watchable like the [I]War of the Worlds[/I] remake.

I didn't really understand this movie, but IMHO it was in many ways better than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon... or was that Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger, I ferget.... :D

I'll probably have to watch it a few more times to get the deeper meaning. I was reminded a few times of parts from the Shogun miniseries... I guess every time a gaijin tries to learn Japanese in one of those peasant villages, one is invariably reminded of Shogun. And no, there's no pillowing in this one in case you were wondering. :D

As could be expected with movies that involve long and sharp blades this one can't get away from chopping off a few heads either. The battle sequences are intense, gory and well executed. Great cast as well. Seen them before.

I'll never get the Japanese/Chinese obsession with cherry blossoms.... I mean where else in the world do you have that? Yeah, I'm looking for the perfect Tulip or Dandelion blossom. No, you don't and we do have cherry trees too! That's probably why I don't get Japanese poetry either. :indyface:

Comments

• A2597A2597 Fanboy
    It's actually one of my favorite movies, the plot was well done, a bit overly romantic, but the entire Edo period has been romanticized. But it was well done, and I enjoyed the pacing.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Its really well done, he deserved an oscar for it imo. If you want to see another of his good movies, see Collateral.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The Last Samurai and Collateral are both excellent movies. Been thinking about rewatching both :)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    did I mention I have a soft spot for the overly romanticized edo period?

I mean, how often can you romanticize a period by adding more swords? :D
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Twice?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Great movie. I particularly like Mt Egmont's impression of Mt Fuji.

[QUOTE=Stingray;188316]I'll never get the Japanese/Chinese obsession with cherry blossoms.... I mean where else in the world do you have that? Yeah, I'm looking for the perfect Tulip or Dandelion blossom. No, you don't and we do have cherry trees too! That's probably why I don't get Japanese poetry either. :indyface:[/QUOTE]

There is a very strong, deep cultural reason for the Japanese obsession with cherry blossoms.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;188324]There is a very strong, deep cultural reason for the Japanese obsession with cherry blossoms.[/QUOTE]

You are not helping.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_blossom[/url]
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Nooo in the West, particularly in Western Europe (hell in the United States too) you have Roses, and Roses are serious business..
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Thanks for the link, A2597, very interesting.

From what I've read the rose does not quite reach the cultural significance of the cherry blossom.

Those Japanese are some complicated people. :)