Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Kinect (formerly Project Natal)

WORFWORF The Burninator
So bits and pieces are leaking out from the Microsoft party tonight.

Felicia Day sold me with her tweet "Aaaah Lightsaber fighting with Kinect!! Officially excited!!!!!!!!!"

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Ha! Lousy name, but Im looking forward to when news start pouring out this week.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Heh nice! Though I think Natal was a better name
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Now the Star Wars clip has been posted online.

[URL="http://kotaku.com/5562639/get-a-look-at-kinects-star-wars-game"]Drool[/URL]

And I agree, don't like the new name.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;188845]Heh nice! Though I think Natal was a better name[/QUOTE]

So was "Nintendo Revolution," but alas, marketers just don't think like us.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=Biggles;188849]So was "Nintendo Revolution," but alas, marketers just don't think like us.[/QUOTE]
    That is possibly a good thing for the world ;)
    I didnt buy the Nintendo Piss, or what its called, either..
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    It's only mindless consumers who buy stuff based on the name.
    I still dont think naming a console after a bodily excrement was a good idea though..
    The more I look into it, the more I realise the technology behind the Kinect is impressive but as far as gaming goes, the Wii is far superior.

There's only so much you can do with no controller.

Worf
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=WORF;188847]Now the Star Wars clip has been posted online.

[URL="http://kotaku.com/5562639/get-a-look-at-kinects-star-wars-game"]Drool[/URL]

And I agree, don't like the new name.[/QUOTE]

Was that clip supposed to excite me in some way? I could barely tell what was going on and it showed nothing really.
    [QUOTE=WORF;188867]There's only so much you can do with no controller[/QUOTE]

You mean flailing your arms and legs in the air isn't enough for you?
    Whilst technologically its pretty cool, outside of a party setting/having friends round, I can't see that I'd be that bothered about having any of these systems. Ok Star Wars lightsaber combat would be cool, but I'm quite happy with my controller to do it
    A decent controllerless gaming system is basically a holodeck. Because without it you are limited in what you can do.

You can flail your arms and legs as much as you like but something like Mass Effect would never work because there's no good way to control your character's movement around a large environment.

I could see something like the old point and click adventure games working though. You would have the entire room on screen and your character would move around and interact with things as you do.

But we're not likely to get many games along those lines :(
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I am much more intrigued by the 3DS. I wouldn't believe it was real if it wasn't for the copious media accounts that it is the real deal. I am wondering how long it will take for the technology to scale to computer monitor size....
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    It's not that hard to believe...but will certainly work better on a smaller screen than a large one.
    [QUOTE=WORF;188871]You can flail your arms and legs as much as you like but something like Mass Effect would never work because there's no good way to control your character's movement around a large environment.[/QUOTE]

It would be hilarious to watch someone try and force jump however
    [QUOTE=croxis;188872]I am much more intrigued by the 3DS. I wouldn't believe it was real if it wasn't for the copious media accounts that it is the real deal. I am wondering how long it will take for the technology to scale to computer monitor size....[/QUOTE]

It already has. Several companies produce glasses-less 3D monitors. They're just not as popular as the glasses versions because of the extremely narrow viewing angle of, usually, about 30 degrees.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I especially liked that microsoft presented non-wii-knockoff games that supported natal kinect...
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I guess we'll have to wait and see the 3DS in stores because what I've seen of it so far isn't much. All I know for now is that it exists and that it is green. :D
    It clearly can't be very good then! ;)

EDIT: CANT dammit!! g-r-e-e-n sucks!!
    Aye. The reviews are good.