Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Need a good space battles movie suggestion

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
For some reason I've been wanting to see a movie with some good space battles. Looking something new I've not seen before, rather than the standard space sci-fi...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Jake

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    What I'm working on.

Unfortunately, it's not finished yet but I can recommend [URL="http://darkness.bathtub-productions.com/"]this[/URL] instead. Especially episode 3 and 4 if you're looking for space battles :)

Worf
    And of course [URL="http://www.clearskiesthemovie.com/"]Clear Skies 1 and 2[/URL].
  • Can't really beat Call to Arms. :P
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Serenity > all
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    REAVERS... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Somebody fire!
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    In the beginning beats serenity. But not by much.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I've seen all those...I want something new!
  • You are asking impossible...
    [QUOTE=Messiah;189395]In the beginning beats serenity. But not by much.[/QUOTE]
    I have to disagree with you there. Nothing in "In the Beginning" compares to "I'm a leaf in the wind!" :laugh:
  • I suppose we should start listing movies which actually have space battles?

Babylon 5 movies
    Star Wars movies
    Star Trek movies

umm.. Anything else?
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Galaxy Quest
    Wing Commander
    Lost in Space

I had that discussion with a coworker some time ago. There haven't been many Spacebattle movies in the last 10 years. besides star wars, star trek and Serenity, the best place for spacebattles was actually TV (with BSG and Stargate), with the small screen often outshining the silverscreen battles. I tend to prefer anything BSG to what's in RotS for example...
    Thats because in BSG the battles mean something. The only reason RotS had one at all was because they realised the only space skirmish they had all trilogy so far was the Naboo fighters against the Droid ship and a brief chase through an asteroid field.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I'd have to say the moment the Reavers appeared out of the nebula in 'Serenity' was one of the most intense moments of space-battle cinema I've seen in years. The sound, the music, the imagery was perfectly joined together to create a truely authentic, edge of the seat experience.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The Last Starfighter? It's been so long since I last saw it but as I recall there's some space battling going on.
  • I haven't seen Wing Commander in 11 years (I watched it in the apartment) but I seem to recall being very impressed with the space battles. Of course, I forget about that movie since it sucked. But I really thought the special effects were amazing for the time.
  • Oh, and we do have Farscape Peacekeeper wars as well... If you can call it a movie, it's rather a mini-series... Few fight scenes there.
    I always thought those space torpedoes looked somewhat off in the Wing Commander movie.

People keep saying that Battlefield Earth is the worst (scifi) movie of all time. I disagree. I think Wing Commander deserves that title. And I would go so far as to state that those who say Battlefield Earth is awful most likely haven't seen it at all. It's actually more memorable than Wing Commander because John Travolta is so wacky in it with his dreadlocks and platform shoe-boot-thingies.

The bashing has probably more to do with the author of the novel the movies based on was the head guru/founder of Scientology than anything being wrong with the story or the movie making. Some people can't see past that and thus can't judge the movie on its own merits.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    What merits?
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE=Vertigo1;189403]I have to disagree with you there. Nothing in "In the Beginning" compares to "I'm a leaf in the wind!" :laugh:[/QUOTE]

*Gasp* Heresy..?
    [QUOTE=Biggles;189417]What merits?[/QUOTE]

What merits? The acting, the story, the dialogue, the make-up effects, the cinematography, you know, everything that makes up a good movie. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-t3lWM1r7c"]Look at this clip for instance.[/URL] It's not worse than any political/bureaucratic intrigue we've seen on Babylon 5. The production values are there and certainly not worse than any Mad Max movie ever made and those are considered by some as cult movies.

Obviously the aliens were copied from the Klingons but who doesn't like Klingons? :D

While I like movie reviews and I use them to help me make up my mind, I know reviewers are not always as objective and neutral as they should be.

Uwe Boll wished his movies were this good. Seriously!
    I can see why the reviews panned that. The dialogue and what little of the plot that was in that clip was mostly fine (the "man-animal" thing sounds weird, why not "dog-animal" as well?), and John Travolta was a definite assett, but the rest was crap. Was the camera mount broken? Did someone spill coffee on the "music" track? Who was the sound mixer?
    You know just as I do that some of the quality was lost during the Youtube conversion.

Try again. :D
    YouTube made the camera go wonky? I had a look at some of the reviews, and as it turns out, they also criticised the sound and music. I doubt YouTube re-wrote the reviews. (I certainly agree that reviewers are not always as neutral as they should be.)

I would also argue that it's hard to judge an entire movie by less than 10 minutes of it, meaning that while the dialogue and plot in that scene could be fine, in the rest of the movie it could be crap.

I'm not sure if it could be the worst movie ever; there are plenty of other supposedly bad movies that I haven't seen (including the Mad Max movies). I wouldn't say it's something I feel like paying to see, though, just from that clip.
    The problem with Battlefield Earth is not so much it's a bad movie, but it COULD ahve been a great movie, (or better yet, miniseries) because like L. Ron Shithead or Hate him, Battlefield Earth is a great story, You do have to look passed all the thinly veiled religious overtones, but if you read it with an open mind, you may enjoy it, It's one of my favorite stories.

I just re-watched both Wing Commander and The Last Starfighter, and i think they are both good campy fun.
    Hey, as long as you are entertained that's all that matters, reviewers and their criticism aside. :)
    Thats all i care about these days, Not every movie has to be an academy award winner, as long as i'm entertained by it, i'm happy.
  • Well...they are making another Tron..how long until the Last Starfighter?
    [QUOTE=Keyan;189608]Well...they are making another Tron..how long until the Last Starfighter?[/QUOTE]
    Rumor has it that there WAS a sequel in the works, based around the son of Alex Rogan. Lance Guest was set to make a cameo appearance, but that's about it. (btw, did you know that the game used in the movie is [url=http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php]downloadable for free[/url]?

[url]http://blogs.tampabay.com/80s/2009/03/the-last-starfi.html[/url]
    I did know it was downloadable for free. but i've never been able to get it to run.