Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Wars in 3D?

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
[url]http://blastr.com/2010/09/star-wars-is-getting-redo.php[/url]

I'm generally not a big fan of 3D conversions, and i am LOATH to see Lucas fuck with Starwars any more than he already has, BUT.....

If this is done well, it could be amazingly fun, the death star trench run in 3D? if done right could be quite nifty.

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    A great quote in the [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11434545"]BBC news article[/URL] about this:

[QUOTE]"Watching TPM (The Phantom Menace) in 3D would be like the car actually crashing into your face as opposed to just unfolding before your eyes," British Star Trek actor and science fiction fan Simon Pegg said on micro-blogging site Twitter. [/QUOTE]

I would really like to know how they plan to convert their old 2d actor footage to 3d.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Oh yes, i'll pass on Eps 1 2 and 3, but the original 3 could be fun
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Original 3 in 3d...with 1977 2d stock actor footage overlaid on a 3d canvas. Yep, I can see the quality there.

Or perhaps they will just turn every actor into CGI like JarJar instead!

I think I'll pass on all 6.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I think its a terrible idea that going to turn out really badly
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I'm inclined to agree with Simon Pegg.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I think the first three episodes will be as much worth watching after 3D conversion as before (none), and the original three episodes will need huge adjustments and CGI re-touching to make the conversion, making them even worse than the current special editions. And you just know Lucas won't be able to leave them alone and will make changes beyond what is necessary for the 3D conversion.
    i'm willing to give it a shot just because it will mean seeing them on the big screen again.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Instead of looking at Avatar's profits, they should look at the technology behind it and think how they could use that to give us a proper sequel trilogy with the original characters and cast, who are now too old to appear as themselves.

And it should be based on the Thrawn trilogy.

With me directing.
    i still say that the thrawn trilogy could be done now, with the orig cast, just set it 15 or 20 years after instead of 5.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    And in this version Greedo shoots YOU first!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=WORF;189957]With me directing.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, could you ego survive that? More importantly, could we? :p

I do agree though, that is exactly the sort of use they should look at putting the technology to
  • There is software that can add the illusion of perspective to a 2D film. So while a simple 3D convert without any other changes is possible, we all know Lucas won't do this.

Also, SuperShadow saw this coming...guess he's right about the sequel trilogy too?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [i]Everyone[/i] saw this coming.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Yeah, Lucas first announced the attempt years ago (I think around the time the OT first came out on DVD), then it looked like it fell through, and now it looks like it's going to happen again.