Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Fallout: New Vegas

Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
This... is actually quite fun.

I took the hardcore mode, and so far not too bad.. Having to drink, eat and sleep occasionally just adds a little bit to the game, not that it makes it too much harder or anything.

And I dunno.. I just feel more "into" the world playing it than playing original F3. I'm more interested in the plot too.

And those Geckos, the ones running with two feet.. They're friggin adorable.

I still blow their heads off, dont get me wrong.. It's just I think "awweee... what a cutie" while doing so.

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    i played through the story and beat the game, did probably 50-60% of the side quests along the way. Good fun, but honestly I thought the primary quest was a bit weak.
  • This is on the top of my Christmas list.

I spent 53 hours on FO3--on the first playthrough. 40 hours on the second. So I've got a feeling I'll be getting plenty of enjoyment from New Vegas!

Spirit, did you play FO3? If so, how does the 'strength' of the main story compare with FO3's?
  • I've finished both... And I was a bit disappointed about the story actually. Not that it would be bad, but it lacks the elements which FO3 had. It doesn't have any memorable epic moments at all, such as seeing Liberty Prime bringing justice. And this is a real shame.

Okay, the environment is new, there are side quests, hardcore mode brings 1% more challenge to gameplay, new reputation system, different factions... But in the end its just shooting places, and getting over with it. Cooperating with other factions is indeed a welcome change, as you can really see how your selections in the past had influence in the end. This also has downsize, from the ready made story your selections might lead into unwanted side effects. As will happen if you follow Mr. House long enough. When you get there, you will understand what I mean.. And this 'order' which I was given made me take another path to follow, where the game awarded me with negative karma. From my perspective, it surely wasn't.

Also, a word of advice for console players.. Like in Fallout 3, the game really ENDS after you have finished the main story line. So do the side quests and advance your character, rather than aim straight for the final mission. Though, of course you can always finish the game and load some save game near the end, and continue...

In my opinion, Fallout 3 was better overall. Vegas is just an add-on, with the price of full sized game.
    With the exception of Tactics, Ive played every Fallout game :D

Like Sinclair said, the overall story in New Vegas was weaker than 3. It just didn't have that holy crap moment. Although, in my second time around, nuking the NCR with a space based weapon at Helios 1 was pretty cool, but it did seem to piss them off a bit.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    As soon as I get an Internet connection in my room so I can activate the game I'll be playing it religiously I'm sure :)
  • That's for sure, I just did some cleaning in Camp Guardian... Now I need to go back to New Vegas, otherwise I have too much stuff to carry around.

By the way SpiritOne, as you have played the other games in the series as well, which one would you prefer the most overall? Fallout 3 or New Vegas? One friend of mine just claims how great the NV is for the players of "old" fallouts, which I dont know nothing about.
    Well, the biggest thing New Vegas has going for it is the location. Being back on the west coast reintroduces all of the old elements from the original Fallout games, NCR, the Hub, Followers of the Apocalypse, Marcus, etc... While I enjoyed Fallout 3, it was lacking in some history. They brought remnants of the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel into it, but did little to fill in the background.

The original Fallout I think was still the best. Great story, and a great game. Unfortunately there will never be another game like it. That style of gameplay and combat just doesn't interest people anymore. The combination of VATS + the real time combat is a huge compromise, and I admit, I rarely use VATS, its just easier to fps it half the time. But its really too bad.

Sinclair, its worth it to get Barter up past 70 for the Long Haul perk.

I wont spoil the ending of the game for anyone, but I recommend you do whatever you can to get speech to at LEAST 90. Even if that means you do it with a magazine, mentats and a BoS helmet. If you don't, that last fight will just piss you off.