Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Capacitive touchscreen kits!

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
Short version: Anyone know where I can find a capacitive touchscreen kit for a 15.4" LCD?

My laptop has a broken hinge so I have a spare 15.4" LCD screen to re-purpose. I want a pad computer, and not wanting an ipad nor liking any models on the market I thought of building my own with a pandaboard. I've been hunting for touchscreen kits but the only ones I can find are resistive.

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I don't recall these being options, given that you'd have to evenly mate a capacitative pickup unit of exactly the right dimensions behind the diffuser of an LCD backlight and then accurately calibrate it to account for the geometry (including thickness and electrical variations within) of the panel itself.

As far as I recall, the only options (for this reason) are two- and four-wire resistive overlays that can be easily printed and cut to any size needed and simply placed on top of an existing display. Upside: It exists, it's cheap. Downside: It sucks to look at.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    NOOOO! And IIRC wire resistive is not multitouch.

Looks like I should wait for [URL="https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/touchbook.htm"]this[/URL] and hope they don't foobarit
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I invoke the Murphy's Law...

Juuuuuuuuust because I can.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Another option is to wait for one of the current generation multi-touch convertible tablets or slates to become affordable in the second-hand market. That'd work out and be reliable, fast, and swanky.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Buy one of the really-cheap-but-crap ones that has a capacitive screen and rip the screen out of it.