Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Japan earthquake and tsunami

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Biggles, you ok?

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Apart from my apartment being a complete mess, I'm OK. It's the coast north of here that got hit hard.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Glad you're ok. The pictures I've seen look horrific! I dread to think what the death toll and the damage is going to be :(
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Man this is terrible. :(

I can't think of another word for it...just...terrible.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Unbelievable... :(

Glad you're ok Biggles!

That Helicopter video of the surge over that farm and farm land was just incredible...
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Glad to hear you are doing ok!!!
  • [URL="http://totallycoolpix.com/2011/03/japan-hit-by-massive-earthquake-and-tsunami/"]Pictures from the aftermath[/URL]. Hit F5 if it doesn't load at the first try...

Boston's The Big Picture has just updated some too, [URL="http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html"]click here to open.[/URL]
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    A second earthquake has hit mainland Japan, 6.6 according to CNN...

Good grief. :(
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Nintendo seems to be ok: [url]http://games.ign.com/articles/115/1155124p1.html[/url]

Also happy youre ok Biggles. First New Zealand, and now Japan. Hope your friends are ok too.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Good to hear your ok Biggles.

Couldn't believe the footage of the tsunami. Very disturbing watching people be swept away. Must have been terrible for the film crews in the helicopters, so close but unable to help.

Just hope the situation with the nuclear reactor gets under control.
    The 6.6 is just one of many, and not the biggest. 30 minutes after the quake, there was a 7.2 about 50km from where I am. We've had at least two dozen over 6. Basically, it's been shaking constantly for nearly 20 hours now.

Walking around town there are signs of damage all over the place, but nothing major. Broken windows, fallen roof tiles, the occasionally collapsed wall. The main problem is that the entire town is without water.

I was in Mito earlier in the day, though, and am very glad that I was able to come home half a day early.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    High resolution satellite imagery:

[url]http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2011/03/post-earthquake-images-of-japan.html[/url]
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Wow- glad to hear you are ok Biggles!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    The pictures and videos coming out are just getting worse and worse!

Incidentally, something I was looking at doing at work was forensic radiography (taking images of corpses to compare to dental/medical records etc). I can't help but think there's going to be a lot of demand for that right now. It'd be grim work, but I'd like to do it to help families find answers and get closure. Part of me is glad I don't have to deal with something on this scale tho :(
    [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html"]Interesting[/URL] in a horrific way. Before and after pictures
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    mind blowing Biggles. zerohedge and Bob Chapman are saying to get your iodine salt ready if the reactors are having meltdowns. The cloud will come to north america. Have you heard anything? I am honesly getting better news fo Al jazzera and RT then American news outlets.
    I have no idea who zerohedge and Bob Chapman are, but it sounds like they're talking crap. The "cloud" (if there even is one - a meltdown is not an explosion) would probably not make it to North America at anything measurably above background radiation levels.

Basically, it sounds like the reactors have partially melted down, but the containment is doing its job.
    If any serious leak of steam/gas occurs it will be carried eastward out to sea. If any substantial amount were to hit the Jet Stream we might have a worry.

With that said, Chernobyl back in 1986 released into the atmosphere and was carried around the globe in the Northern Hemisphere, and there are "arguably" no noticeable effects accept in the vicinity of the reactor.

This time however we have 6 reactors in emergency mode 2 of which are in near meltdown. Might be worse this time if they can't contain it.
    I just read that the USS Ronald Reagan passed through a radioactive cloud earlier today (Sunday) and received exposure to about 1 month's worth of radiation over the course of 1 hour. Also, US helicopters operating offshore have read positive for radiation, which is now being analyzed for particle type.

Sources: BBC and NYTimes
    That will be from the steam they're venting to relieve pressure inside the reactor. There was some amount of cesium in it, apparently, which means the fuel rod casing has partially melted.

This appears to be a fairly well-written explanation of what's actually going on, from someone who knows what they're talking about. Unlike all the overseas media I've read, it actually matches what the Tepco engineers have been saying in the many, many press conferences they've given that have been broadcast live on every single Japanese channel (except TV Tokyo, 'cause they're weird).

[url]https://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/[/url]
    [URL="http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/fukushima-simple-explanation/"]http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/fukushima-simple-explanation/[/URL]
  • Superb JackN - Thanks!

Best wishes to everyone in Japan who has been affected.
    That's the same article I posted. :D
    Sorry... :p
    JackN's article is better because he is an ITF developer :p
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    so um...whats with the latest report of 500x yearly allowances, and concerns about Tokyo?

Did containment fail, or media hype (again). So hard to find ANY reliable information right now.
    You should have joined us in IRC tonight A2597 - we were making fun of the media headlines while actually finding good sources of information (aka Biggles listening to local news broadcasts and sending us synopses).
    [QUOTE=A2597;191978]so um...whats with the latest report of 500x yearly allowances, and concerns about Tokyo?

Did containment fail, or media hype (again). So hard to find ANY reliable information right now.[/QUOTE]

There was radiation detected in Kita Ibaraki this morning, which has since dissipated. The level was about 10% of a chest X-ray. Kita Ibaraki is about 25km south of power plants. There was radiation detected in central Tokyo of a level 21 times the normal background level. They detected 0.809 micro-sievert at 10am this morning. There certainly aren't any places with 500x the yearly allowance, let alone the yearly expected dose. The highest has been well under 200x the yearly expected dose - and that was in the vicinity of the reactors. The only people that close are workers running the cooling systems. The increase in Tokyo is most likely from the fire in reactor #4's building, where spent fuel rods are being stored outside of the containment vessel (it's undergoing maintenance, and no, they aren't just lying on the floor). The wind this morning changed to blow from the north-west, which would move it towards Tokyo. The level detected in Tokyo is not high enough to have any effect on people. You get 6 micro-sievert per hour during air travel.

The English media coverage has been abysmal. I wouldn't trust any of it. The Japanese media has generally been much better. All those pictures you see in the western media of people being checked for radiation are people who have left the 20km zone and arrived at an evacuation point, and it's just a precaution (they haven't actually found anyone contaminated yet who wasn't working at the plant).
    Here's the news from the most recent press conference:

[list][*]At 8:30AM, they measured 8217μSv in the area of the main gate of the plant.
    [*]At 9AM, it had risen to 11930μSv.
    [*]At 12:30PM, it had fallen to 1362μSv.
    [*]At 3:30PM, it had fallen to 596.4μSv.
    [*]The release of radiation was a burst, not continuous, as was feared. The release is assumed to be from #4, where there was a fire in the containment building ([i]not[/i] in the core containment itself). This fire damaged part of the roof of the building. Remember that #4 is one of the reactors that was shut down for maintenance before the quake.
    [*]The fire was put out by external methods, so they still need to investigate the situation inside the building.
    [*]#1 and #3 are stable and being continuously cooled.
    [*]#2 is being cooled but it is too soon to say if it is stable yet or not.
    [*]#5 and #6 (both shut for maintenance at the time of the quake) have seen a slight increase in temperature, and so are being monitored.[/list]

There may be translation errors.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    There has been a lot of repeated footage here in the UK which can be quite misleading. So far I've avoided Sky News and their coverage which is always good. The thing is normal news channels are behind the coverage now with ordinary people on the ground being able to get footage online and distributed very quickly.

See radiation levels have dropped which is a good sign.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    According to this Nagasaki survivor, [URL="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_japan_family"]the Fukushima crisis is much ado about nothing.[/URL]

I suppose if you have to deal with the consequences of radiation for the rest of your life, as opposed to being dead, it is not much to worry about.

Apparently things are looking up at the site of the stricken reactors. They are getting power and thus the means to restart the pumps to cool down the nuclear rods.

My thoughts go to all those who have to suffer through this tragedy.