Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Vintage parts...

JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
Back in late 1999 I bought a GeForce 256 video card for roughly $370 for my Dell PII-450...

When the fan failed, the video output of the card died, not completely, but enough to cause the inability to sync and such. I could see that the image was not corrupted, but because of lack of sync and low signal output that the monitor couldn't track.

I just found an equivalent card, from Dell, used and a pull, for $12.00, and so I got it, because this ATI that I have been using is just pissing me off.

Anything I could buy now that is new, would be overkill at best for that old machine. :p

Comments

• I bought a computer back in 2003 and these parts are still installed:
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! Player 5.1
    Lite-On LTR-32123S CD-RW-drive
    Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical (Left click -component replaced by hand in 2009 due malfunction)
    Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
    I changed the Hercules 3D Prophet FDX 8500 LE 128MB GFX card last year to some Radeon 3650 Silent model. But this was just because the 80mm fan I had installed after the original ~35mm GPU fan had failed was required elsewhere.

Anyways, everything had been working fine till yesterday when I decided to try Windows 7. :)

My Intel Pentium 4 @ 2,60GHz (found from garbage bin in around 2007), and 2,5GB of RAM has enough power to run it, but the drivers! Oh the drivers...
    Creative doesn't offer Live! series drivers for Windows 7... Luckily I found the kx project, unofficial drivers and I got sound!
    Logitech doesn't offer Windows 7 drivers for my mouse and keyboard, which why I cannot use the thumb button for mouse and keyboard special buttons currently. I'm looking for solution for this. Update: Found some old version of legacy "Mouseware" drivers designed for Windows 98, installed like a charm. Gotta thank MS for doing something right.

I also had problems when trying to install the graphics card drivers, after hours of troubleshooting I got a almost successful install by changing one row in a install configuration file... Almost because afterwards it started to throw DLL-errors on my face, which I got rid of by deleting the DLL files causing the errors! Perhaps not the most subtle solution, but it actually seems to work.
    The problem for these DLL-errors might be the Intel motherboard, which is from year 2004. I did try to install the chipset drivers, but I doubt the setup did anything as it completed so quickly...

My point being, don't do this unless if you are a masochist.