Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

JMS At Comic Con, New B5 Greenlit, then fell through - but maybe not?

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Back to something more interesting than a public witch hunt!

That was an absolutely facilitating interview with jms. While I've heard all sorts of rumors about him, in this example he sounds like a humble gentlemen. I also liked hearing some of his general philosophies on life-universe-everything in the lat hour of the show.
  • Here's the first part of an appearance in 2009 at MIT.

[url]http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/3609-j-michael-straczynski-the-julius-schwartz-lecture-part-1-of-3[/url]

First he gave a short speach, then the moderator interviewed him then they opened it up to the audience. IMO, the first and third segments are the best.

Jan
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE=Triple-F;193299]Cynic. ; )[/QUOTE]

Cynic is my middle name. My first name is Naive Optimist and my last is Hopeless Romantic though, so it kinda balances out. I feel like Ive given JMS a bit too many chances though, and it might be that JMS's first name is also Naive Optimist, but it sounds a lot like Self Promotion after all this..
  • Triple-FTriple-F Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE=Messiah;193337]Cynic is my middle name. My first name is Naive Optimist and my last is Hopeless Romantic though, so it kinda balances out. I feel like Ive given JMS a bit too many chances though, and it might be that JMS's first name is also Naive Optimist, but it sounds a lot like Self Promotion after all this..[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I know the feeling. Regretably.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    To those who haven't read the script books, I just have to say after all this that JMS does actually not try with them to claim that he was behind everything with the show. He goes into quite a bit of detail of all the processes of the show and how everyone was important. The truth is that I do think that JMS is good writer, and like Croxis said, when you hear him talk, he does seem like a nice guy, but of course, the fact is that like Biggles said, it really seems like every year he comes out and says "I've got something AMAZING coming along! It'll blow your mind! You've never seen anything like this before, it will totally revoluntionalize TV/DVD/whatever and change the world forever!" It just gets old after a while and the unfortunate truth is that it really has pretty much become a joke. Hell, how many years have we been joking about his announcements like that?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I don't think getting excited about a new project makes him a bad guy.

But he needs to learn to wait and tell people once it's certain.
    Not a witch hunt. ; )

Can someone answer a question for me. Here’s a quote from a discussion thread.
    [url]http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2453&page=2[/url]

[quote]
    At the beginning of each book is a small chapter about one aspect of the show; for example, one is about special effects (interesting trivia - the special effect director would scan materials to use as "texture" for items, and the texture for shadow vessels was his dog's nose!).[/quote]

Does anyone know what script book the above is referring to. And within the anecdote about the dog’s nose texture, as it appears at the start of the script book, (which isn’t true but that’s neither here nor there) is Thornton named or is he referred to as “the special effect director” or some such, as the poster of the above appears to indicate.

I genuinely don’t know.

As the above entertaining exchange shows, I’ve got opinions, and they’re largely based on what I’ve read or heard. The above quote is only one (very minor) example that helped reinforce some of those opinions. A bit like the recent pod cast interview with jms where not a lot of names came up when discussing stuff like the prosthetics, etc.

My opinions aren’t set in stone, basically, I’ve no problem revisiting them. ; )
  • [QUOTE=Triple-F;193348]Can someone answer a question for me. Here’s a quote from a discussion thread.
    [url]http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2453&page=2[/url]

Does anyone know what script book the above is referring to. And within the anecdote about the dog’s nose texture, as it appears at the start of the script book, (which isn’t true but that’s neither here nor there) is Thornton named or is he referred to as “the special effect director” or some such, as the poster of the above appears to indicate.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the entire post, this part stands out:

[QUOTE]There are books out there that are episode guides, and have snippets from interviews with actors, directors, etc., for each episode. [/QUOTE]

That's not referring to the script books, I don't think. It sounds more like the Jane Killick episode guide books.

Jan
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;193349]Looking at the entire post, this part stands out:

That's not referring to the script books, I don't think. It sounds more like the Jane Killick episode guide books.

[/QUOTE]

That’s part of the problem with reading stuff on the net in general. ; ) But it does seem to be coming from the script books based on this second quote (that also doesn’t name anyone), and which is (another very small) part of those building blocks that left me with a certain impression of things. Remembering that when I read all this stuff I was a newbie, a clean slate looking for information. Not someone on a witch hunt, that came later. ; ) (That was a joke btw)

[url]http://thoughtsonstuff.blogspot.com/2007/01/babylon-5-divided-loyalties-and-long.html[/url]
    [quote]Going to get the script books? Full of factoids in JMS essays, some I haven't seen on the web, like: The shadow ship's skin? A dog's nose, digitally scanned.[/quote]

Still curious about how the anecdote appears in the script (or some other) book. If Ron is named it helps remove one of those building blocks.
  • [QUOTE=Triple-F;193350]That’s part of the problem with reading stuff on the net in general. ; ) But it does seem to be coming from the script books based on this second quote (that also doesn’t name anyone), and which is (another very small) part of those building blocks that left me with a certain impression of things. Remembering that when I read all this stuff I was a newbie, a clean slate looking for information. [/quote]

Since the script books aren't an episode guide and don't include " snippets from interviews with actors, directors, etc., for each episode", there's simply no way that the poster was referring to the script books. The only source that I know of that fits that description are the Killick books.

There's no telling what the origin of the story is, it's been around [I]far[/I] longer than the script books, that's for sure. This is what appears in script book #2 in the discussion of "Signs and Portents":

[QUOTE=Volume 2]Since this ship was the same organic technology first hinted at in “Infection,” I wanted a sense of that organic tech in its design, so that it would look somehow alive in the way it moved, and the manner in which the surface of the ship was textured. Many CGI tests were conducted, sampling a variety of organic and non-organic textures, but none of them worked...until we arrived at the almost moist looking, dappled black surface that ultimately became the skin of our shadow vessels.

What texture was finally selected for this purpose, I hear you ask?

It’s the tip of a dog’s nose.

They took a scanner, put it up against a dog’s nose, got a sample of the
    texture, and applied it to the ship.
    The reaction of the dog to this turn of events was not recorded for
    posterity.

I didn’t release this information for quite a while because the idea of our
    heroes being menaced by flying dogs’ noses seemed...somewhat less than
    ominous.[/QUOTE]

Note that this was in a discussion of the episode so (IMO), going out of the way to name anybody wouldn't have enhanced the narrative. On the other hand, during a discussion of the Starfury and Thunderbolt, JMS wrote this:

[QUOTE= Volume 7]As noted in volume one, when we (Footnote: Me, Steve Berg, Ron Thornton and John Copeland.) sat down to design the original
    Starfury, the intent was to come up with something specifically suited to a
    zero-gravity/zero atmosphere environment.[/QUOTE]

I took a quick look at the Killick book with the S&P episode in it and didn't see the anecdote but it may well have been elsewhere. Like I said, that's a story that's been around pretty much as long as the series has. Chances are, somebody shorthanded the elements that went into the shadow vessel or that's simply what JMS retained of what he was told.

Jan
    Ah, thanks, I don’t know the make up of each of the books.

Here’s an extract from a post over on the newsgroups way back in the day, that may be the source of the thing. It’s the earliest mention I could find – though it’s not a direct quote from jms, rather a retelling of something he said at a con [URL="http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5/browse_thread/thread/8bf82d08eee58933/1b5964a3e54036f9?"] way back in ’95[/URL], a few years before the script book came out.
    [quote]Where did the the shadows' appearance come from? "I said I want
    sort of a spider, arachnid, crab, weird sh*t thing." Apparently from there
    Ron came up with two different designs. JMS showed him the one that was
    most like what he wanted. Ron said, "My condolences," and that became
    the shadows.
    He then shared the story about the Shadow Ships. He asked Ron
    (the effects guy) where the bizzare effect for the texture of those ships
    came from. Ron called his dog over and explained that he computer-sampled
    the dog's nose. JMS said, "Let me get this straight - our guys are being
    menaced by large dog noses?" He said that he's never looked at the show
    the same way since.[/quote]

May even be where someone got the idea of calling the ships Battle Crabs. Sorry, but that story about the origin of the Shadows is soooooo very wrong, and the tone did leave an impression as well (jms’s idea was to originally make them more anthropomorphic - shadow men - until he was shown the design that was developed without his knowledge – Ron Thornton, Steve Burg, John Copeland & I think mojo later confirmed this when talking to them ).

A few weeks later, as luck would have it, Ron was asked about the ship texture itself, and it appeared on [URL="http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5/browse_thread/thread/3e4c9fd17d62dd3a/b965d2c927bc0500?"] the same newsgroup [/URL]
    as a transcript of an interview. (Christ I did a lot of searching back then ; )

[quote]
    Question: Is the texture of the shadows' ships really a dog's nose? Someone reported that from a recent convention...

RTatB5: We do call it Dog Nose Texture. But it's not an image it is a procedural texutre and moves. [/quote]

As for the texture itself. It was apparently developed before the shadow vessels appeared and was actually first used on a different ship – but using different colours.
    [url]http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm#Screen1_01_10[/url]

In case your wondering. It’s complicated, but the reason for mentioning silly little things like this is that over time, with little or no online information from others on the show popping up - or being overlooked - it was difficult not to notice that the “FX guys” were being viewed as kinda inept by some folks. Some of the same things then popping up on offcial books probably didn’t help. Take a look at the examples in screens 4 & 5 of the rant, or [URL="http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?13168-Need-help-with-Orthocone-sculpture"] this reply [/URL]to someone who repeated the story about the Shadow texture being a scan of a dogs nose.

[quote]I don't know about that, but I'm almost positive that the moving textures on the Vorlons were either initially a bug, or were at least inspired by a bug... it's exactly what happens when your 3-d/solid texture isn't transformed along with the object it matches... a very common problem for student projects in a computer graphics class![/quote]

Ironically, that was another procedural texture. jms isn’t responsible for what fans think, of course, or what they do with what he says. But some of what he’s said over the years can be seen to paint a less than accurate picture. Again, genuinely, sorry but it’s how it appeared to this particular newbie. ; )

Entertaining as it is. If I’m sounding like a right nutter here, will someone please tell me. ; ) I won’t take offence, honest. But I will shut the fuck up. ; )
  • [QUOTE=Triple-F;193352]Entertaining as it is. If I’m sounding like a right nutter here, will someone please tell me. ; ) I won’t take offence, honest. But I will shut the fuck up. ; )[/QUOTE]

Well, all I can say is that I've researched it as much as I plan to. It's far too small an item to worry about IMO.

Jan
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Hey! Thanks for quoting those parts from the script books Jan! Saved me the trouble! :p
    That's cool about the Shadow texture on the Drazi ship. I never noticed that for some reason.
    Battle Crabs.... I never liked that name. It just doesn't sound that impressive, and really, they look more like spiders than crabs. I always just call them Shadow cruisers or something like that.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Crabs make me think of something else
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;193351]Since the script books aren't an episode guide and don't include " snippets from interviews with actors, directors, etc., for each episode", there's simply no way that the poster was referring to the script books. The only source that I know of that fits that description are the Killick books.[/QUOTE]

It is mentioned in the Killick books. The "special effects" essay is in the book for season 3. From page 6:

[quote]Another major ship design, perhaps the most significant in the whole [i]Babylon 5[/i] universe, was for the Shadow ships. These vessels also needed to look somewhat organic and derived their surface texture from a scan of the nose of Ron's dog, Digby.[/quote]

These a direct quote after that from Ron talking about the physical shape of the Shadow ships and the idea of them being black coming from seeing a Discovery channel special on black widow spiders. Since this wasn't exactly an academic essay, whoever related the apocryphal story of the dog nose (or whether it was originally told in a technically correct form, and the author misinterpreted it) is impossible to source.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;193353]Well, all I can say is that I've researched it as much as I plan to. It's far too small an item to worry about IMO.[/QUOTE]

Have you see his site? Tiny details like that are all he [i]does[/i] worry about. ;)
    [QUOTE=JanMSchroeder;193353]Well, all I can say is that I've researched it as much as I plan to. It's far too small an item to worry about IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Christ, of course it is. But many a mickle makes a muckle.
  • Hearkening back to some of the sentiments expressed earlier in the thread, these posts from JMS a few days ago seem appropriate:

[QUOTE]Timothy: I don't "fuel B5 returns speculation." When something is going on, I tell the fans something's going on; when nothing's going on, I tell the fans that nothing's going on. This is just a matter of being honest with the fans, whether the information is good, bad or indifferent. I have nothing to gain by fueling anything. I just tell folks what's going on, period. If you'd rather I simply said nothing about it anymore, I'm utterly amenable.[/QUOTE]

...but then...(thankfully, IMO)

[QUOTE]Timothy...on second thought, i think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing: sharing the ups and downs, the starts and fits, the home runs and the stall-outs, because that's what I've been doing from day one. It's often frustrating on all sides, but then at least the fans and I get to share that frustration. I understand if that's too much for you. Feel free to dial out. The rest of us will just continue on.[/QUOTE]
  • ...And then there's this:
    [url]http://trekmovie.com/2011/08/17/koenig-straczynski-negotiating-to-bring-back-babylon-5-walter-compares-bestor-to-chekov/[/url]

I'm still hopeful of more (quality) B5.
  • I'm pretty sure that what Walter said is referring to the failed project. Whatever other talks JMS might be in, he said at Comic-Con that they're informal and might not have anything come of them for a year or so.

Jan
  • But if he had the rights to Babylon 5...

What would come of that I wonder? :D
  • JMS has now said to one website and posted to his FB page that Walter mis-spoke.

Jan
    The full text of what jms said.

[quote]Walter misspoke: I am not in negotiations with WB to develop more Babylon 5.[/quote]

Doesn’t say anything about not negotiating to re-acquire the rights to Babylon 5, which was the starting point of Walter’s comments. But that’s just me [I]worrying [/I]about tiny details, as I do. ; )

[Quote]He [Straczynski] told me that he is in negations to re-acquire the rights to Babylon 5 and it looks pretty good. Now what that portends I am not entirely sure. It could be a new series or it could be a feature film . . . . . . . . . .[/quote]
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    It's going to be a full 5 years of the story of Bester, the young years....
  • For the sake of completeness. Here is another scene where the shadowtexture isn't used for a shadowship. ;)
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/pdvd097p.jpg/][IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7448/pdvd097p.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    The Hangar of the great machine.

*loves Tiny details* :D
  • Anything B5 that comes out I will be happy to support. If nothing comes out – I will be happy to watch my old DVD’s. It’s a fantastic fictional universe that has lots of life left IMHO.

I also like to hear all the ups and downs – stops and starts.

How many years ago (today?**) did the space flight sim get canned? The biggest thing I’ve been hoping for all these years is that some of the in game footage or story would leak. At this point it would be tragic if it was lost forever to a dumped PC, hard drive wipe, or unknown archive. That’s the only thing I’m still holding my breath over.

**I think it’s today – because I always come back here on the anniversary of my birth – and I think I remember being crushed on that day. Saab got good news today – maybe next year I can see some of the B5 footage. :)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    It was cancelled twelve years ago :(
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Konrad;193721]The biggest thing I’ve been hoping for all these years is that some of the in game footage or story would leak. At this point it would be tragic if it was lost forever to a dumped PC, hard drive wipe, or unknown archive. That’s the only thing I’m still holding my breath over.[/QUOTE]

Click the link, Luke.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    It's a shame that was never finished. There were a couple of script pages on-line at one point or another, as well, mostly from the very beginning and the very end. There's gotta be a lot between the first stuff with the Black Dog and the super-giant space battle at the end.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Biggles;193727]Click the link, Luke.[/QUOTE]

Holly crap, I forgot about that site...glad to see it is still around (and just under my nose...)

Jake