Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Trek TV Series News

StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
As we've all suspected something has been cooking behind the scenes for some time now.

[URL="http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/television/star-trek-tv-series-planned-takes-place-voyager.html"]Link[/URL]

To be honest, I can't wait to see what's next. :)

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I don't believe CBS will greenlight any future Trek production in the old universe. JJ's new verse is where its at. Part of the problem with Star Trek is it was getting old. They needed a fresh reboot to shake the rust off. Going back to that post Voyager timeline just sounds like a bad idea.

Id rather see a DS9 style show set in JJ's universe.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Well, as far as I understand it, JJ's universe is TOS with a fresh cast reprising the known and popular characters. The CBS thing has nothing in common with TOS or JJ's universe. It's all fresh and continues the saga after Voyager with a fresh cast and set of characters. Unless I misunderstood.

I'd rather not see a rehash of anything.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Sounds interesting! I'll give it a shot, if it airs.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    CBS now owns the Star Trek Franchise, JJ's movie and all. They bought Paramount. They may separate the tv and film divisions, but its all CBS.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    At least it's not FOX. :D
  • This could be good. Here's hoping.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I like the idea of going to a pre JJ timeline, I liked the new movie, and am totally fine with more movies set in that alternate timeline, But for a TV series i'd rather see them go back to established canon and move forward from there.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I liked the JJ movie when I first saw it but the more I watch it, the less I enjoy it.

And judging from the problems the sequel is having (it's due out next summer and they don't have a script yet), I'm not sure the production team really understand Star Trek and know what to do with it.

As for this rumored series, I'm quite happy to go back to the timeline established by Star Trek prior to JJ Abrams' movie. From what hints they've given, it seems they are making the Federation seem like the bad guy. Kinda makes sense after the Dominion War, we never got to see much of what happened following that very dark time.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    And the series shall be called "Star Trek Enterprise The Next Deep Space Voyager" or ST:ETNDSV
    No no no.

As I said on IRC after Enterprise was cancelled.

[QUOTE]"The next Star Trek series: The Borg invade the Federation and assimilate it, only a handful of ships manage to escape and that show will be called: Battlestar Enterprise."[/QUOTE]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I like the concept, so I'll be interested to see what comes of it. It would be nice to see Star Trek on tv again, but only if done well!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    A story arc. About time Star Trek did something like that rather than just following their nose.

Sounds promising. I can hope!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Yes, a story arc would do nicely. TV has gotten sophisticated enough now you almost need it. You just can't do the one-off shows that TNG did so well and expect people to watch. At the same time, you can't use the Voyager formula: They're lost...what happens next?

Also, I'd suggest 14 to 16 episode seasons instead of 22+ I know it makes the season shorter, but the lessons the filler required and allows the show to move faster and stay focused. A good example was "V" which suffered under the weight having to write a full season. The shows tended to drag on.

Jake
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I think the perplexing situation you run into these days is that while arcs are nearly required for Scifi and fantasy genre shows, they need to hit home with the audience and advertisers within the first five episodes to secure a future. If the show fails to grab and grow an audience in that time, it is doomed.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    For a Trek show getting the intial audience attention is the easy part, the hard part is maintaining focus and a cohesive story.

Jake
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    At least SyFy won't get a look in which is a start. So fingers crossed.

Star Trek: The enterprising voyages of the next 9 generations into deep space (STTEVOTNNGIDS)
  • I do hope they avoid the JJ universe, because frankly, it lacked the vision that Roddenberry created. It doesn't hold up over time like Trek can and has.

A future where humanity has overcome most of it's flaws, while holding onto it's strengths and passions. That was what Trek was always about...JJTrek? Bleh. It was a scifi movie that honestly failed to hold it's own in my opinion.
    There's no vision in JJ's Star Trek because everyone has been blinded by lense flares.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    JJ's Trek is a great science fiction[b]y[/b] action movie.

It's not Star Trek.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Maybe he'll show some improvement in the next one.
    I wouldn't count on it. They still don't have a script.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    He'll probably get bored and leave half-way through filming.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I guess I'm the only one here, that actually enjoyed the JJ Star Trek movie?
  • Nah, I liked it Vertigo. I also look forward to seeing more.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I look forward to seeing more, but that still doesn't mean I consider it to be Trek proper
  • I just re-watched it last night, since well...honestly the last time I saw it was in theaters.

I think I am in agreement with Biggles. it IS a good scifi action type movie. But it just lacks the trek heart and soul. :)
    It tries to be Star Trek by throwing in names and references but doesn't know what Star Trek actually is.