Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Tribute to my gran

HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
I never posted this at the time, and suddenly I feel like posting about it. Just over a year ago my grandmother passed away due to various health problems. She was in her 80's, and so was getting on a bit. It actually came as a shock to me at the time because I always remember her being the tough nut of the family, always whizzing around doing chores and cleaning. She kept her home spotless for many years and took pride in her work, cooking and helping her family. She was a grand old lady, and a very unique grandmother and great grandmother. Since I was a small child she would visit and play with me, and she was a big sci-fi fan - She'd read many science fiction books, seen a lot of movies and TV shows. Over the years we'd watched shows like Voyager, Babylon 5 and BSG together. I'd usually put on a tape or DVD when she visited. Later, as I grew up, I'd sometimes visit her place for dinner and a few episodes.

Her favourite characters in B5 were always G'Kar & Londo. And on BSG it was Olmos' character Adama. She thoroughly enjoyed both shows to their endings, and it was probably the only time I'd seen her get emotional after Sleeping in Light.

She was also a big fan of instrumental music, including the soundtracks of B5 and BSG. It wasn't the only music I introduced to her, but she was always very pleased to listen to whatever I had to offer.

To be true, despite having a reputation of being a bit direct and cold on the surface, she was actually very warm & caring and probably the coolest grandmother I can think of.

At her funeral I'd selected two pieces of music to play at the end:

The first part of 'The White Light' from the Sleeping in Light soundtrack,
And the 'Roslin and Adama' track from the BSG Season 2 CD.

Anyway just wanted to post that... :)

She was truely a great person! I still miss her.

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Thanks for sharing. She sounds like an awesome grandmother indeed. I never really got to know any of my grandparents, something I really regret. I would have love being able to share something like that with my grandparents.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Sound like she was a great grandma, a great person, and a great scifi fan! :)

I wish I could see mine more often, but lacking a car it's a good 6-7hrs of awkward travel connections one way for me to see her :(