Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

For the Elite: Dangerous fans!

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    ED Status: 20,223 Backers, £1,177,542 pledged of £1,250,000 goal, 65 hours to go. (94.20% reached, 4.51% time left).

The good news is that the gap between the reached goal and the time left is closing because the number of backers is increasing and/or the current backers are increasing their pledge.

The average pledge is £58.23, which is still quite reasonable. What is unreasonable is that some backers are still pledging several hundreds or over one thousand pounds. That is a nice thing to do to help the KS, but is totally out of proportion for a video game. So what did you get, a game and a toy space ship? So much for the kids going to college then. ;)

I'd love to get into the design decision forum though... sigh.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    While I can't imagine doing it myself, those who do pledge hundreds/thousands of pounds (or dollars in Star Citizen's case) are the reason these funding campaigns are successful, so you shouldn't complain.
    Oh, I'm not complaining, I'm just proposing a minute of silence to all those husbands who are sacrificing the future of their kids for the sake of our entertainment. :)

ED Status: 20,500 Backers, £1,200,412 pledged of £1,250,000 goal, 58 hours to go. (96.03% reached, 4.03% time left) Wow!!
    With £27,000 to go, I think they'll be funded today. Very pleased by that, I started playing Frontier First Encounters again and it got me a lot more excited for this new game. Their new stretchgoal...yeah I don't think they'll make it quite that far but good effort.

In the time it took me to write that, it's now £26,000 :)
    Less than £15,000... I'm still wondering if I should raise my pledge. I'd love to be a fly in the design decision forum (£300) or at least get into alpha testing (£200) as well... but it's quite some cash. Right now I'll get into the backer forum, which isn't too bad.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I wish I had £300 to spare that I could blow on something like this. Altho on balance I think I'd rather put it towards buying a house this year either way!

Out of interest Stingray, what are you going to do when ED does get funded? You're going to be rather bored aren't you? :p
    I don't have £300 to spare... I just moved into my home two months ago, but I trust all those who pledged that much or more are true fans and will help make this the best Elite game ever.

I have plenty of things to do, other than ranting and raving about technology and stupidity. ;) My job is never done!

I got Sleeping Dogs today, I always wanted to check out Hong Kong without actually going there.
    < £10,000 :)
    < £9,000 :)
    < £7,000 ;)
    < £6,000 ;)
    < £5,000 :D
    < £4,000 :D
    < £3,000 :D
    < £2,000 :D
    < £1,000 :D :D
    Whoohoo!!! The KS has reached its goal!!! [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

[B]*** ED Status: 20,993 Backers, £1,250,597 pledged of £1,250,000 goal, 52 hours to go. (100% reached, 3.61% time left)[/B]

[B]*** This project will be funded on Saturday Jan 5, 1:00am CET.[/B]

Depending on the PayPal funding, we might actually make it to the MAC OS stretch goal. [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/wink.gif[/IMG]

Anyway, this is awesome!! [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/smile.gif[/IMG]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Congrats Stingray, now you're out of a job! :p
    Victory! It's good to know there are two big space sims now in development. It's going to be a long year waiting to get our hands on anything playable but I think the timing should work out. A playable deathmatch style Star Citizen demo a year from now and then Elite Dangerous a few months later to tide us over while Star Citizen is finished off.

It will be interesting to see how many other space sims start to pop up as a result of these two campaigns but it's just a shame that we won't see a kickstarter for another X-Wing.
    Thanks SD, now I can go back to lurking like almost everyone else. Where is everybody anyway? I know winter can be tough, but it's never been this quiet before. :(

So Worf, which version of Elite are you playing, the fan enhanced version of FFE? I can't remember which one includes the higher resolution textures and models. I actually saw a few tutorials about EF2 a few days ago, and I learned a couple new things... unbelievable. :D I also found my galaxy map, it's still in good condition... I usually don't keep stuff like that, but I did keep my original EF2 box from way back when.
    I know, it's been far too quiet around here recently. Maybe when these games come out we can advertise a B5 presence and try and attract a few new members; it'd be nice to have the place a bit fuller again :(
    I'm playing [URL="http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html"]this one[/URL] :)
    Nice, ill have to look into that one! Im having problems finding any games to get into at the moment, beyond ones I've played hundreds of times before, so thats definitely worth a look!
    Well, Worf, looks like I'm S.O.L. with HiresFFE. I can't seem to be able to download the darn thing. Both the Complete and the first partial 7zip file gets interrupted during download and you can't try again before completing the current downloads. :( What a cruel game!

I'll look into Oolite.org instead. :)
    Probably doesn't help that I'm playing a version of that mod I've had installed for a few years.

As for Elite Dangerous, they just met the Mac stretchgoal. That's going to be one area where they beat Star Citizen, who have so far been reluctant to commit to anything but windows. With 21 hours to go, it remains to be seen if they can make the other stretchgoal for 10 more playable ships. Here's hoping!
    I keep trying to download the game in parts, I have noticed that it interrupts at various download percentages, so maybe I get lucky and it will download completely once. ;) That particular file is "only" 47.7MB large, so it should be possible. I'm trying on 3 different transmission carriers, DSL, FiberOptics and LAN. :D I managed to get between 36 and 42 MB so far. I can try each once a day. I won't give up so quickly.

It's amazing how quickly the Mac stretch goal was reached. I'm still playing with the thought of upping my pledge...
    It's official, I upped my pledge to design decision forum (DDF) member, this is as close to space I'll ever get anyway, so I'm all-in, no surrender, no retreat, ramming speed!!! :)

I have been thinking long and hard about it and there it is. It's going to be a fun ride. Funny thing is, the official Frontier Development forum is not unlike this one, mostly insane adults. That's probably why I've been lurking there for many years. :D
    It's official, I upped my pledge to design decision forum (DDF) member, this is as close to space I'll ever get anyway, so I'm all-in, no surrender, no retreat, ramming speed!!! [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/smile.gif[/IMG]

I have been thinking long and hard about it and there it is. It's going to be a fun ride. Funny thing is, the official Frontier Development forum is not unlike this one, mostly insane adults. That's probably why I've been lurking there for many years. [IMG]http://www.firstones.com/forums/core/images/old/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Edit: A few more details about what it means to be part of the design decision forum:

[I][B]"The Design Discussion Forum (DDF)[/B][/I]

[I]Many people have asked (via Reddit and elsewhere) whether the design discussion forum will continue post-release.[/I]

[I]The up to 160 people on the DDF together with people from Frontier will have near god-like powers post-release. They will have access to live stats for the galaxy on rates of piracy, locations for player death, trade activity and so-on. They will decide how the galaxy will evolve. They will decide when famine (or plague) might arrive in a particular system. If, for example piracy is unusually high for a sustained period in a particular system how should the galaxy respond? Should an adjacent system send warships? Should it decay into anarchy and any government collapse? When we create a new ship type or variant How should we introduce it? How do we close down a particular game exploit - or do we? As you can see, the decisions will not stop at release.[/I]" - David Braben

I like where this is going... I like it a lot!! ;)
    I don't like the idea of you having that much power! :P
    I don't like the idea of you having that much power! :p