Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Will we ever have a B5 game?

Now that ItF has gone beyond the rim will we ever have a B5 game?
I hope that with the new LotR movie and hopefully a new series the gaming industry will get interested in B5 again and that we`ll have our game.
I hope that FO.com will be the vanguard of the force driving publicity for it.
I hope that if this day comes to light we`ll see our dev friends come from beyond the rim.
I hope that Rick & co will find their right place in the universe
I hope that we will not fade away.
[i]Hope is all we now have....[/i]

"faith manages"

------------------
"The Universe doesn't give you any points for doing things that are easy."

[This message has been edited by Mr Shadow (edited 06-16-2001).]

Comments

• Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    Yes, there are many b5 mods and freewaregames [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • Faith Manages
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Marcus*COAL*Peake:
    [b]Faith Manages[/b][/quote]

That's a nice quote and all, but while faith may manage, reality rules. I'd have loved to see ItF released. Hell, I bought my current system soon after ItF was announced so I could play the game. However, I really doubt Rick would have given up if he saw any worthwhile possibility of the game being published. I'm not the kind of person who would grieve for something as relatively unimportant as a computer game, so that probably motivates the fact that I moved on rather easily some months ago.

With B5 being limited to reruns of the original series, the aborted first season of Crusade and the TV movies, which already existed at the time S14 fought for the game's production...I don't see any professional quality commercial B5 game being released to the stores unless Legend of the Rangers makes it to series form and is a money-making hit. Even then, it's not the good chance you'd see with the Star Trek franchise, since ItF was under work while the original B5 series was in its original run. I'd love to see a quality original commercial (i.e. released to stores) B5 game in the form of a space sim like ItF, a realtime strategy game or even a first person shooter, but I don't think it's going to happen, with B5's status quo, unless Legend of the Rangers takes off and succeeds like mad.

Plus, it's not healthy to obsess over something that's gone, without moving on to other things. Of course, this is just my opinion, I just woke up (no comments, please - my energy's been zapped by some in-office surgery and the meds they have me taking) and I'm not in full form, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.
  • what bugs me the most is that there are many trek games based on 2 crappy, wait...3 crappy series, yes TNG sucked.....yet not a single one b5 game based on a series that is down to earth believable
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I agree. It really ticks me off to walk into a games store to see that 70% of the stuff on the shelf is crap, especially when you consider the amount of work, time and money invested into making the thing. Its so annoying to see how trash gets through the net and gets published, when the likes of ITF, a game with a fantastic engine and with real spin off opertunities, just gets shelved and kicked around like an old tin can!

It really really sucks big time. I suppose we'll just ahve to wait and see if someone can do a good mod for I-War 2.....

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110"]http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110[/url]
  • what i can't believe is that they published voyager's elite force, man when i saw the box and graphics i didn't know whether to laugh or cry, they still used quake 2 engine...sheeesh
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    now, that is just judging a book by its over! Elite Force is an EXCELENT game. Do not put it down just because it is trek, or just because the box graphics are poor. The game itself is beautifully done, and plays like a charm.
  • uhhh. EF uses the Quake 3 engine
  • [quote]Originally posted by Falcon1:
    [b]I agree. It really ticks me off to walk into a games store to see that 70% of the stuff on the shelf is crap, especially when you consider the amount of work, time and money invested into making the thing. Its so annoying to see how trash gets through the net and gets published, when the likes of ITF, a game with a fantastic engine and with real spin off opertunities, just gets shelved and kicked around like an old tin can!

It really really sucks big time. I suppose we'll just ahve to wait and see if someone can do a good mod for I-War 2.....

[/b][/quote]

I agree with you. That is why the gaming industry goes throu a constant crisis. Whole genres are dissapearing from the scene, some of them forever(????), like platforms and arcades, or some of them for some time, like rpgs.

There was a time when the space sim games were better, and more. Like Elite, X-wing-Tie-Fighter, Wing Commander. These games weren't only the best in their category, but they were considered by many as the best games in their time.

Now look at Freespace 2. It is an astonishing game, it has good graphics and a very good storyline. But its sales weren't exactly good.

I am afraid that with the death of the ItF and the FS series, its the time of the Twilight of that genre, with a litle hope for its rebirth from the upcoming I-War 2 and Freelancer.

------------------
    Never fear, Smith is here
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Sanfam:
    [b]now, that is just judging a book by its over! Elite Force is an EXCELENT game. Do not put it down just because it is trek, or just because the box graphics are poor. The game itself is beautifully done, and plays like a charm. [/b][/quote]

EF's only shortcoming was that it followed the typical Voyager storyline, Interesting Beginning, Great middle, Rushed ending, and it was too short. The gameplay elements were great. but the story was only adaquate.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    I believe there will be a B5 game come out so in the meantime we have mods that are produced from some very talented people [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    D'Ren beat me to it... Elite Force does use the Quake 3 engine, and in my opinion does far better with it than Quake 3 itself. It is also an excellent game.

I believe we will get a commercial, full-fledged B5 game one day. And I believe that when that day comes, Firstones.com will be the leader of the fans behind it.

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Although there will be many more mods and freeware stuff, there [b]will[/b] be an official game like ITF that you will be able to buy in the shops!
    We will prevail. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.
  • I'm sure there'll be one. Some day.

------------------
    Tall ships and tall kings
    Three times three,
    What brought they from the foundered land
    Over the flowing sea?
    Seven stars and seven stones
    And one white tree.
    See? If this many people believe it, it will happen.

------------------

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]See? If this many people believe it, it will happen.[/b][/quote]

I hope you're kidding about that. Even if wishing for something made it true, the active posters on these web boards who think that Rick is wrong that ItF is dead or that we'll see commercial B5 game released to the stores any time soon are a miniscule percentage of the gaming market. It would be nice, but I honestly don't see it happening unless Legend of the Rangers is pushed into series form and does amazingly well enough for a publishing house to pony up the money to get a game made.
  • milodmilod Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by JohnD:
    [b] It would be nice, but I honestly don't see it happening unless Legend of the Rangers is pushed into series form and does amazingly well enough for a publishing house to pony up the money to get a game made.
    [/b][/quote]

That's not really the only possible scenario. After all, quite a few Star Trek games were made before TNG permiered. If Time-Warner-AOL and the Sci-Fi channel are able to grow the franchise simply through syndication, novels, and conventions, that might be enough to interest a developer in publishing a B5 game.

As with every game, this is of course a long shot. But that's nothing new.

------------------
    --milo
    [url="http://members.home.net/milod"]http://members.home.net/milod[/url]
    I could just about take offense at that... but I won't, cause I was joking in part.
    But I do believe that WB will at some point want B5 games. Especially if trek games continue their current good streak.

------------------