Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Want to see a good movie? Rent [b]O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/b]

samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
It came out on DVD last Tuesday, and it's a great film.

Cohen Brothers films have always taken place in a world that's a bit...off... slightly disconnected from reality, but not so much so that they're in unfamiliar territory.

Some good things about this film:

1 - George Clooney - He's absolutely hilarious. You almost can't recognize him.

2 - John Tuturo - He's a Coen Brothers alumni, and he's a god damn chamelion. Wonderful.

3 - Dryness. A special digital process was used in this film (first for a Hollywood film, but Europe has used it before) in which much of the color was changed or muted. The film has a dry feeling. When you watch it, you feel it...I liken it to that raspy, dry feeling you get in your throat after you've spent an hour playing in a pile of dry autumn leaves.

4 - The Odessy - [b]O Brother Where Art Thou[/b] was loosely based on Homer's [b]The Odessy[/b]: a story which, oddly enough, the Coen Brothers admit to never having read (I guess it's based on the Cliff's Notes version. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] )

5 - The Soundtrack - I'm not a fan of country or gospel music, and this film has neither... but it's a 1920's southern style of music tnat's rarely heard today...some of the songs are haunting, some are fun, and some are somber... but each just "fits".

If you've ever liked ANY of Joel and Ethan Cohen's films, and even if you haven't, rent [b]O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/b]...it's proof that there ARE good films out there.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 06-16-2001).]

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I wanted to see that when it came out, but no theaters around here played it. I was so annoyed...
    :/
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    It played for quite a while at the big 16-screen theater here... loved it.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I had a chance to see it at a 20 theater multiplex, but missed it due to other priorities.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    I've been meaning to see that film. I heard that Clooney was robbed at the Oscars(tm) for not being recognized for this movie...

------------------
    [i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
    And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]
  • I saw it in the theater, a very good flick all around (story, music, etc...). Hey Sam, how's the sound on the DVD?

Dave
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Out on DVD huh? It came out here in cinemas a few weeks ago. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
    Yes, I believe Clooney was robbed. You just don't see performances like his very often.

The Sound on the DVD is great. The disc has both Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:
    [b]It came out on DVD last Tuesday, and it's a great film.
    [This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 06-16-2001).][/b][/quote]

Its on my list of thigns to see, So was Crouching TIger Hidden Dragon, (Or more aptly titled, Flying Actors, Hidden Plot)

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
    I really didn't care for Crouching Tiger that much... I thought it was still a goofy kung fu movie.

It was a very well-made kung fu movie, but still just a kung fu movie.
  • Hey Sam....You hang out at aint it cool dontcha???
    I go there on occasion to see what's up, but I almost never post there...
  • I loved "Crouching Tiger".
    It was the movie for which the phrase "Magic of the Movies" was made. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I've never seen "O Brother Where Art Thou?", but I definetly will one day.
    One recent movie that I didn't like, however, was "The Mummy Returns". I just thought it was a series of excuses to put some SFX on the screen, which although they were good, they cannot [i]make[/i] a movie.

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.
    I felt the exact opposite. I loved The Mummy Returns... it's not Oscar material, but then not every movie HAS to be Oscar material. The Mummy Returns was a fun ride. Great fantasy film. I liken it to Independence Day. It's not going to profoundly affect you or make you think, but it's a fun film...good for a Saturday afternoon.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:
    [b]I felt the exact opposite. I loved The Mummy Returns... it's not Oscar material, but then not every movie HAS to be Oscar material. The Mummy Returns was a fun ride. Great fantasy film. I liken it to Independence Day. It's not going to profoundly affect you or make you think, but it's a fun film...good for a Saturday afternoon.[/b][/quote]

I agree 100%, i go to the movies to be entertained, and Mummy Returns did that, Every movie that i see doesn't have to be a 5 oscar winner, as long as its entertaining, thats what its all about/

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
    I think the important thing is that a movie has to do what it does well.

The Mummy Returns doesn't pretend to be what it's not. It's a fantasy action flick, and that's all it tries to be.

If a movie's purpose it to scare you, it can only fail if it fails to scare. It's not a failure if it doesn't make you think, or make you cry...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon didn't really fill me with any emotions (though it did make me chuckle at the goofiness of some of the lines (maybe that's the fault of the translation)), so for me, it failed.
  • GrevenGreven Ranger
    The ending to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was dumb.... [Hi-light is see what the ending was]She jumped off a mount and flu like a flying Squirrel down the mount.[/Hi-light is see what the ending was]

------------------
    [url="http://www.modfactory.net"]ModFactory[/url]
    <*>

[This message has been edited by Greven (edited 06-17-2001).]
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    "DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE!"

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110"]http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110[/url]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I think in Crouching Thingy, Hidden Whatsitg, they over did the flying a bit much.

Sam: I agree completely with that. Movies only fail if they fail in their intended purpose. If it fails to entertain me in any way, it has failed. Otherwise it is fine in my book. It really pisses me off when my friends accuse me of poor taste when they don't like some of my DVDs (take There's Something About Mary for example) because they don't win oscars. They entertain me, I enjoy watching them, therefore I like them. And anyone who thinks I shouldn't enjoy it because it doesn't have depth or they didn't like it can go get screwed.

PS: This should really be in The Zocalo. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras