Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

OT - A lifetime of sorrow

PyreMancerPyreMancer Earthforce Officer
I wish that I wouldn't have had to truncate that line for my title, but it seems that moments of joy are somewhat dead, at least at the moment. ItF is dead, and while there may be something else in the future, I think that we have to call it a loss, at least in some sense. Somehow, I wish that would be the end of the problems.

Earlier this year, I dropped out of existence. Some of you may remember why, but the short version involves alot of problem with my family, moving, losing everything we owned, and my GPA dragging itself into the corner and shooting itself. Somehow, I wish that would have been the end of my problems.

Recently, as I'd lost my computer in the afformentioned problems, I was spending a lot of time researching new parts to buy and put together my new machine. I bought the fastest, best stuff I could, and ended up with a $2000 DDR TBird box. I loved it, and it died. Thanks to a faulty motherboard, I just lost the entire thing to a core voltage spike. Core voltage spikes have a nasty habit of not only toastig the motherboard and the CPU, but any attached cards. IDE devices would be safe, except that a voltage that high generates a very high electromagnetic field, wiping everything. Seeing as I don't have the money to replace anything, and Asus (the people who made my motherboard) has not responded to my $2000 damages claim, I'm screwed for a few years.

I think the simplest way of looking at all of this is rather short: I'll be leaving beyond the rim for a while, and it may be for a month or a few years. Either way, it's been fun being with you guys. I'll see you all around.

Peace.

-Pyre

------------------
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel Fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was nothing," says Man, and for an encore, goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed at the next zebra crossing.

Comments

• CanuckCanuck Ranger
    I'm sorry to hear about this PyreMancer, and I'm sorry to hear that you're going.

Take care untill the next time we see you
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Yep, that's life. Life has the tendency to kick you in the groin when you're not looking. Sad to hear that so much bad stuff has come your way recently, though. Hope you catch a lift from the vorlons on your way back here.

See ya.

------------------
    Life is full of surprises. The ones reserved for me usually come wearing brass knuckles.
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by PyreMancer:
    [b]I think the simplest way of looking at all of this is rather short: I'll be leaving beyond the rim for a while, and it may be for a month or a few years.[/b][/quote]

Good luck with everything, including dealing with ASUS.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I am sorry to see you go, PyreMancer [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

You will be missed.

As for that board: I recently had a similar issue. Ruined a Mobo, Processor, and Video Card :/ Thanks for bringing this up. It has given me a new theory as to what has happened.

Anyhoo, I wish you luck in sorting out your problems. peace be with you!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by PyreMancer:
    [b]I loved it, and it died. Thanks to a faulty motherboard, I just lost the entire thing to a core voltage spike.
    [/b][/quote]

Interestingly enough, The same thing happened to a friend of mine with his Asus board, which is why i went with Abit instead.

Guess this is a problem with their boards, hope you get them to give you your $$$

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!

Come back soon! Even though you probably won't read this!
    And if there is one thing I can say about Asus it is that while their stuff is usually high quality, their tech support is absolute shit!

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.
  • PyreMancerPyreMancer Earthforce Officer
    I may have a chance.

[quote]Someone once told me that when you are falling off a cliff, try flying.[/quote]

I was recently told about a service called Watchdog that handles situations where the end buyers get screwed by vendors and makers. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll be gone for a while, at least. I'll see you all again in a place where no shadows fall.

------------------
    "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing."
    "But," says Man, "the Babel Fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
    "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
    "Oh, that was nothing," says Man, and for an encore, goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed at the next zebra crossing.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I'm kind of miffed at ASUS at the moment...

I have an old P2B-LS that I was using with a PII-450 Slot 1 processor. Everything worked fine. I just recently aquired a newer ASUS board with a PIII-800 Slot 1 processor, and I can't get windows of any version to finish installing on my hard drives without it bombing out into an error.

I can format the hard disks as bootable DOS drives, but during the install of Windows 98, NT or 2000 Pro it will only get so far and then pukes...

:/

WTF?