Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

OT: Current Reading/Play List

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
Well, I thought for the sake of conversation, I'd drop my latest reading list on the group, as some of it may be of interest to some of you...

[b]Game Architecture and Design[/b]
by Andrew Rollings, Dave Morris
742 pages Bk&Cd Rom edition (November 9, 1999); The Coriolis Group; ISBN: 1-576-10425--7 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.90 x 9.27 x 7.41

This is *THE* book to read if you really want to know what it takes to make a game. It may sound pricy at $49.99, but it's worth every last penney. It's not a "code monkey" book. In fact, quite to the contrary--it talks about gaming theory, business practices, studio structure, design-- practically everything you need to cover to start a successful game from a production standpoint. Of all the books I've bought over the past 10 years on making games, this is *THE* book I'd keep if someone said I could only keep one.

----

[b]A Stitch in Time (Star Trek : Deep Space Nine, No 27)[/b]
by Andrew J. Robinson; 396 pages (May 2000)
Pocket Books; ISBN: 0671038850 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.22 x 6.78 x 4.18

Ok, before some of you blast me for heresy (duck), this is actually one of the finest pieces of Sci-Fi I've ever read. For those of youwho don't know, Andy Robinson is the actor who played Garak in Deep Space 9; a character that I tiik an instant liking two because of his sharp with and onion-like layers to his persona.

I must admit, I didn't have high expectations when I was first picked this book up, but, unlike other former Trek actors, I was pleasently surprised--Andy is a [b]*very good writer*[/b]. [i]I literally couldn't put this book down.[/i] I read all 400 pages in just under two days.

The novel itself deals exclusively with the character he played for seven years on DS9: Elim Garak. We learn about Garak's childhood and the events that lead to his exile on DS9; we hop inside his head and share his internal feelings prior to the "liberation" of Cardassia from Dominion rule; and we learn what became of him after the series concluded, and he left DS9 to finally go home.

These threads are conveyed as three interwoven memoirs Garak sends to Dr. Bashir, tailored in the most artful fashion. (I had to stick in some "tailor" humor there.)

I'm afraid that whatever I write wouldn't do it justice. Suffice it to say it was some of the best Sci-Fi I've read in several years, and now enjoys a place on my "top-ten" list (right up there with the B5 Centauri Trilogy, "Contact", and "Icefire"). The book gave excellent closure and depth to a character that I found to be one of the best creations in recent Sci-Fi storytelling.

I'm now only just starting on the Technomage Trilogy, but it's too early to tell. It will be quite hard to top the Centauri Trilogy and "A Stitch in Time."

Time will...indeed...tell.

----

[b]DS9: The Fallen[/b] (PC) by The Collective; Published by Simon & Schuster Interactive.

Also (not that I'm on a Trek binge or anything), those of you that liked "Elite Force" should probably get the most underrated game released last year: [b]DS9: The Fallen[/b] developed by "The Collective" (No, not the Borg), and Published by Simon and Shuster. The Collective did a great job on that game, which, in many ways, seemed to me to be far superior to Elite Force (for one thing, you actually USE the tricorder for useful things in the game). Apparently it was good enough that they landed the "Buffy" tie-in game, which, if rumor holds true, was much sought after.

The Story driving the game is based on events in the Millenium Trilogy of DS9 novels by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (a fine writing team), and allows you to play from the perspective of Sisko (heh..I almost typed "Cisco"), Worf, or Major Kira. Don't let the Third-person "Tomb Raider" perspective of gameplay fool you--it works very well for the game.

Interesting note: all for the DS9 actors contributed their voices except for Avery Brooks (Sisko), and Colm Meaney (Chief Obrien).

I loved hearing Andy Robinson reprise his role as Garak...especially the line "It reminds me of an old Cardassian saying-- 'there are ways to die, and there are ways to die...'" I miss Garak as much as Londo and G'kar sometimes [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

I have high hopes for "Dominion wars", and find it interesting that you'll actually be able to use a special version of S&S's "Starship Creator" to make custom vessels for use in the RTS game. That could be interesting.

----

If any of these interest you, support FO.com, and order 'em through the Amazon link on the main page. I rarely recommend things publicly, but these three were real gems.

OK.

Back to the Margarita Rim.

-Rick

------------------
[i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-17-2001).]

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That's quite an interesting list, Rick! You are a man of fine taste indeed. I've been meaning to pick up DS9: The Fallen for quite some time now. And it has been quite a while since I read a good Star Trek book. Plus I really want a book on game design, and your one might be a good one (although I'm not sure how much I want on the production side at this point, I still need to learn about algorithm design for games, game engines, etc).
    I think I will remember your recommendations when I come across some money.

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    In the Avatar books (the first in a group of books telling of DS9's 8th season), Bashier is reading A Stich in Time in Quarks. I figured it's a nice touch. Pity my sister hasn't given me back my copy yet.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Avtar covers the "post-Sisko" era?

------------------
    [i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
    And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]
  • KevokKevok Trainee
    Hi, I wholeheartedly agree with you Rick.

The narrative in DS9 was immensely enjoyalbe and it was just loose enough to give the illusion that you weren't being led down a linear path (though you were).

It was the first really good Star Trek game in a number of years, the original Star Trek games from Interplay ( ST: 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites) played like episodes.

Games like Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy lose the story elements that make you feel like your part of the show.

One of the reasons that I was looking forward to B5:ITF was because you, the developers, knew what made a good game and were not afraid to be ambitious.

The fallen was a return to what made ST: TNG A final Unity so much fun. It started with a Captains Log [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Kevok (edited 06-19-2001).]
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    DS9: The Fallen has some [i]amazing[/i] scenery...the level with the crashed Federation ship comes to mind. I was in awe at that scene...the feeling that you were walking on the outside of a massive ship was very convincing.
    Yepper, starts three months after What You Leave Behind. And one of the replacements is someone we've met before.
    [quote]Originally posted by Kevok:
    [b]The fallen was a return to what made ST: TNG A final Unity so much fun. It started with a Captains Log [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
    [/b][/quote]

I loved "A Final Unity"...Spectrum was panned for that so badly, and I have no idea why (so what if it was a "little" late...)

-Rick

------------------
    [quote]Originally posted by David of Mac:
    [b]Yepper, starts three months after What You Leave Behind. And one of the replacements is someone we've met before.[/b][/quote]

are the Avtar series the only ones that deal with what happens after season 7?

(note to self...get Avtar set).

------------------
    A Final Unity is, in my opinion, the best Star Trek game made. It is done perfectly. While playing it, you feel like you are in an episode of Star Trek, and the way the story branches and twists is amazing. So many surprises along the way. Even the start is done like an episode, with the captain's log, a real teaser (with tension!), and then the credits, then into the game, where they even have the title A Final Unity fade in and out at the top of the screen, just like in the episodes. Ah it's so great, I think I'll go play it again right now!

------------------

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
    I don't have a system to play it on, sadly.
    Same for my old 25th Anniversary Edition. It bugs me, because these are both great games worthy of much prasie. Same for judgement Rites.
    What? A Final Unity works fine under win98 and win2k for me.
    I don't have 25th anniversary, and from what I've played of it it comes very close to being as good as A Final Unity. I would love to get a copy of the cd version though. Apparently the doctor and Spock are great in it.

------------------

• JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b]Well, I thought for the sake of conversation, I'd drop my latest reading list on the group, as some of it may be of interest to some of you...[/b][/quote]

My current read/play list...and no, I'm not
    kidding about these and yes, I'm willingly reading these:

1. Fluid Mechanics, 2nd Edition, Frank M. White

2. Numerical Solutions for Partial Differential Equations in Science and Engineering, Leon Lapidus and George F. Pinder

3. Calculus and Analytic Geometry, 4th Edition, Stein

4. Ultima Online

5. Red Alert 2

#3 is a preparation for #1 and #2 (well, after the fact), to get back up to speed for work. #4 and 5 are good ways to vent after #1-3 [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • JohnDJohnD Ranger
    [b] I loved "A Final Unity"...Spectrum was panned for that so badly, and I have no idea why (so what if it was a "little" late...)
    [/b][/quote]

Do you remember the hidden pic on that CD of Ferengi Bob, the Asian-American Ferengi? No, I'm not kidding.
    [b] are the Avtar series the only ones that deal with what happens after season 7?

(note to self...get Avtar set).

[/b][/quote]

No, just the first, sort of like a pilot. From what I've heard, It'll be an ongoing series made up of 2-6 book mini series. It's seems to be structured like the New Frontier books. They have an ongoing arc like B5, but put the people above the Big Picture when it comes to the story.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    My current reading/gaming list:

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn (Definatly the best Star Wars books and maybe even better than the movies...well at least definatly better than E1)

Homeworld: Cataclysm (I like this much better than the original...and I like having a command ship that moves rather than the mother ship)

and finally Xwing vs TIE Fighter.

Worf

------------------
    "Playing computer and video games doesnt create murderers and terrorists....cancelling computer and video games creates them." -Me-

Join the fight for freedom at [url="http://www.newrepublic.de"]http://www.newrepublic.de[/url] and [url="http://www.isd-imperium.co.uk"]http://www.isd-imperium.co.uk[/url]
  • Rick...pls...can u give me 3 books of the first type,...(maybe one more business oriented?).

thx..its very difficult now to take good info about this....one of the sites, covering itf,...info...is now different and loosing most of this kind of info.

and ..paper magazines...rarely write about this topic,...only...in the last days with the lauch of lara croft movie..."the movie of the game with 21 million of copies sold around the world".

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img] ppllssssssssss
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    well,my reading/play list is as follows...

1) Ultima Online, though it's not the OSI servers, it's a free shard called Darkage (check it out, we need more players [url="http://ff6.square-net.com/dark)."]http://ff6.square-net.com/dark).[/url]

2) I haven't been reading anything for more than 2 days, I've laready finished the Hitchhiker's Guide series for the second time, Chapterhouse and Heretics of Dune didn't really interest me, and I can't find Starship Troopers.

3) System Shock 2

4) Fallout

5) Random military sims: Jane's WWII Fighters, and Fleet Command, CFS.