Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

One Nation, Under God...

13»

Comments

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Been readng Ender's Game again...

heh heh...

Very interesting...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Human was breathing heavily. "I see," he said. "They were part of the tribe. From the sky, but we made them brothers and tried to make them fathers. The tribe is whatever we believe it is. If we say the tribe is all the Little Ones in the forest, and all the trees, then that is what the tribe is. Even though some of the oldest trees here came from warriors of two different tribes, fallen in battle. We become one tribe because we say we're one tribe."
    - [i]Speaker for the Dead[/i], Orson Scott Card

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    Hmmm... that reminds me to add Xenocide to my "books to find" list (which is pretty much just that and "Three Kingdoms").

1) I gotta come out on the side of Bungle for this one, we haven't seen anything that remotely looks like a communist nation yet. And that it will NOT work in todays world.

IE: the United Federation of Planets from Star Trek would be the best case scenario.

2) Prayer in school is not exactly a comfortable subject for me, I'm two generations removed from my grandparents, who had to endure their childhoods in canada's "Residential Schools".

IE: Kids were basically taken from their homes, and made to go to a secluded school with a %30 mortality rate run by nuns. If they tried to speak in their native tongue, they got beaten, they tried to practice their traditional beliefs, the got beat. Because of this, our entire culture has been pretty much beaten out of our elders, and we're screwed.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]Human was breathing heavily. "I see," he said. "They were part of the tribe. From the sky, but we made them brothers and tried to make them fathers. The tribe is whatever we believe it is. If we say the tribe is all the Little Ones in the forest, and all the trees, then that is what the tribe is. Even though some of the oldest trees here came from warriors of two different tribes, fallen in battle. We become one tribe because we say we're one tribe."
    - Speaker for the Dead, Orson Scott Card[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by WHY:
    [b]Because of this, our entire culture has been pretty much beaten out of our elders, and we're screwed.[/b][/quote]

No not screwed... They just start over. The young will refashion their culture in the vacuum of it's presence.

As humans, we struggle against ourselves more than any other threat. We sabbotage our acheivements when we become complacent in our success. It seems to be a never ending circle. The goal of this game therefor to break out of the loop, and if we do, then we have passed the test and won the game.

No one knows what the next game will be though... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
  • CanuckCanuck Ranger
    Unfortunately, its easier for most of the young Aboriginals to assimilate into the "western civilization" mind-set, or they dont know about their ancestors and/or dont care unfortunately. Which is a real shame since the Aboriginals have such a diverse and rich culture. I'm not Aboriginal myself, but I have friends that are... and I have to admit, I feel guilty sometimes that I'm benefiting from their suffering. I also noticed through this debate that when people were tryin to point out "bad guys" by death tolls, no one talked about the amount of Aboriginals that were killed by the settlers here, and it was more than Hitler and his forces killed. (Sorry, dont have the numbers right now, my history major room mate is gone on summer vacation).

Just out of curiosiry, what background are you of, Why?
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    Kanien'keha:ka (don't bother pronouncing it), AKA. Mohawk.

And you've pretty much hit it on the head, there, Canuck.

Though, I really don't feel all that bitter anymore (G'kar is my idol, B5 has ACTUALLY changed my life forever). Being Xenophobic and spiteful, like turning into oncoming traffic, is counter-productive.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [quote]Originally posted by Canuck:
    [b]Unfortunately, its easier for most of the young Aboriginals to assimilate into the "western civilization" mind-set, or they dont know about their ancestors and/or dont care unfortunately. Which is a real shame since the Aboriginals have such a diverse and rich culture. I'm not Aboriginal myself, but I have friends that are... and I have to admit, I feel guilty sometimes that I'm benefiting from their suffering. I also noticed through this debate that when people were tryin to point out "bad guys" by death tolls, no one talked about the amount of Aboriginals that were killed by the settlers here[/b][/quote]

Not to mention, after the country was formed.

------------------
    GREEN
    ARDVARK
    WATERCOOLER
    COFFEE?
  • A5387A5387 Trainee
    I think it is stupid.... And I do beleve in god in away. But some people do not. Why should we inflict an opion on other people?