Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Laptop window shopping

ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
I'm considering getting a latop, though not in the immediate future... perhaps within the next couple of months.

I'm interested in getting a good, well-rounded desktop replacement system. By well-rounded I mean:
* high quality screen decent sized screen (15"+)
* fast (1.7Ghz+)
* good video card (though 32 megs will do)
* good speakers
* dvd/cdrw combo
* decent battery life.

What are some good brands that have what I'm looking for? I've heard good things about IBM and Toshiba, but haven't had any personal experiences with this.

Also, if anyone knows the difference between P4 and P4-M laptop CPUs, I'm very curious what it is. I have a theory that P4 is the desktop P4 processor that was just stuck into a laptop, while P4-M is the more portable, lighter less power-intensive version?

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    If price is no objective, look at the Dell M50 series. As powerful as the top of the line desktop...but majorly pricy.

Features on the on my office baught over the summer: 2GHz processor, nVidia Quadro4 400 GLGO (I think thats it), 40GB HD (they sell up to 80GBs in those things), can't recall the memory, but I think they handle up to 512MBs. You can get a DVD combo CDRW drive in them too. Costs about $5000 though [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

If you get one and decide to install linux on it, ask me what you have to do to get XWindows to work - you'll have XWin crash due to driver problems otherwise. I know how to get arround it - its quite simple really, but not strait forward.
    P4 are Pentium 4 (will be hotter and more expensive, but higher speed)
    P4-M are Mobile Pentium 4

------

Brands: Toshiba...if they are just as bad as they were a year ago, they suck - big time. At work we seem to have had a harddrive fail in them about once a month (we had about 25 of them).

IBM: Generally good quality, but IBM is always slow putting the latest gimmics on their systems. Part of that is quality related: They don't put anything on until they have fully tested it.

Dell: We started getting those at work over the summer, and every one of them was nice. They have a few bugs though: DO NOT install the Touchpad driver if you plan to use an external mouse. It seems that the speed controls on them are mutually excusive - but yet installing the Touchpad driver disables access to the normal mouse panel, so you can't set mouse speed anymore! The other annoying thing about them was their driver install CD: Remember to eject it before rebooting after installing a driver, otherwise it will boot OFF THE CD! They are very good sound systems otherwise.
  • [quote]
    Also, if anyone knows the difference between P4 and P4-M laptop CPUs, I'm very curious what it is. I have a theory that P4 is the desktop P4 processor that was just stuck into a laptop, while P4-M is the more portable, lighter less power-intensive version?[/B][/quote]

Yup.....Ya gotta watch out for that. Some companies are putting the non-mobile variant in their notebooks and selling them at lower prices......
    Yes, however the non-mobile varient can acheive higher speeds then the mobile varient. The mobile varient lags behind about 6 months on average...
  • Yes, but the Ms are cooler and better battery life..and unless you are doing some major rendering, you won't need the speed anyway.

Yeah, I REALLY like Dell laptops, good prices, great performance.

IBM of course is still the king of the heap, but you pay a HUGE premium for one of their systems.

I have a decent laptop, a dell 4100 with a 1ghz p3-m, 512 ram, 32mb Geforce 2 go, dvd, and a 14.1" sxga+ screen...but I can't imagine replacing my desktop with it..reliability (which isn't to say mine hasn't been reliable so far..but laptops tend to not last as long as a desktop, and if you drop it, then you are really in trouble..and I can't cross backup between drives), lack of storage space, and a lack in overall system performance (esp in games)....

I would reccommend you get a lower-end dell laptop (the 4150 or whatever is a great combo of size/performance/price), and then use the extra you would have spent on an uber laptop on a desktop..then you have both.

The Dell displays are AWESOME BTW..extremely high resolution that you rarely see on any other brand, mine is at 1400x1050 right now..a new gateway I saw the other day could only do up to 1024x768, anything higher and it goes into that dumb "scrolling screen" mode.

[This message has been edited by Keyan (edited 09-30-2002).]
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    Just make sure it has a Radeon Mobility 9000.

------------------
    [url="http://www.alecm.com/"]Alec McClymont[/url]
    3D Artist - GVFX
    "Something is only impossible until it's not."
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    titanium G4 all the way.

i suspect that apple will announce a dual g4 laptop at the next macworld.
    Radeons suck...

Go with the nVidia Geforce 4 Go or Quadro 4 Go...most good systems can come with those [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    thanks for all the responses.

I was considering getting a Dell Inspiron 8200 model, 1.7 Ghz with 15.1" Ultra Sharp screen (supposed to be really really good). however, I heard that dell laptops have really weak sounds quality with the built-in speakers.

Random Chaos/Keyan: What is sound quality like on your laptops? Is dell sound really as bad as people say?
    Personally, my laptop is 4 years old now so I don't think that qualifies. I never checked sound quality on the ones at work.

Oh - one annoyance of Dell laptops: No external volume control. You have to do it in the OS. Which is a PAIN for Linux.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Simple solution: headphones with a volume control. Not difficult to find.

------------------
    We are here to place President Grenewetzki under arrest!
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    [quote]Originally posted by Random Chaos:
    [b]Radeons suck...

Go with the nVidia Geforce 4 Go or Quadro 4 Go...most good systems can come with those [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img][/b][/quote]

Problem is the Geforce 4 Go is WAAAAAY slower then the Radeon 9000 M, and just as damn fincky, Ive been around notebooks with both the Geforce 4 Go and the mobile Radeon 7500 and they are just as fast and just as trouble prone.

Fastest for a notebook currently is the Radeon 9000M unless Nvidia launches a mobile NV 30 this fall, which there hasnt been much mention of.
  • It isn't HORRIBLE....although a decent set of headphones or even earbuds are not a bad idea (that and you get weird looks when you are playing JK II in a public place with the speakers going)

One thing about the video card- ATI has a very nasty tendancy to ABANDON driver support for their built in cards, leaving it up to the OEMs to provide drivers for new OSs. I know a lot of people with ati vid cards in laptops that got screwed when XP came out..my roomate no longer has video out. Nvidia, with the unified drivers supporting EVERY video card, including the laptops, keeps up support for mutliple OSs and new OSs.

Basically, "big" laptop speakers are a cheap gimmick IMO. They can never, ever compete with "real" speakers, and you'll rarely use them when you are "out and about" because they are distracting to others. If you want some speakers for gaming, I would definatly suggest you get one of the small 2.1 sets- 2 sats and a small sub, that will exceed any laptop speakers for like $30...
    [quote]Originally posted by Tyvar:
    [b] Problem is the Geforce 4 Go is WAAAAAY slower then the Radeon 9000 M, and just as damn fincky, Ive been around notebooks with both the Geforce 4 Go and the mobile Radeon 7500 and they are just as fast and just as trouble prone.

Fastest for a notebook currently is the Radeon 9000M unless Nvidia launches a mobile NV 30 this fall, which there hasnt been much mention of.[/b][/quote]

But can you name:
    A: A fully working ATI driver for any card of their's
    B: A location to find a Linux driver for that ATI card thats in Laptops

You can do both for nVidia...though laptop AGP interface can finicky with linux drivers - I know how to get arround that now.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    1. The CATALYST 7.72 reference drivers are working perfect with my Hercules Radeon 8500, and I havent had any problems since I got it, and if people are having problems with it, I suspect improper install.. (clear the registries people! CLEAR THEM!)

2. There are linux drivers for the mobility 7500 out there, and I drivers for the 9000 will probably be comming soon, notebooks with it havent even shipped yet (they should be comming out this month)

If you want performance in a notebook your pretty much stuck with dealing with the ATI chip probably for the next 8 months, assuming Nvidia paper launches its next mobile chip at Comdex (which is where they typicaly announce mobile products)

The problem is the Mobility 9000 even if finicky is a much better performer the the Geforce 4 go, now when Nvidia gets around to launching its next mobile chip, the situation will change.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I got news for ya. All built-in laptop speakers suck. They didn't make them for audiophiles in mind so just use a decent pair of headphones or earbuds. Hell, I only paid $5 for a pair of Koss earbuds at Wal-Mart...and MAN do they make a difference! I was using that POS headphone that came with my sony discman 3 years ago (damn thing wore out! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/tongue.gif[/img]). Since I plugged these babies in, I can make out a hell of alot more sound. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] It was like listening to a CD for the very first time. The clarity was amazing by comparison!

Finally a decent product from Wal-Mart! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/tongue.gif[/img]

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.savefarscape.com/"]SAVE FARSCAPE![/url][/b]
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Not entirely true Vertigo.

My father has a Toshiba laptop that has a pair of 2 way (mid range and tweeter)speakers and a subwoofer built-in. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    Chase
    Web Hosting Provider for FirstOnes.com
    http://www.radiusco.com/
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Oh yeah...Harmon Kardon speakers too. :P

------------------
    Chase
    Web Hosting Provider for FirstOnes.com
    http://www.radiusco.com/
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Yep, that's why I like Toshiba... I did some sound testing at a local Fry's and surprisingly, Toshiba and Compaq have the best sounding speakers by far.
  • Hmm, yes, great idea, lets put a SUBWOOFER (well, lets pretend it's a subwoofer) in a laptop. Adds bulk, weight, and a decent magnetic source to the thing (I know, it's "shielded"..but again, more weight and size)..and I'm sure it's great to pummel the internals of the laptop with low frequency vibrations. At least you get a fingertip massage.
    LOL @ Keyan - my thoughts too [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]