Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

anyone here in the DC area?

The Sniper struck again yesterday morning, making 8 dead and 2 wounded.

to all those in the DC area, stay safe.

------------------
[b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
[b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
[b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
---
[b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I'm following this closely. I am from the DC area (though I am in PA at school for the next 2 months).

For anyone wanting local news for whats going on: [url="http://acw.activate.net/bicdc/wtopnews/wtopnews.ram"]http://acw.activate.net/bicdc/wtopnews/wtopnews.ram[/url]
    (that is WTOP radio - its virtually all news and local to DC)
  • I'm from Arlington, but in SLC for school right now. My family and sister are all back there.

I'm still more scared that they will get in a car wreck on the beltway than getting shot by this guy/girl.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yeah. Stay safe all.

------------------
    Passive fields. January two thousand and twelve. A nation that stands alone. Cold voices, faces pale, Gathered unto their judgement day. Such words remain unspoken. Such pride remains unbroken. Just mothers to stand in vain and cry. Tears and medals in the rain. Shall I recall when justice did prevail? No reason to be found why reason did fail. The all clear resounding. The way was clear to rebuild this land. Shall I call on you to guide me well, To see our hopes and dreams fulfilled? On this day of our ascension.

VNV Nation - Honour
  • ArgoneArgone Genuine Klingon
    If you have to go out move erradically! Don't make a target out of yourself.

Please be careful! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/shad.gif[/img]

Argone

------------------
    [b]4 Thousand Throats can be cut in one night by a running Warrior[/b]
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    I live in Beltsville, which is practically the only area around DC where the guy HASN'T struck yet (to the northeast).

Let me tell you, even though I walk my dog around a fairly enclosed apartment complex, I still tend to move erratically and look at the bushes/trees.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i have family in montgomery county so im following this veeerrrry closely...
  • [quote]Originally posted by Vlad:
    [b]I live in Beltsville, which is practically the only area around DC where the guy HASN'T struck yet (to the northeast).

Let me tell you, even though I walk my dog around a fairly enclosed apartment complex, I still tend to move erratically and look at the bushes/trees.[/b][/quote]

Stay safe Vlad. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] and if your dog starts to act funny, RUN. (You never know when that sixth sence they occationally have might come in handy).

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    ---
    Rogue Trader - I'm from Montgomery County (Rockville precisely). I'm just glad I'm at school right now instead of at home...
    Another potential attack: Falls Church, VA
    Occured about 9:15 EDT 10/14
    [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com"]http://www.washingtonpost.com[/url]
    [url="http://www.wtopnews.com"]http://www.wtopnews.com[/url] (local DC news radio)
    [url="http://www.nytimes.com"]http://www.nytimes.com[/url]

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited 10-15-2002).]
    This Guy is definitly [b]SICK[/b] [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/mad.gif[/img]

God would I like to have 5 minutes alone with this Sicko. Can anyone say Chopped liver!!!

Argone

------------------
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Argone:
    [b]This Guy is definitly [b]SICK[/b] [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/mad.gif[/img]

God would I like to have 5 minutes alone with this Sicko. Can anyone say Chopped liver!!!

Argone

[/B][/quote]

the sad thing is, he was prolly trained to shoot by the US Government, i'll bet dollars to donuts he's an Ex Marine.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins

http://www.firefoot.com
    Possible...but as they said, he seems to be taking shots from closer then is possible with that gun, and thus likely doesn't have formal training - otherwise he would probably be taking them from further away.

Anyone else noticing a pattern? He never seems to strike during the work day. 10-4pm are always out. My guess is he has a regular 9-5 job...probably some sort of maitainence or construction job where he goes to various remote locations in a company vehical and takes shots of opportunity either on the way or on the way back. For all we know, he may be shooting from a moving (while its stopped at a stoplight) vehical most of the time - basically taking completely random shots of opportunity.

The one last night is odd - it occured much later in the evening then the others. The others have been right before or right after the possible 9-5 job. The one last night was several hours later - and thus he could have used his own vehicle instead of a company vehicle. Something to keep in mind as to why so many different vehicle seem to be reported. Sometimes he may be in a company vehicle, sometimes he may be in his own car.

As they also said, shell casings haven't been found (or at least reported) at most sites. This seems to me to lend further credence to the possibility that the attacks are occuring out the window or door of a vehicle - easy to have the casing fall inside then.
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    Right, but wasn't the one at the school pretty much confirmed to be from the nearby woods (where they found the tarot card, as well)?

The guy seems like he's being very meticulous and careful, so wouldn't it be possible that he'd pick up the shell casing after he fired? Seeing as he always only fires one shot, it wouldn't be too much trouble to make a note of where the casing falls and grab it before he takes off.

Also, I think there have been a few shootings a bit closer to the middle of the day (could have sworn one was at around 1 in the afternoon or so).

The weird thing is, after every shooting, between the time that the news initially reports the shooting, and the time that it's confirmed to be linked to the sniper, all the news outlets are making it seem that it'd be a [i]bad[/i] thing if it was the same guy doing the shooting. Personally, I'm a little relieved when I hear it's the same guy. I'd much rather have a single guy doing this, as opposed to one guy, plus a bunch of copycats, none of which they can catch.
    There has been only 1 that has occured in the time 10-4:
    (source: AP News)

– 5:20 p.m. Oct. 2: Windows shot at craft store in the unincorporated Aspen Hill area of Montgomery County, Md. No one hurt.

– 6:04 p.m. Oct. 2: James D. Martin, 55, of Silver Spring, Md., killed in grocery store parking lot in Wheaton, Md. (Montgomery County)

– 7:41 a.m. Oct. 3: James L. "Sonny" Buchanan, 39, of Arlington, Va., killed while cutting grass at an auto dealership in unincorporated White Flint area. (Montgomery County)

– 8:12 a.m. Oct. 3: Taxi driver Prem Kumar Walekar, 54, of Olney, Md., killed at gas station in Rockville, Md. (Montgomery County)

– 8:37 a.m. Oct. 3: Sarah Ramos, 34, of Silver Spring killed outside post office in Silver Spring. (Montgomery County)

– 9:58 a.m. Oct. 3: Lori Ann Lewis-Rivera, 25, of Silver Spring slain as she vacuumed her van at a gas station in Kensington, Md. (Montgomery County)

– 9:15 p.m. Oct. 3: Pascal Charlot, 72, of Washington, D.C., killed while standing on a Washington street.

– 2:30 p.m. Oct. 4: 43-year-old woman wounded in craft store parking lot in Fredericksburg, Va. (Spotsylvania County)

– 8:09 a.m. Monday: 13-year-old boy wounded as he is dropped off at school in Bowie, Md. (Prince George's County)

– 8:15 p.m. Wednesday: Dean Harold Meyers, 53, of Gaithersburg, Md., killed at gas station in Manassas, Va. (Prince William County)

– 9:30 a.m. Friday: Kenneth H. Bridges, 53, of Philadelphia, killed at a gas station in Fredericksburg.

– 9:15 p.m. Monday: Woman shot and killed at Home Depot store in Falls Church, Va. Investigators tried to determine if slaying connected to sniper spree. (Fairfax County)
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    some reports say he's fired at least two shots in at least one of the attacks.

The boy at school was reportedly hit by two bullets

And the standard range he is firing from is about 200-250 yards or at least thats what the reports are saying. Which is good, very good since they are head shots, I know people who are not in the the military who could do better. So its not garunteed this is a "sniper" Hell, I could do alot of these shots, and Im only average.. 250 meter center of mass shots on a still target (or one walking towards/away) with my 25-06? not a problem, and Im only using a 4 power scope.

If he was a government trained sniper he would be using a different round, match grade .308, perhaps a .300 mag, and you would be seeing headshots from 800 meters.. I know a guard sniper that shoots .25 MOA with his personal weapon (a tweaked remington model 700, and thats at a friggin 1000 yards.)

[This message has been edited by Tyvar (edited 10-15-2002).]
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Another thing, the witnesses have reported sighting two people, what ever happend with that?
    The "two" people is unknown. There have been reports of 2 people in vehicles reported at several of the scenes. The problem is they don't even know if the vehicles that were seen were connected. Yes there were 2 people in those vehicles, but they may be unrelated to the snipinges...
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    This guy is using .223 bullets, which I think is the same as a 5.56mm, which is used in AR-15 type (IE: M16, M4) rifles, which I believe has a maximum effective range of 300 metres or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which is likely), I've been seperated from the gun-nut Infiltration UT community for too long.

[This message has been edited by WHY (edited 10-15-2002).]
    Many killed at gas stations is what strikes me first. 4 out of 12. The one thing that would make this behaviour logical is if he/she drove around shooting people (or he/she just hates gas stations).

------------------
    Passive fields. January two thousand and twelve. A nation that stands alone. Cold voices, faces pale, Gathered unto their judgement day. Such words remain unspoken. Such pride remains unbroken. Just mothers to stand in vain and cry. Tears and medals in the rain. Shall I recall when justice did prevail? No reason to be found why reason did fail. The all clear resounding. The way was clear to rebuild this land. Shall I call on you to guide me well, To see our hopes and dreams fulfilled? On this day of our ascension.

VNV Nation - Honour
  • You can't trust any of the information that has been released/leaked/rumored.

Tyvar is right he's probably not a 'sniper' based on the round he's picking, that he has missed, that he goes for very still targets, and since his hits are all over the body not just head shots.

I'm not saying it straight out because there's a good chance it's not but:

1)I find it interesting that nothing happens from sun down on Friday until Monday.

2)If the person was a real loon he/she/it probably would have messed up by now. They are organized and probably have even have things like safehouses etc.

3)Perhaps they take Saturday off, and scout good locations on Sunday and do a hit on Monday. Take Tuesday off to scout, hit Wednesday. Take Thursday off, hit Friday before sun down. The pattern doesn't apply to the early hits because there was time to scout lots of places in advance.

4)Most people hit have been shopping or filling fuel. (The school doesn't apply but doesn't seem to fit in many ways, perhaps it was a copy cat)

5)They have in fact struck during the work day. No job perhaps, where's the money comming from?

6)The local economy has been greatly effected.

Judge for yourself: Militant Environmentalist going after consumers, a random loon looking for attention, upset worker, someone helping the gun control lobby, a genius looking for a challenge trying to outsmart the cops, and anti war type trying to make a bad point about oil and killing, or ???

[This message has been edited by Konrad (edited 10-15-2002).]
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I don't think there is a message here. This guy doesn't have a motive that I can see; he's doing it just to do it. If there were a message other than "you can't catch me," it would have been made clear by now. This is a lone gunman, not somebody with a complex support mechanism, though he may have one or two friends who are in on it to some degree. One shooter, though.

------------------
    We are here to place President Grenewetzki under arrest!
    Interesting. I just heard off WTOP (DC radio station) that the military is going to start running reconsiance flights to attempt to find the van.

The details I finally got:
    - A military inteligence unit is going to be standing by ready to assist the moment of the next shooting to deploy airborne survelience to track all vehicles leaving the scene.

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited 10-15-2002).]
    The school boy was shot only once.

I would bet he's been trained somewhere! If not military than private.

It does seem strange that every vehical decription some sort of white van with ladder racks, like painters or roofers use.

The what ever they say is safe he go's after, like the schools.

I really don't think they'll get this guy alive.

------------------
  • Almost anyone who shoots has had some training.

White trucks? They might be right to be looking for that truck. However, have you ever been to DC or the east coast. You can't go anywere whith out them being within eye shot, if one isn't... wait ten seconds. LOL [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
    Source: [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32138-2002Oct15.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32138-2002Oct15.html[/url]

[b]Aerial Surveillance By Military Aircraft To Augment Police [/b]

By Steve Vogel
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, October 16, 2002; Page A01

Military aircraft equipped with sophisticated sensors far more sensitive than those used by police will join in the hunt for the sniper terrorizing the Washington area, Pentagon officials said yesterday.

The aircraft will use aerial surveillance tools with night vision to "put eyes on the target very, very quickly," even if the gunman should strike under cover of darkness, a senior military officer said.

The decision to use the military in a domestic criminal case, while not unprecedented, is highly unusual and reflects the gravity of the search for the sniper who has killed nine people and wounded two others since Oct. 2.

"We all share the sense of urgency in trying to stop this," said a Defense Department official, speaking like others on condition he not be identified.

Among the concerns raised is whether such assistance would violate the Posse Comitatus Act, the 1878 law that bars the military from performing civilian law enforcement.

The authorization, signed yesterday by Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, is within the law, Pentagon officials said. Military pilots would be accompanied by federal agents during surveillance flights, officials said.

"Military operators would be doing that -- just operating the equipment," said a senior Pentagon official. "Law enforcement would do the analysis and follow-up."

If the aircraft sensors detected a muzzle flash from a gun, for example, it would be up to the civilian law enforcement agent to interpret the data, another military official said. The aircraft also would help coordinate communication among law enforcement agencies, officials said.

The military has manned aircraft equipped with electrooptical systems able to perform surveillance missions over a large area day and night. Computer-stabilized telescopic lenses aboard the aircraft are able to greatly magnify features.

"All of this goes well beyond what local police have," said John Pike, director of globalsecurity.org, a defense think tank.

Defense experts said the Pentagon has other capabilities that may be of use in the investigation, including counter-sniper technology and expertise.

The Defense Department has counter-sniper equipment able to detect heat from muzzle flashes and the sound of a gun firing and to locate the source of the fire almost instantaneously.

While effective, such equipment operates over a relatively short range.

"Trying to completely blanket the area would be very difficult," Pike said.

Military experts on sniping and terrain analysis could help police predict where the sniper might strike next.

"It's reasonable to assume that perpetrator is scouting sites in advance and using certain criteria," Pike said.

Senior military officers worried yesterday that the use of military tools in a criminal investigation could spark more requests for help in other notorious crimes while U.S. troops are in Afghanistan and gearing up for possible war with Iraq.

"The concern among the military is we're not a domestic law enforcement agency," said a senior Pentagon officer. "We have a lot of equipment that I would want, too, if I were a police chief, but it's the same equipment we need to fight a global war on terrorism, as well as Iraq."

The Pentagon considered using an unmanned aerial vehicle such as the Predator, an official said, but the option was rejected because of the crafts' heavy use overseas.

The request for military assistance came from Montgomery County and the FBI, a Pentagon official said. Officers on the staff of Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, contacted the military services Monday night and asked, "What do you have available that would be of assistance?" a senior officer said. Rumsfeld was briefed on the options yesterday.

Federal troops have been used occasionally through U.S. history in domestic law enforcement roles, including putting down the Whiskey Rebellion in 1794, integrating schools in Little Rock in 1957 and restoring order in Los Angeles during riots after the Rodney King verdict in 1992.

Under the terms of Posse Comitatus, the military can provide equipment and supplies, technical assistance and training to domestic law enforcement agencies, said Eugene R. Fidell, president of the National Institute of Military Justice.

Fidell said the Pentagon assistance to the sniper investigation may go beyond that.

"I would have to say that active use in a search would raise a question," Fidell said.

A U.S. District Court in New York held in 1961 that the use of an Air Force helicopter to search for an escaped prisoner was improper, he noted.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited 10-16-2002).]
  • I've spent some time thinking of punishments severe enough for sickos like this, finally came up with one. (If male)

first, give 'em a good whack between the legs, I mean break him.

then, make him run a mile el natural.

tie him him, start putting bullets in him, one at a time, starting at the feet, wand working way up to waist, (Every 10-60 minutes).

finally, before he bleeds to death, place him on top of the largest red and mound available.

Never going to happen, but its almost bad enough for these guys.

------------------
    ---
  • [quote]Originally posted by A2597:
    [b]I've spent some time thinking of punishments severe enough for sickos like this, finally came up with one. (If male)

first, give 'em a good whack between the legs, I mean break him.

then, make him run a mile el natural.

tie him him, start putting bullets in him, one at a time, starting at the feet, wand working way up to waist, (Every 10-60 minutes).

finally, before he bleeds to death, place him on top of the largest red and mound available.

Never going to happen, but its almost bad enough for these guys.
    [/b][/quote]

That's sick, and doing this would mean that you're not better then him/her. Even saying things like this doesn't help much. I can understand that such feelings come up when you see such inhuman things happen but as a human, one should try to overcome these feelings. Catch the people responsible and bring them to court.

I did not want to say something, but since that was the second time, someone reacted in a brutal and violent way, I did.

Violence only produces more violence. Humans have to stop this circle of violence, or we're all doomed.

PS: One thing I forgot but that should not been forgotten. Stay safe all, and try to overcome fear when it grows. This place (Earth in general) isn't as safe as we wished but we can all do something for it being a good place to live in.

------------------
    We are one. No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. .. We are one.
    No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. .. We are one.
    - Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles, The Paragon of Animals
    Webmaster [url="http://www.Sprungtor.de"]www.Sprungtor.de[/url]

[This message has been edited by Language of Hope (edited 10-16-2002).]
  • As I said, it won't happen. but I wouldn't complain if it did to this guy.

------------------
    ---

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited 10-16-2002).]
    Language. Youre a good guy. I only wish more people were like you.

------------------

VNV Nation - Honour
    *agrees with Messiah*

Another news conference on right now...

No new info coming out though...besides saying some things the press has been reporting can't be confirmed or are outright untrue...