Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Well, guess it's gonna happen after all

[url="http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=US&cat=US_Armed_Forces"]http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=US&cat=US_Armed_Forces[/url]

I dunno about you folks, but mobilization of the Military Sealift Command ships is evidence enough for me that Bush is gonna go into Iraq, with a prolonged ground war at that.

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Comments

• Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    YAY! time for another topic to get out of hand!

im for the war in iraq. hes a crazy ****head and needs to be stopped.
  • ArgoneArgone Genuine Klingon
    Ok now I guess it's time to jump to conclutions! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/eek.gif[/img]

------------------
    [b]4 Thousand Throats can be cut in one night by a running Warrior[/b]
    "its a jump to conclusions mat."
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Well, one thing's for sure. He's not planning a surprise attack. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Yeah, and now he'll have the senate behind him.

What gives us the right to act unilaterally on something like this? What gave us the right to blow up a car of SUSPECTED Al Quaeda leaders in Yemen? Without any kind of trial, no less?

We have become the playground bully. And yesterday's election shows that too many of us are proud of it.

Anybody hiring computer techs in Canada?

------------------
    AnlaShok, Captain of the Gray Hand of Fate Squadron
    Sidhe-1
    Wielder of the Big Heavy Hammer of Obvious Truth
    "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC!"
  • WHY_oldWHY_old Elite Ranger
    Rabble Rabble...

Rabble !
  • blah blah blah.

Yes, we are attacking nations, namely nations that need attacking.

I'll DEFINETLY admit that there is ALOT wrong with our government, mainly that its gotten to big. But I FULLY support Bush on getting rid of saddam. The guy is an absolute sadist! I don't think he has the weapons of mass destruction that we're acusing him of having though, if he did, there is little doubt in my mind that I would be dead, along with just about anyone else in the US near a major city. (I'm near Orlando).

There is alot wrong in the world, and there is no way to make it perfect, but every little bit helps IMO.

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    There are other things going on as well

1. Bob Hope just finished an equipment swap and is heading back to her noral port, she is based out of Diego Garcia, where she sits as a MPF ship.

2. the 8 sister ships comment actualy referst to about 3 different classes and includes 5 marine pre positioning ships at Diego Garcia, and its only the Bellatrix and Fischer that are unusual on the deployment

lastly, it takes all 8 Algol (the class the Bellatrix is a member of) to move a full armored division, and the Bob Hope only has about twice the space of the Algol class,so they are moving in enough equipment for maybe 2 divisions, that is NOT an invasion force, I still think there is something else going on.

Oh and for all your naval information needs I recomend [url="http://www.hazegray.org"]www.hazegray.org[/url] [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Tyvar (edited 11-06-2002).]
  • A2597, what makes you think he'd go so far as to attack the US? Are you so ego-centric as to think Saddam would waste his hard sought-after weapons program on your good selves?

He has his problems, but complete madness isn't one of them. Hitting the US head-on would have been the last of his plans; but, then again, much like a great many things in nature they will turn round and bite you if provoked. This man is a dictator - it's his aim to stay in power, not bring about his own downfall. Better yet, until not so long ago, he was the Western world's dictator of choice for the nation.

If the US acts unilaterally, without the backing of the UN security council, then I'm all for imposing sanctions on the US (as if that would [i]ever[/i] be allowed to happen [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/rolleyes.gif[/img] ); there's an incredibly dangerous precedent potentially about to be set here.

And there lies the main bone of contention between the US and Europe on the issue, for a great many people - who's to say that the Whitehouse is the moral center of the world? Who gave Bush the power to praise and condemn, to back with armed might or bring crashing down?

No one.

I'm against it - this is a problem of our own making, and there are certainly better options than Bush's vote winning war effort.
  • I wonder where this thread could end up... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Actualy Im in favor of declaring war on France next, some reports are indicating that France has been holding a stockpile of Small Pox for weapons reaserch (Which they signed a treaty to NOT do) and that they transfered some of that small pox in Iraqi hands

One of the things is if you actualy sit down and do an analysis of where money for the Sadam regime came from, and weapons (he had almost NO US made weapons save some older artillery pieces) the fingers start pointing to France and Russia its THEIR problem too and they should help solve this mess.
  • I think France are in favour of declaring war on the US next for their unwarranted military interventions over the last 50 years, their own potential holding of Small Pox, their illegal trade actions and the culpability of the CIA in the genocide in Guatemala...

None of which would have been deemed illegal, now, would they? [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/rolleyes.gif[/img]

It's not solely a US problem, but I never said it was - still, if Bush pushes for unilateral action then I don't see why there should be any complaint from the US government about a lack of support; a lot of people don't want a part in this 'war'.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [quote]Originally posted by Rogue Trader:
    [b]YAY! time for another topic to get out of hand!

im for the war in iraq. hes a crazy ****head and needs to be stopped.[/b][/quote]

Which one, Bush or Saddam?
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Yeah! Let's blow the crap out of the guy we put in power in the first place! Let's face lots of our own outdated weponry! Let's use the same tactics we used before against a military that has quite likely learned from the stomping they got before and will act in desperation to protect their homeland!

Screw the U.N.! Screw the rest of the world! Forget about the hideous abuses of human rights by the Chinese! Forget about the funding of terrorists by Saudi Arabia! We need to stomp on Iraq again! WOOHOO!!

One word: Oil.

------------------
    AnlaShok, Captain of the Gray Hand of Fate Squadron
    Sidhe-1
    Wielder of the Big Heavy Hammer of Obvious Truth
    "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC!"
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr_Bungle:
    [b]I think France are in favour of declaring war on the US next for their unwarranted military interventions over the last 50 years, their own potential holding of Small Pox, their illegal trade actions and the culpability of the CIA in the genocide in Guatemala...

None of which would have been deemed illegal, now, would they? [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/rolleyes.gif[/img]

It's not solely a US problem, but I never said it was - still, if Bush pushes for unilateral action then I don't see why there should be any complaint from the US government about a lack of support; a lot of people don't want a part in this 'war'.[/b][/quote]

First of all the US and Russia have possesion of small pox due to agrements made by and with the WHO (which had its head quarters in the US for a time) explaining why the CDC lab in Atlanta has the stuff. the guys over at Ft.Deitrech dont, but they do routinly run people through the CDC lab so they know what the hell they are dealing with.

France's own illegal trade practices are seldom talked about nor is its constant intervention, the french play power politics too, just nobody ever pays attention to their dictators.. or attempts to counter the Egyptian nationalization of the Suez in the 50's, Algeria, fighting in Morroco excetera.

What Im saying is everybody is culpable in this mess, we all conspired for our own reasons to put bastards in power, Iraq currently has somebody the US, France AND Russia all supported at one time or another, so how do we deal with it?
    [quote]Originally posted by AnlaShok:
    [b]Yeah! Let's blow the crap out of the guy we put in power in the first place! Let's face lots of our own outdated weponry! Let's use the same tactics we used before against a military that has quite likely learned from the stomping they got before and will act in desperation to protect their homeland!

Screw the U.N.! Screw the rest of the world! Forget about the hideous abuses of human rights by the Chinese! Forget about the funding of terrorists by Saudi Arabia! We need to stomp on Iraq again! WOOHOO!!

[/b][/quote]

Well if was all about oil wouldnt we go after Saudi Arabia? I mean they do have more of the stuff, and a hell of alot smaller population,

yeah they have modern weapons, but their logisitcs tail is in our hands. And their combat equpiment wont mean crap once we pull the guts out of it. We would pull the "winterization" scenario that the Russians pulled on the Afghanies when they first invaded in what 79?
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [quote]Originally posted by Tyvar:
    [b] First of all the US and Russia have possesion of small pox due to agrements made by and with the WHO (which had its head quarters in the US for a time) explaining why the CDC lab in Atlanta has the stuff. the guys over at Ft.Deitrech dont, but they do routinly run people through the CDC lab so they know what the hell they are dealing with.

France's own illegal trade practices are seldom talked about nor is its constant intervention, the french play power politics too, just nobody ever pays attention to their dictators.. or attempts to counter the Egyptian nationalization of the Suez in the 50's, Algeria, fighting in Morroco excetera.

What Im saying is everybody is culpable in this mess, we all conspired for our own reasons to put bastards in power, Iraq currently has somebody the US, France AND Russia all supported at one time or another, so how do we deal with it?[/b][/quote]

Don't forget it was the French that had the first Vietnam war and lead us into having a second one...

The French covertly recolonized Vietnam when the Japanese pulled out, thanks to British help. Thus embroiling them in the first Indo-China war. When the French were defeated and withdrew, the US stepped in.

Now whats this about French complaining of US imperialism...LOL

Anyway, I am NOT for war on Iraq. The French are just as big a threat as the Iraqis...hehe...lets attack France! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
    [quote]Originally posted by Random Chaos:
    [b]
    Which one, Bush or Saddam?[/b][/quote]

Saddam
  • [quote]Originally posted by AnlaShok:
    [b]Yeah! Let's blow the crap out of the guy we put in power in the first place! Let's face lots of our own outdated weponry! Let's use the same tactics we used before against a military that has quite likely learned from the stomping they got before and will act in desperation to protect their homeland![/b][/quote]

Majority of modern Iraqi equipment are Soviet/Russian and French, with some Chinese thrown into the mix. If the Iraqis have anything American or British equipment still in service, they'd be comparatively antiquated.

The Iraqis might have learned from DS, but they're still playing with the same hand as before, while the US has been drawing some nice, new cards.

[quote][b]Screw the U.N.! Screw the rest of the world! Forget about the hideous abuses of human rights by the Chinese! Forget about the funding of terrorists by Saudi Arabia! We need to stomp on Iraq again! WOOHOO!![/b][/quote]

Those issues will resurface. Eventually [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/rolleyes.gif[/img] And stop talking about the UN as if it really mattered. It doesn't. The world is not going to spontaneously end if someone defies the UN, as it's only an intergovernmental organization.

[quote][b]
    [/b][/quote]

The same reason why Red Storm Rising was such a crummy book: wrong motive for major war.

------------------
    "God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Well, the Security Council passed the resolution today. Tells Sadamm to open up or we have the right to go in (US). Everybody says that the US should mind its own business, but what the hell can we do? People bitch if things don't get fixed, and then they bitch if we try to fix them. I'm sorry, but the UN is bound to fail. It will fall in my lifetime (want to take bets?) The world is not ready to cooperate, at least not yet. Those of you who say we should leave Iraq alone, why should we let someone develop weapons of mass destruction/viral/biological weapons. And no, I am not talking about the Anthrax bullshit. I am talking about the real deal, Smallpox, viruses, ect. Stuff that can spread. There is too much scary shit out there. And I think that Sadamm is sadistic and messed up enough to use it (what does he have to lose? He has proven that human life holds little regard to him). To quote Jim Rome fanatics, I'm out.
  • oh well...i haven't posted here for a couple of
    years...maybe more but this topic is just too good to
    let by...

All the non-proliferation agreements are not backed or
    signed by the US, weapons of mass destruction, land
    mines, all that is banned by the those nations whose
    sole purpose is peace and development is backed by the
    US, what gives the US to try and have the monopoly over
    weapons of mass destruction? after all...who is the US
    to forbid anyone to develop them if they have the
    biggest arsenal and are the only nation ever to make use
    of such devastating weapons...

and if that wasnt all...the US is the only nation ever
    to be convicted at the ICJ (International Court of
    Justice)
    for their illegal actions in trying to overtrhow the
    government of Nicaragua.
    they never complied with the courts decision...

and also the KYOTO accord , Rio + 10.....and so on....