Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Who has the best education system in the world ?

In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
How did your country do ?

Here is the link:
[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/2520303.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/2520303.stm[/url]

As usual [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img] Your thoughts ??

Comments

• Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    Yeah, number 4!

Not too bad I guess.

------------------
    [url="http://www.alecm.com/"]Alec McClymont[/url]
    "Something is only impossible until it's not."
  • I hate public schools. absolutly hate them...

seriously, homeschooling is a MUCH better solution, no matter where you are, or how good the schools there are.

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
    Yeah, and home schooling is great at preparing a person for the REAL challenges of life: interacting with people. Public schools may not "teach" this, but it's one big thing people come away with. You learn how to interact with a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds and of both sexes. Working on school projects in groups and figuring out how to work out disputes really helps prepare you for the real workforce.

------------------
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The only thing bad about public education is the education part. and that really isn't the teacher's fault. My worries are the arts and band programs. And not all parents are good teachers.
  • i think my school is great, the teachers care, the atmosphere is friendly, its small, and everyone does well. I'm all for public schooling.
  • I'm assuming this is for public schools elementary to high.

Look at higher education and I think those rankings would be shuffled a bit.

------------------
    "Ambassador we all know that the first casulty of war is the truth."
    -John Sheridan

Ok so it's not exactly Max's journal but I think it's good
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40551
  • [quote]Originally posted by Slade:
    [b]Yeah, and home schooling is great at preparing a person for the REAL challenges of life: interacting with people. Public schools may not "teach" this, but it's one big thing people come away with. You learn how to interact with a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds and of both sexes. Working on school projects in groups and figuring out how to work out disputes really helps prepare you for the real workforce.

[/b][/quote]

dispite that the first sentance was layred mighty thick with sarcasm (It appeared that way anyhoo). its quite true, Homeschooled students not only have better grades, and actually KNOW the subject material, they also function better in a work enviroment, and get along with people BETTER. (Read: with ADULTS better. Homeschooled students can relate to adults, and carry conversations with adults, etc. ask this of most public schooled kids? hah).

I've had much contact with my generation. frankly, I'm pretty disappointed with them. They are rude to their elders, lack a concentration span of more then 20 seconds, talk about nothing but sex, and are foul mouthed.
    *sigh* I am SOOOO glad I was able to skip out on the highschool experience. horrid horid horrid. To think that the school system (I'm speaking US here folks) can actually prepare kids for the world in its current state is absolutly ludicris. They lable half the kids ADD, or some such (At [b]5[/b] years of age does ANY kid sit still?!?), and teach ONLY test taking skills, seriously, they plop so many tests onto the students/teachers that the teachers don't have any time to teach anything but the tests!!!
    Recently schools have even begun forcing jobs on students. "Oh, McDonalds needs more people to flip bugers" what do they do? stop pushing the kids they selected for burger kids, and over time, they essentially prep the kid for burger flipping, and this is done at a YOUNG age! (Same for vice versa: "Oh! look at this kids scores, advance him! tell him the benifits of collage!")
    Heres something to do, poll a few highschoolers, ask if they are planning on going to collage. I did this once. out of about 20 students, 1, ONE said that he did. (I got such replies as "Who wants four more years of school?!?" and "Only because my parents want me to.") argh! and you call schools a GOOD preperation for real life?!?

another things, GRADING. If a kid does absolutly LOUSY, one of two things happen: A: they hold the kid back in ALL subjects, not just the one they failed. or B: They push them forward, the kid doesn't know the subject material, fails everything, and still gets a highschool diploma. They then think that they can continue to do poorly in real life, and go though numerous jobs before they relize they can't. Don't tell me this isn't true, because I know people that have done just that, and they don't listen if you TELL them they got jipped in school!
    the ones held back can be VERY smart, but just have trouble in one subject, like math. I know one person that was held back FOUR years, after the second, she stopped caring, stopped trying, pretty much screwed her life (I mean getting into gangs, she had ALOT of anger, picture the absolute worst punk kid you've ever met, and this was she). well, her mother (a cleaning lady, dunno if she graduated from highschool) decided to homeschool her. in ONE YEAR her daughter cought up the FOUR YEARS, is now advanced, had earned her GED, is planning to attend collage, and is amazingly, a pretty and happy girl now. (If you had seen her before...the transermation was amazing).

Homeschoolers DO get along in the real world, they are MUCH better prepared for it then most public school kids, I know this as fact, as I am homeschooled, and I have numerous frineds that are homeschooled, and numerous ones that are not. Overall, the homeschooled kids are happier, more obediant to their parents (Face it, most publics school kids DON"T listen to their parents, if they don't listen to their own parents, how can you expect them to listen to a BOSS?), can actually carry conversations with adults, and most have numerous adult friends! Hard as it may be for you to belive, highschools and gradeschools do NOT represent a real world enviroment. Little contact with adults, alot of cantact with peers. Once they are out they don't know HOW to function with a group of adults, their peer group went from talking about TV shows to "The Kinzy report" thats due friday.

bah...I would say don't get me started on all thats wrong with the public schools..but you already have. (Mind you, this is the tip of an iceberd the size of antartica...)

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    ---
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [quote]Originally posted by Slade:
    [b]Yeah, and home schooling is great at preparing a person for the REAL challenges of life: interacting with people. Public schools may not "teach" this, but it's one big thing people come away with. You learn how to interact with a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds and of both sexes. Working on school projects in groups and figuring out how to work out disputes really helps prepare you for the real workforce.[/b][/quote]

It didn't work that way for me. I came away with no social skills whatsoever because I was the school's favorite punching bag. I had to learn it all extremely quickly when I got to uni, and I found it very easy to learn because there, people were [b]mature[/b].

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Cool! Irelands 8th! Not bad [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]www.NialB5.com[/url].
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    A#s I will reply later when I get a chance...
  • First in Europe and 3rd in overall rank,
    Not so bad. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/vsml.gif[/img]
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    "High-School" (secondary school/college) was one of the best times of my life. Its not about learning, its about having fun, full stop. I used to love winding up the overly catholic RE teacher I had... oh the fun... You can't do that sitting at home with your parents, how boring! How anti-social!!

When you get to university, that’s the time for learning, or smoking pot, whatever works best for you.
    Before I get into this, I am a high school student who feels that the while educational system has some fairly large flaws it is doing as good as it can. Both my parents have been teachers, my dad still is, and my mom is a high school counselor.

[quote]dispite that the first sentance was layred mighty thick with sarcasm (It appeared that way anyhoo). its quite true, Homeschooled students not only have better grades, and actually KNOW the subject material, they also function better in a work enviroment, and get along with people BETTER. (Read: with ADULTS better. Homeschooled students can relate to adults, and carry conversations with adults, etc. ask this of most public schooled kids? hah).
    [/quote]

Ok, I can not see how home-schooled kids do better in the work enviroment and get along with people better. How can this be possible in an enviroment where the only interaction is that with mommy and daddy? How do you meet new people, learn about different cultures, and develop important social skills? It is much more difficult with homeschooling. It personally offends me that you say that public school kids have problems talking to adults. I have no problem talking with adults, in fact I am close freinds with most of the staff at the high school. I don't see how a person is better off only talking to mommy and daddy (or whoever is homeschooling them) and not being forced to interact with teachers and other peers(forced to give speaches, ect.) Without peer interaction, no matter what you say, the majority of kids will not grow into healthy productive adults able to interact with others. How can you say you are glad you missed out on high school when you have never experianced it?? That is like saying "I hate Germany, never been there, but hate it just the same..." If you have never even been to high school, how do you know it is so terrible? Who gave you this impression? Most kids may say they hate school but the majority enjoy it and do well with it. Not everyone, but a large amount do. High school is not for everyone, but you will be hard pressed to find a better experiance for these ages.

[quote]To think that the school system (I'm speaking US here folks) can actually prepare kids for the world in its current state is absolutly ludicris. They lable half the kids ADD, or some such (At 5 years of age does ANY kid sit still?!?), and teach ONLY test taking skills, seriously, they plop so many tests onto the students/teachers that the teachers don't have any time to teach anything but the tests!!![/quote]
    Don't give me the crap about ADD. It is a disease made up by [b]Parents[/b] and not by the school. The school does not just sit there and say. "Oh these kids have ADD." Speaking as a person who is going through high school, there are too many tests but that does not mean under any circumstance that all I learn are test taking skills.

[quote]Recently schools have even begun forcing jobs on students. "Oh, McDonalds needs more people to flip bugers" what do they do? stop pushing the kids they selected for burger kids, and over time, they essentially prep the kid for burger flipping, and this is done at a YOUNG age! (Same for vice versa: "Oh! look at this kids scores, advance him! tell him the benifits of collage!")[/quote]

I dont even know where you got this idea. Schools in no way say you need to go get a job. I suggest you find a better source of info on this matter. The only reason kids get jobs are: 1) Their parents make them or 2) They want spending money. As for prepping kids for college, what is wrong with that? IF I want to go to college because I want to go then I will take AP and Honors classes (as I am doing now).

[quote]Heres something to do, poll a few highschoolers, ask if they are planning on going to collage. I did this once. out of about 20 students, 1, ONE said that he did. (I got such replies as "Who wants four more years of school?!?" and "Only because my parents want me to.") argh! and you call schools a GOOD preperation for real life?!?[/quote]

I dont know what type of kids you sampled, but that is far from accurate. Since when does everyone have to go to college? College is not for everyone. I do not believe your statistics.

[quote]another things, GRADING. If a kid does absolutly LOUSY, one of two things happen: A: they hold the kid back in ALL subjects, not just the one they failed. or B: They push them forward, the kid doesn't know the subject material, fails everything, and still gets a highschool diploma. They then think that they can continue to do poorly in real life, and go though numerous jobs before they relize they can't. Don't tell me this isn't true, because I know people that have done just that, and they don't listen if you TELL them they got jipped in school!
    [/quote]
    If you fail one class, you do not get held back. Not hardly. The person just must retake it during summer school or take it again next year. You cannot get a high school diploma without passing 4 years english, 3 years math, 2 years science, 1 year performing arts, ect. Almost every school has summer school allowing kids to make up classes or to get ahead. High school diplomas do not get given away. You must work for them.
    [quote]I know one person that was held back FOUR years, after the second, she stopped caring, stopped trying, pretty much screwed her life (I mean getting into gangs, she had ALOT of anger, picture the absolute worst punk kid you've ever met, and this was she). well, her mother (a cleaning lady, dunno if she graduated from highschool) decided to homeschool her. in ONE YEAR her daughter cought up the FOUR YEARS, is now advanced, had earned her GED, is planning to attend collage, and is amazingly, a pretty and happy girl now. (If you had seen her before...the transermation was amazing).[/quote]

I can not see this happening. The only reason she would do so poor in public school is because she did not try. It is not the school's responsibility to make you learn, you must have some drive. You say she caught up in one year. She could have done the same at a high school without her mom holding her hand.
    Some homeschoolers do get along in the real world, that is true. They are not better prepared (as a majority, you may be an exception). What is to make sure a parent teaches a kid real cirriculum and not just whatever they feel like. "Kids don't listen to their parents" IF I may say so, this is bullshit. True, kids do not always listen to their parents, Kids going back to the 17th century dont listen all the time. However, parents have a lot of influence over "public school kids". Kids in high school do listen to teachers, or they fail (or get kicked out). It is as simple as that.
    [quote]highschools and gradeschools do NOT represent a real world enviroment.[/quote]
    Oh, and I suppose homeschooling is a real world enviroment?

You are truely and sincerely wrong on this A#s. Do not take any of this as being insulting to you, I am just trying to show you that you are wrong. As I said before, public schools are flawed, but they do an ok job. If teachers were paid more and parents took responsibility to raise their kids, we would be looking at a different situation. High school may not be for everyone, but for a large majority it works very well.

[This message has been edited by rhett (edited 11-28-2002).]
    [quote]Originally posted by jambo_jimmy:
    [b]"High-School" (secondary school/college) was one of the best times of my life. Its not about learning, its about having fun, full stop. I used to love winding up the overly catholic RE teacher I had... oh the fun... You can't do that sitting at home with your parents, how boring! How anti-social!!

When you get to university, that’s the time for learning, or smoking pot, whatever works best for you.[/b][/quote]

Lol... True, high school is also about enjoying life. It is one time where the responsibility is not too high and you can just enjoy. You can't do that with homeschooling.
    [quote]Originally posted by A2597:
    [b] I've had much contact with my generation. frankly, I'm pretty disappointed with them. They are rude to their elders, lack a concentration span of more then 20 seconds, talk about nothing but sex, and are foul mouthed.
    [/b][/quote]

LOL. You've just characterized every single teenage population since the dawn of time.

High school, and the act of "being a teenager" is part of growing up for most people. I too had a great time in high school, now that I look back on it. It's great to see the amount of joy my own parents get from seeing old high school friends 40 years later at reunions. It's great to know I have those experiences to look back on and cherish.

If you had attended high school and could look back on it, you'd see it not so much as a way to teach teenagers raw knowledge, but to allow them to discover what life, relationships, and the world are really all about.

------------------
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    A### must have been born 45!! Honestly man, you need to live a little, you're only a kid, start acting like one. Make mistakes, do stupid stuff, have fun! THEN grow up.

My last post about high-school was jokingly made. Of course you learn things in high-school, it’s a very important part of you're life. No-one will convince me that you'll be a better, more well rounded, sociable person from staying at home with your parents all day rather than going to school and maturing, making long lasting relationships (even with the teachers, I recently saw my old Maths teacher and we actually went for a pint, like he promised when I was 16!).

Also you are taught by people who know all about there subjects (I'm not saying parents don’t know a lot about there particular subjects but can the honestly be as good a teacher in, say, Maths, when they hated maths all their life and did a degree in English, NO!). Don't say "oh but I don’t want to learn 'biology' etc...", narrow mindedness gets you no-where in life!

There you go, a sensible post by me!

I don’t take the pot smoking at uni bit back though [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    [quote]
    It is not the school's responsibility to make you learn, you must have some drive.
    [/quote]
    I think this pretty much sums up the theory behind home schooling: it is not the school's responsibility to make you learn, only to teach. Parents, however, do have a responsibility to ensure that their children are prepared for "the real world". Whether that is working with the teachers and administrators of the public school system or by teaching the children at home, the responisbility is on the parents to instill the desire for education in their children.

I am not pro-home schooling, but I am not convinced that public schools are the only, nor best, system possible.

If possible, try to keep an open mind to the other options. Study them objectively and consider their strengths as well as their weaknesses. It is the only way you will learn.

One final comment: several posters remarked that home schoolers "stay at home all day with mommy and daddy". This i not true. In a tyical home school program, less time is spent sitting at a desk, doing rote problem solving, than at a public school. This allows for more time to do things "outside the classroom", such as field trips (to the museums, bakeries, libraries, stores, offices, etc)

------------------
    bobo
    <*>
    B5:ITF
  • [quote]Originally posted by rhett:
    [B]lots of stuff should be here, but I didn't want to make this page huge, so I deleted it. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
    B][/quote]

hehe, OK, I'll try and reply to your reply. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

first off, from your reply, it sounds like you got a good highschool, they do exist in the US, I know my cousins got a very good one, but the ones I've seen have STUNK. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

1: How do we do better in a real world enviroment? simple. your assuming that as a homeschooled kid we never get out. #1: we spend alot of time with adults (Our parents) and we DO get out, I've had friends my whole life, certainly right now the majority of people I'd call frineds are much older then I, many arn't, and some are many years younger then me, overall, I'd say the age groups I spend time with is much more diverse then the typical highschooler (Note, I'm in collage now...) Seriously, in highschool, how much time do you spend in conversations with adults? (Answering a question for your teacher, or listening to your teacher/parents doesn't cound, conversation is a two way thing).

What gave me the impression that highschools are bad? I HAVE been in them, not for any length of time, but I'm not basing my opinions on what others have told me, I'm basing it on how they live their lives, what they want to do, and how they actually do. Overall, pretty poor. (Again, it sounds like you got a good one. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] )

2: Sorry, but I'm going to continue giving you "crap" about ADD. I was FOUR YEARS OLD when they wanted to label me ADD. NOT my parents, the SCHOOL. why? money. pure simple money. Schools get MONEY for the LD/ADD/ and label groups, more they have, more money they get. Many kids that have been labeled don't have anything wrong with them, until they are put on ridelin, or some other drug, or tossed into an over crouded LD room. blagh, face it, ADD does exist, but it is MUCH more rare then the schools make it out to be. And frankly, the schools will take almost any excuse to label a kid, and I'm not talking just out of personal experiance. By brother teaches special ed, many of the kids he gets have NOTHING wrong with them, and when he TRIES to mainstream them, the schools give him so much BS over it. They DON"T WANT normal kids, they don't get PAID for normal kids. (Well, they do, but not as much).

on the tests, ok, I may have exaggerated to make the point...

3: how did I get this idea? because I'm seing it happen, I'm watching the laws being passed, and I'm watching them go into effect. the name they have it under is something like "Schools to work" or somesuch, this may only be here in Florida, but it will spread, most bad things seem to.

4: the kids I sampled are honor role students that activally participate in sports, and other school activities. (Members of my Golf team)

5: might just be the schools here and in a few other states then.

6: Trust me, it happened, I still see her once in awhile. She STOPPED trying, she stopped caring. picture yourself being put back in 1st grade. would seem like a dream for the first little bit, but think about it, youd be around a bunch of kids that are years younger then you, being lectured on stuff you already know, you'd be BORED STIFF. then you stop paying attention to the teacher, then you get in trouble for not paying attention, etc etc.

7: Its closer, you learn more about the world at home then you do in schools. give me an example of a way that schools represent the real world. I'll try to come up with a few:
    "Being surrounded by many people."

ok, in the real world will you EVER be around 100 people your SAME AGE? no. is your boss going to be your age? not likely. kids at school are not the same as coworkers at an office firm. sorry.

"Learning about diverse cultures"
    sure, ok...maybe that...

ummm...I can't think of any ways that schools represent the real world beyond this...sorry. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

Define "Large majority" and "Very well" please. from what I've seen, its more like a small part manage to get out of highschool as respectable citizens, ready to tackle collage. if the kid isn't ready for collage (With intent to attand) thats still ok, but sooo many do NOT want to go. They have never been told what the real world is like, they don't know how to handle money, they don't know anything about politics other then what they hear from their parents, they slack off at work, do the minimum needed to pass, are lazy, self centered, and have no idea what they want to do with their lives.
    (Now seriously, I don't expect ANYONE to know what they are going to do with te rest of their lives fresh from highschool, but they should have some idea).

now again, this is NOT all highschools in America, but it is a majority. The fact that you don't believe me is proof of that, how do you explain americas rating? if all schools prepared students in the above, along with typicle subjects, our rating would be much higher.

------------------
    ---
    Maybe I'm not one to talk, since I obviously attended high school in Canada, which placed fourth. Yeah!

LOL. I do understand what you're saying A2597, but I don't agree that home schooling is better (although it may the the case in the US, and it would depend on the parents). A student also gets more out of school if they put more into it, and making sure the student is working hard in school is the parents' responsibility. I think you're somewhat of a special case. Looking back on high school, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Of course, for me, those Sunday dinners with family really got the conversational skills rolling. Great fun!

------------------
  • heh, dinner conversations can become great fun! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    ---
    Ok, in reply to A#s:

[quote]"Seriously, in highschool, how much time do you spend in conversations with adults? (Answering a question for your teacher, or listening to your teacher/parents doesn't cound, conversation is a two way thing)."[/quote]

As I said, I am good freinds with most of my teachers. This is not common, true, but most teachers force you to interact with them (either by making you do oral reports, see them about grades, interaction in class, ect).
    It is true that I go to a good high school, which I am very glad of. And I do agree that America's educational system needs some major help. But I do not feel that homeschools are the solution.

[quote] Sorry, but I'm going to continue giving you "crap" about ADD. I was FOUR YEARS OLD when they wanted to label me ADD. NOT my parents, the SCHOOL. why? money. pure simple money. Schools get MONEY for the LD/ADD/ and label groups, more they have, more money they get. [/quote]
    Sorry for my poor choice of words. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] What you say is sometimes true, and it is true that schools get more money for having disabled kids, mentally handicapped, ect. I do not believe (I may be wrong) that ADD counts at the High School Level. Some schools may try to label kids as ADD. I again agree that ADD is much rarer than it is made out to be. I think it depends on what school you go to (and what kind of administrators you have, getting back to my point that higher pay=better teachers=better results).

It is true that there is alot of testing (I am in California). There is too much, but I do not think it has too large an effect on kids learning. The only classes where you get "taught the test" that I can think of are AP tests.

[quote]the kids I sampled are honor role students that activally participate in sports, and other school activities. (Members of my Golf team)[/quote]
    Although I cannot speak for every school, if such a poll were taken in my classes the percent would be pretty drastically higher (I would say around 65% at least). This is not true of every school and every level, but trust me when I say that there are alot of kids who do want to go on to college. But then again, college is not for everyone. And did you include Junior colleges? These are cheaper and more effective alternatives to a full 4 year school.

[quote]Trust me, it happened, I still see her once in awhile. She STOPPED trying, she stopped caring. picture yourself being put back in 1st grade. would seem like a dream for the first little bit, but think about it, youd be around a bunch of kids that are years younger then you, being lectured on stuff you already know, you'd be BORED STIFF. then you stop paying attention to the teacher, then you get in trouble for not paying attention, etc etc. [/quote]

My apologies again, I didn't make myself clear. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] I meant that it is a rare occurance, not that I didn't believe you. As I pointed out above, you must fail several classes to be held back. If you fail just one subject you have to retake it (either the next year or in summer school). High school gets you ready to have relationships with people. It is more about getting to know a diverse group of people that all have varying opinions and how to deal with them (and behave civilized). Also high school gets you ready for relationships with the opposite sex. In the end, though, no kid will experiance the real world until they get there. Public high schools only get them prepared socially for the real world. No matter how many friends you may have being homeschooled, you will never meet the diverse people and opinions as in public school.
    [quote]They have never been told what the real world is like, they don't know how to handle money, they don't know anything about politics other then what they hear from their parents, they slack off at work, do the minimum needed to pass, are lazy, self centered, and have no idea what they want to do with their lives.[/quote]
    Many of these things are for people to learn for themselves "live and learn" as it goes. However, every school I know of requires history/political science type classes. Most teachers will teach you about being responsible and voting. However, it is sad that the quality of leadership is at such a low state (i.e. politicians are corrupt). What my mom does for a living is help kids find out what they want to do for the rest of their lives. All the kids have to do is want to know.

[quote]now again, this is NOT all highschools in America, but it is a majority. The fact that you don't believe me is proof of that, how do you explain americas rating? if all schools prepared students in the above, along with typicle subjects, our rating would be much higher. [/quote]
    Point taken. I believe that there are two things that hold America back. Teacher pay and Parents. Schools have no way to raise a child for parents, however a suprising number of parents expect schools to raise their kids. Why do Indian and Asian Americans do so much better in school than the average caucasian, black, or mexican? Because the Asian and Indian culture has a deep rooted parent support of education. Unfortunately, alot of the time these parents go overboard in their expectations of their kids. We need to find a happy medium to raise our children in. Another long post to muddle through [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • [quote]Originally posted by rhett:
    [b]Point taken. I believe that there are two things that hold America back. Teacher pay and Parents. Schools have no way to raise a child for parents, however a suprising number of parents expect schools to raise their kids. Why do Indian and Asian Americans do so much better in school than the average caucasian, black, or mexican? Because the Asian and Indian culture has a deep rooted parent support of education. Unfortunately, alot of the time these parents go overboard in their expectations of their kids. We need to find a happy medium to raise our children in. Another long post to muddle through [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img][/b][/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more, but might I add one more? The schools adminadstration. That can make all the difference in the world. The teacher pay, yes, it is REDICULOUSLY low, the janitors get much more, our GARBAGE collectors get more! *sigh* I respect anyone that teaches...not a good job in the US. I'v thought pretty long and hard on how to improve our schools, and it came down to a few things:
    1: pay our teachers more!
    2: go back to a semi-anual test (Besides the teachers chaper tests, or what have you, but twice a year for a standardized test is plenty!)
    3: give the teacher command of the classroom, nowadays if a teacher diciplines a child by any means, its grounds for firing. (seriously, my Dad thought highschool years back, his first day the principle lined up all the kids that had done something that warrented dicipline, and thought my dad how to paddle them. [he said he felt sorry for the first one, because the principal kept having to show him how to do it "just right"]) When he talked to their parents, they usually replied "Paddel them!" nowadays they would file a lawsuite...

STOP labeling kids without a good cause.

IMHO, I think if the above were done, our schools would be ALOT better.

Long post...for both of us. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] Tried to keep it a little shorter this time.

------------------
    ---
    How many standardized tests are there, annually per class, in the US? Here in BC every class has a "final" exam, which is a standardized goverment exam, but that's it. Obviously there are plenty of other tests during the year, but they're all written/given by the teachers.

------------------
  • Hmm... the UK came seventh - not bad, on a whole; I'd be more curious to see where we'd sit on the table if we looked at University and higher education ratings.

Given that the education system in Britain, as a whole, is in flux it should be no surprise to see some novel nations making an appearance above us.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Here in NZ we have (had) 3 internal exams during the year per subject, than a national exam at the end of the year for each subject. They are currently in the middle of changing it to a new system they call the NCEA, which I [i]think[/i] is similar to the high school diploma idea in the US (I dont know much about that though so I'm not sure). Basically, you sit all sorts of internal assessments throughout the year, and if you pass you get a certificate or something at the end. No longer are people graded according to how well they did during the year, they all come out with the same thing, same rank. The problem with this is that universities in NZ rely on the grading from the national exams to say who gets into what courses. Now they cannot do that. I suspect that they will go to a system of having their own entrance exams, myself.

------------------
    [url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Never eat anything bigger than your own head.[/url]
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • honestly, here I don't know, but I know its alot, I think once a month or so in Florida...with the FCAT being the major one once a year. (Which I HATE. the way its set up is if you get all A+ in all your classes, yet fail the FCAT, you don't move on to the next grade....)

------------------
    ---
    Well yeah. Come to think of it, I don't think the finals we had were government tests until grade 12. The teachers would write up the final exams for grades 8,9,10 and 11, and they were worth 30% of our grade for the year.

The government final is worth 40% in grade 12.

------------------
    Well, lets see. Here in California we have the STAR test and a couple others. I would say two or three (depending on the subject). Then you add in the semester finals, so there are 2 big tests that effect your grade and two or three aptitude type tests (or to seehow well the teachers are teaching). I couldnt agree with your suggestions more, A2597.