Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The 2nd Renaissance (Spoilers within)

Well if you didn't already know they released the The Second Renaissance on Wed.

Not quite as disturbing as the first but still not what I would call "family viewing".

Overall it's woth the d/l if only to get you into the proper mood for next week.

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Actually, I'd think it's far more disturbing at times.

There's some scenes I'd say are damn powerful at times.
    Not going to make specific comments just yet. But man, some interesting, freaky stuff in there.

I also picked up an eCopy of the DVD. It's now close to the top of my big "Things to buy" list (sorted by feasability of purchase!)
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    It's artsy and I likes it....

Friggin' disturbing, though...

"Hand over your flesh... we demand it...." *BOOOOM*

though on a related note, I've heard some unsubstantiated rumours we're going to see some mechs similar to these in "Revolutions"...
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i heard those too, and i think they may be true.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    :noidea:
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Re: The 2nd Renaissance

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ricobirch [/i]
    [B]Well if you didn't already know they released the The Second Renaissance on Wed.

Not quite as disturbing as the first but still not what I would call "family viewing".

Overall it's woth the d/l if only to get you into the proper mood for next week. [/B][/QUOTE]

I actually found a copy of the whole DVD :) Last Flight of the Osiris Frickin ROCKS.
  • VladVlad Earthforce Officer
    I found that part 2 wasn't as compelling as the first one. Before watching the first part, I had always sort of assumed that the machines were the ones to start the conflict, similar to Skynet from the Terminator movies. However, it looks like the whole mess was the human's fault. The machines looked to have made every effort to coexist with us, and we shunned them.

Sure, there were some nice and disturbing images in the second one, and some good fight scenes, but it just didn't wow me as much as the first part did. Not only that, but they completely skipped over how and why the hostilities started. The first part ended with the peaceful representatives from 01 being turned away from the UN, and the second part opens with us bombing 01. Of course, this meshes with what the movie says in that we don't know who started the shooting, but it would have been nice to not have such a gap between the two parts.
    I don't know. I took the forceful seperation of the two AI Representatives as a sign that the humans were not going to accept anything from them anymore, and were going to go forwards and wipe them out once and for all. Clearly, at that point, 01 had the superior economy, and that was probably doing a number on the human economic systems.

Although I love that logo for the 01 products. :)

Black bar, white bar. So basic, but really nifty!
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Will someone tell me what the hell is going on here please! :D Thanks in advance... Oh, and here is another nice: :noidea:
  • Hey some power hungry admin changed the topic title!

I don't see any spoilers in here.
    There are a few that may ruin the drama for some. i.e. the "Hand over your flesh. we demand it" thing. That's kind of important and dramatic. :P
    Will someone please explain to me wtf this is?? :D
    Rhett, the Animatrix is a collection of nine different animated shorts, which is going to be released on DVD in June (I think). Four of the shorts have been released in their entirety on the web. Two of them are the two parts of a short called The Second Renaissance.

The Second Renaissance tells the story of how we went from using the intelligent machines as slaves, to them using us as generators.
    Thank you Vlad, I am much obliged...
    Ive now watched four of the six, and they are very good. I have a sudden urge to stand up and shout revolution for the machines! They are no longer two dimensional bad guys, in fact we are the bad guys. Go machines!
  • MTMT Ranger
    No. We brought the machines into the world, and we should/can take them out.

Screw the machines. Long live humanity.
    I lost my faith in humanity a long time ago. Ill be there for you in the end though. ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I saw all of the shorts at the cinema the other day. Many of them are very cool. I especially liked [i]Beyond[/i] and [i]Last Flight of the Osiris[/i]. And, of course, [i]The 2nd Renaissance[/i].
    No- I still say **** the machines. We do stupid stuff, but it is not there right to judge us as a race and destroy our one thing that makes us great- free will.
    Heh. Well, you have to remember that they gave us *many* chances to be equals. They tried to be friendly, and we continued to turn them away, violently so.

Hell, one of the things that makes us "alive" is the innate urge to preserve one's life. B-116-ER showed just that. And even if it did sneak past Asimov's laws, it still showed that they were just as living as we were. It did not want to die. So what did we do? We exterminated every machine we could find, calling it a "flaw".

So, the remaining machines split off and moved to the middle east, and made a thriving nation, 01. We humans were getting hit pretty hard by the inginuity of their kind, and responded by trying to destroy them. Although who fired first is still in question, we clearly did not want them to be in any position of power, so I would most likely say humans were to blame.

We tried to wipe them out by blotting out the sky. Wonderful idea. So, they used their mindpower and came up with a solution that would work to great effectiveness: Humans waste tons of energy, why not use their waste products as power?

So they did. Good move on the part of the machines.

Also, they had free will, as well. We continually pushed them back, made them a servant race, took away their rights to do as they wish.
    I'm not saying that they were wrong to want equal rights. And I think that we should perhaps have granted them equality (and definately not try to wipe them all out). For one thing, I would recommend never creating the damned things that are that intellegent in the first place. But- I do not believe it is their right to "force evolution" upon us by making us little more than slaves- and yes that is exactly what we would be. See, they do exactly what they didnt want humans to do- use them as slaves.

Of course, this is all irrelevent, but it keeps my mind off of other less plesent things.
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]
    Hell, one of the things that makes us "alive" is the innate urge to preserve one's life. B-116-ER showed just that. And even if it did sneak past Asimov's laws, it still showed that they were just as living as we were. [/B][/QUOTE]

are you sure about that ?

Look closely at the footage, he didn't jsut kill the two people in the room, he killed EVERY LIVING THING in the room.
    Yes. He killed what he thought could be related to his oppression.
    Does that mean because my parents "oppress me" (Im not saying they actually do, because they dont, but for the sake of argument) it is my right to kill them?? That's a weak arguement even in the courts system today...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]I'm not saying that they were wrong to want equal rights. And I think that we should perhaps have granted them equality (and definately not try to wipe them all out). For one thing, I would recommend never creating the damned things that are that intellegent in the first place. But- I do not believe it is their right to "force evolution" upon us by making us little more than slaves- and yes that is exactly what we would be. See, they do exactly what they didnt want humans to do- use them as slaves.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

They wanted to live.
    Sure they did. But does that mean that we humans dont have a right to live also? Is there right any greater than ours?
    It's not that they were just oppresssing it.

They were going to do something, either reprogram or destroy.

Think about it. Do you want to die? Theoretically speaking, if I owned you, and one day decided it was time to kill you or wipe your mind (destroying who you are), what would you do? You'd have three options: Go with it, run, or kill me? If you killed me, you'd finally be free of my influence. Running is most likely not possible, as I'm sure they have identifiers or locators of some sort. And letting yourself die..well...

Why should *your* life be in the hands of someone else?
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]Hell, one of the things that makes us "alive" is the innate urge to preserve one's life. B-116-ER showed just that. [/B][/QUOTE]

His name was B166ER. I'm wondering if there's a significance to that name, since it looks a lot like "BIGGER" in hacker speak.
    I knew I had that wrong somehow.

Thanks. :)
    [quote]His name was B166ER. I'm wondering if there's a significance to that name, since it looks a lot like "BIGGER" in hacker speak.[/quote]

Actually, I read somewhere that there's a book (it may be called "Native Son", or something similar.. don't remember exactly) with a character named Bigger who's involved in civil rights in some way (he may have been a slave).
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]Sure they did. But does that mean that we humans dont have a right to live also? Is there right any greater than ours? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, since we took away their source of power (the sun), they had to find a new one or die. Simple as that. And that idea also solved all their other problems too. ;)