Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Ebay and Email addresses

TycoTyco RangerTexas
Anyone know of any good and free email service providers that are acceptable by eBay without having to go through all of their confirmation (gimme your credit card number!) crap? I've scoured the net for something and have yet to find one. And preferably something I can plug into Outlook if at all possible.

Thanks.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [url]www.cjb.net[/url]
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    If you're talking about the email forwarding, It works (Set that up before I posted this) but it takes a while to actually get emails through it. Oh well, I'll live. :cool:

Any other recomendations?
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I just yesterday changed my eBay email address and I had to give them a credit card number to do that. It wasn't possible without it. Why, I don't understand.

- PJH
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyco [/i]
    [B]If you're talking about the email forwarding, It works (Set that up before I posted this) but it takes a while to actually get emails through it. Oh well, I'll live. :cool:

Any other recomendations? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, cjb is a little slow, but it does the job. I use it for spam-catching addresses. Because you get an entire domain, you can give one address to each site on the web. Then you know who's been selling off your email address.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]I just yesterday changed my eBay email address and I had to give them a credit card number to do that. It wasn't possible without it. Why, I don't understand.

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

They asked me the same thing when I changed my account to a hotmail.com address. I guess it's to prove you are whom you say you are.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    AOL
    I pity you.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    who me? i don't have AOL, i have CABLE, lol
    Well that's OK then. :) I no longer pity you.
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]AOL [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn border line Re...... I' mean

I feel very sorry for you.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyco [/i]
    [B]They asked me the same thing when I changed my account to a hotmail.com address. I guess it's to prove you are whom you say you are. [/B][/QUOTE]

But that's why the login information (username and password) is for.

Prove how?

How the heck can the credit card information prove that I am the one who created that account and thus am the right person to access that account eh? I never gave them any credit card information before when I created my eBay account, or after that, so they don't have anything to compare the card information with. They can only check if the credit card information I give them is valid. I could've given them any existing valid credit card information.

Besides, why do they require me to prove who I am to change the email address when I am already logged on to my account?

And why don't they ask credit card information right away when I log on to my account, so I wouldn't have to give it to them separately everytime I try to change something on my account?

And what if I didn't have a credit card at all? How could I change my email or any other information at all eh?

Makes no sense at all.

[/whining mode off]

I hate this crap.

- PJH
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    [B]But that's why the login information (username and password) is for.

Besides, how the heck can the credit card information prove that I am the one who created that account and thus am the right person to access that account eh? I never gave them any credit card information before when I created my eBay account, or after that, so they don't have anything to compare the card information against. They can only check if the credit card information I give them is valid. I could've given them any valid credit card information.

Besides, why do they require me to prove who I am to change the email address when I am already logged on to my account?

And why don't they ask credit card information right away when I log on to my account, so I wouldn't have to give it to them separately everytime I try to change something on my account?

And what if I didn't have a credit card at all? How could I change my email or any other information at all eh? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's actually not for your protection as it is designed to maintain the integrity (if you'd call it that) of the community. Case in point: I had a couple friends a while ago who would sign up for bogus accounts under yahoo emails to bid on each others auctions to get them higher and to screw over other peoples auctions by bidding a rediculous amount and not paying.

With the fake email, the sellers of the auctions they'd screwed with had no way to even try to track down the people... and when you screw up an auto auction there's like $200 in sellers fees - that'd ruin your day. True, they can retrieve their fees, but its still a huge pain.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mambo_morden [/i]
    [B]I'm pretty sure it's actually not for your protection as it is designed to maintain the integrity (if you'd call it that) of the community. Case in point: I had a couple friends a while ago who would sign up for bogus accounts under yahoo emails to bid on each others auctions to get them higher and to screw over other peoples auctions by bidding a rediculous amount and not paying.

With the fake email, the sellers of the auctions they'd screwed with had no way to even try to track down the people... and when you screw up an auto auction there's like $200 in sellers fees - that'd ruin your day. True, they can retrieve their fees, but its still a huge pain. [/B][/QUOTE]

I got to say that I don't agree with that. I mean who the heck would just for the fun of it bid on auctions without any intentions to actually buy anything? The percentage of that kind of stupid people must be ridiculously low.

I say that it does more harm than good. Again how could you change your email or any other information if you don't have a credit card? In fact I don't have one myself and couldn't first change my email, but then luckily someone else gave me a valid credit card information so I was able to change it. Without that favour I could've never changed it and the one I had originally registered the account with has long since been inactive. In fact someone else might have it in use by now.

Not good at all.

- PJH
    And btw, I possibly lost a change to get an item I've been looking for because of that. And it's quite a rare item these days.

- PJH
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    [B]I got to say that I don't agree with that. I mean who the heck would just for the fun of it bid on auctions without any intentions to actually buy anything? The percentage of that kind of stupid people must be ridiculously low.[/B][/QUOTE]

Did you see the auction for the Sputnik satellite?? Someone screwed with that one.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Okay this seriously blows. No matter which Email company I choose, none of them work. the only one that HAS worked is CJB, which hasn't sent me my email since I started.

What all email companies do YOU use. Every recommendation I've been given hasn't worked, and an item I'm wanting to get is nearing the end of its run.

More suggestions!!!

[url]www.paradise.net.nz[/url]

That's what I use for my main address. :)
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    How about FREE accounts? :p
    Well, I use paradise and cjb. I've never needed anything more, cause I've never had any problems with either. :)