Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Linux etc.

PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
I'm getting a new computer for university (finally, my own computer! :D), and my plan is to install 50/50 Mandrake Linux 9.1 and either windows xp or 98 (haven't decided yet, but either is better than my current WinME...:p). I'd be great if any Linux users here could give me suggestions/recomendations, especially since I've never used Linux before.
So, for a university student's computer (I'll be using it for internet, games...oh, and homework, I guess ;)) what Linux software is available?

Comments

• Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    I say go Lindows, might make the transition easier.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Phi:

Is it XP or 98 because that is all you have, or can you install 2000 instead?

In any case, install the windows first, then 9.1 Mandrake. Mandrake is a smooth install and very intuitive... You'll love the dual boot machine you end up with... ;)

cheers!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'd say go with XP over anything else. Better for games than 2k. :) Also better than 98.

As for the linux side, do what Jack said and install windows first, then mandrake. I run a WinXP/Mandrake 9.1 hybrid on both my desktop and my laptop. Both work beautifully. Mandrake is so easy to install and use, it's beautiful. Plus, it looks better than windows (mainly thanks to some amazing anti-aliased fonts).

Now, as for linux software. Use Mozilla for browsing the web, there ain't nothing better on any OS. :) OpenOffice is a great office package that can read and write most MSOffice files, plus you'll find it simple to use if you already know your way around MSOffice. For email, you can't beat Evolution. Wine is good for allowing you to use windows programs in linux, and through that you get your audio player (winamp). Wine can be tricky to get going, but once you do it is very useful. Note that you should build and install from source, not use the mandrake package (this is actually a good general rule, except that then you lose the handy dandy package management). It works better that way.
    For an IM client, you could try trillian under wine. Trillian is a great program, but it doesn't always work with wine.
    Licq is quite good and has all the necessary features. Ickle is simple, but a little too simple for me.
    Media playing can be accomplished beautifully with MPlayer, available at [url]www.mplayerhq.hu.[/url] Once again, install from source (in this case you need more than one package - you need things like a skin, etc). MPlayer is an excellent media player.
    I think that's all the important software programs covered. :)
    Also, in linux, get to know and use the multiple desktops system. It's one of the things that can really speed your work, particularly if you assign a useful keyboard shortcut to move between desktops. I use four and put certain programs in each. It's a system I wished windows had for years. They may have the powertoy for winxp that does it, but all it does is hide programs, which is slow. NView finally does it reasonably fast but still not as well as linux.

If you have any problems installing stuff from source, check the INSTALL file in the directory you untarred it to, and ask here.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I'd say go with XP over anything else. Better for games than 2k. :) Also better than 98.[/B][/QUOTE]

Heh... Knew you'd say that...

I'm just still quite leary of XP and what not...

:)
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    Thanks for the advice all, and especially Biggles for the software list, I'll be looking into them :) I decided to go with xp, and if it gets annoying I'll just defenestrate my computer :D

I'll post again if I run into problems or have any questions.
    Anytime. Just remember, build and install from source for minimum problems (except the inability to truly uninstall).
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    What is the best version on linux for somone who is new to Linux?
    Mandrake 9.1.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Linux is fun, as soon as you remember there isn't a c:\ . I would my self use Mandrake Linux but can't because of internet issues.

ACtually talking about Linux when you mean Redhat or Mandrake is wrong. It's GNU/Linux, or something.
    Well, that point has been up for debate since Linus first released it.
  • I second Biggles on the Mandrake 9.1 recommend.

Having done GNU/Linux installs from "back in the day", I can't tell you how much easier it is now than it was then.

"When will 'then' be 'now'?"
    "Soon."
    -- spaceballs
    Yeah... Definately Mandrake 9.1 hands down!

;)

Smooth as silk on the install...
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Allthough I can't get my Geforce 4 to work proporly with Mandrake 9.1. I can only use the standard Geforce option.
    Download and install the nvidia linux drivers.
  • Yes, get the nVidia drivers from their site... [url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4496[/url]

Follow the directions. It worked right out of the box for me.
    Same here. It even supports multiple monitors with just one extra line in the config file.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    I'm Back :D After being put in a room with no internet for two weeks! University + new residence rooms + incompetent housing people = no phone or internet jacks for weeks, and still no mailbox... :mad: May I never have to live through no internet again. The blackout had nothing on it!

Did you miss me? ...well? ....anyone? ...oh... :(

But I did get my own computer, I love it :D And I got Mandrake installed no problems. It's been great, except for the fact that I have to download the drivers for my video card and printer etc (difficult with no internet...) Love the games, they beat Window's included games to bits ;)

I've also been poking around the configuration dialogues, and I recently made the big mistake of making it boot in linux text mode, with no graphical interface. So...what's the magical word that makes Gnome or KDE appear again?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B]I'm Back :D After being put in a room with no internet for two weeks! University + new residence rooms + incompetent housing people = no phone or internet jacks for weeks, and still no mailbox... :mad: May I never have to live through no internet again. The blackout had nothing on it!
    [/B][/QUOTE]

That must have sucked. Did you at least have power:D

You need a cellular modem;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B]I've also been poking around the configuration dialogues, and I recently made the big mistake of making it boot in linux text mode, with no graphical interface. So...what's the magical word that makes Gnome or KDE appear again? [/B][/QUOTE]

init 5

;)
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    startx... I think. I really, really need to spend more time with Linux at some point.
  • WinXP better than Win2k for games ???

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I'd say go with XP over anything else. Better for games than 2k. :) Also better than 98.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I don 't think so, cause many games have Problems with WindowsXP.
    And the Drivers for hardware made have often problems with XP.
    An example:

One of the Problems with XP is, that if you are installing a new Driver, wich does not please XP, than XP holds the older Driver.

With 2k and 98 you have the full Driver-Control.

with best Regards

Chicky
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Nah, you can still force the other driver if you want to. XP is definitely superior to 98 and all NT-based systems for gaming. My only gripe is that a lot of DOS games simply won't run.
  • Don 't forget:

Windows XP is an advancement of Windows 2000. And Windows 2000 is an Advancement of Windows NT, so you have with XP an advanced Windows NT System. :p

I don 't know about the core of Windows XP, but I think it 's a similarly core you can find at Windows 2000. ( Microsoft Advertises XP with the Argument, that XP is an Windows 2000 advancement, and so it 's a stable system ! )

Windows 2000 with ServicePack 2 is the best operating system I 've ever seen. Only the Security of Win2K and WinXP can be better. At the point of security is Linux the best operating system.

One of the Problems of XP is, too:

Obligationsregistration
    And no one knows, what kind of Data XP sends over the Internet to the Microsoft Servers. ( Internet mades it possible )

with best Regards

Chicky
    startx worked, thanks Bekenn :)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Phi [/i]
    [B]
    Did you miss me? ...well? ....anyone? ...oh... :(
    [/B][/QUOTE]

You already know ;)

Worf