Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

What are the IT job prospects like in your area and what is it like to live there?

AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
Hi,
Where I live has a good standard of living and pretty much full employment but the island is so small it feels a bit like a prison at times and it costs a lot of money to go anywhere so I am toying with the idea of emigrating for a few years (It has to be 5 years or less or I can never come back)

so, where should I go?

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Great standard of living, in fact one of the top countries in the world (if not the top , in some cases after Norway) according to large amount of 'scientific' studies.

On the other hand, we had the IT crash fairly early, so I dont know about the IT scene no more.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The standard of living here is farily high, plus there's plenty of work in the IT industry.
  • The standard of living here in St. Louis is quite low, but due to cuts in big business in the area, IT employment opportunities are very low.

I'm lucky that I am in a almost recession proof industry here (I am IT for a local beer distributor, not Anheuser Busch) so I still have an adequate budget to play with.

Great place to live, but if you are in the IT biz, this is not your place to be.
  • Replace "standard of living" with "cost of living"

oops.....:D
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Re: What are the IT job prospects like in your area and what is it like to live there

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alaric [/i]
    [B]Hi,
    Where I live has a good standard of living and pretty much full employment but the island is so small it feels a bit like a prison at times and it costs a lot of money to go anywhere so I am toying with the idea of emigrating for a few years (It has to be 5 years or less or I can never come back)

so, where should I go? [/B][/QUOTE]

Whatever you do... don't come to California, USA... IT sucks, and so does the cost and standard of living here...

;)
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    Thanks Folks!

New Zealand was pretty much top of my list of places to look into anyway since several people from here have moved there and since I don't speak Swedish...

Time to start contacting a few agencies I think.

Thanks again
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    Canada has a high standarded of living, Small Population relitive to the size of the country.
    The cost of living in NZ is also pretty good.
  • Biggles, I'm confused.

I thought that emigration to NZ was difficult unless one is of certain ethnic/cultural origins... (pacific islander, if I recall).

Is that only true for certain industries/skill sets? Is IT in particular demaind? Is it because of the limited time Alaric is interested in?
  • Captain,SimmondsCaptain,Simmonds Trainee trainee
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]The cost of living in NZ is also pretty good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you guys have Medicare too?
    Describe it in more words than just it's name and I'll tell you. :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by John Walker [/i]
    [B]Biggles, I'm confused.

I thought that emigration to NZ was difficult unless one is of certain ethnic/cultural origins... (pacific islander, if I recall).

Is that only true for certain industries/skill sets? Is IT in particular demaind? Is it because of the limited time Alaric is interested in? [/B][/QUOTE]

Er... not to my knowledge. I'm not expert on the country's immigration policy, but I do know that currently at least 25% of the population of this city is made up of emigrants from all over thw world, staying for varying lengths of time. Generally, it seems to come down to if you have a job, they won't throw you out.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    my (limited) research to date seems to confirm that.
    Like most places if you have enough money or a confirmed job offer or you look like a good bet for generating jobs or revenue then you can come in.
    If you are a subsistance level person most places will give you a temporary work permit and then try to kick you out.

The exchange rate is good for me at the moment in terms of getting in but getting my money out again would not be favourable unless the NZ dollar strengthens considerably in the interim.

quite a dilemma. greed or life changing experiences.....

hmmm
    Actually, the NZ dollar is doing quite well at the moment compared with recent years. It's skyrocketed so far this year.