Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Radeons and Half-Life 2

I will buy a new 3d accelerator soon (to play Deus Ex 2). If I was to get a Radeon 9600 bundled with the voucher for Half-Life 2 instead of a GeForce FX 5600, how much would Sierra benefit?

Comments

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Well, being that Sierra is still the publisher even with a bundled arrangement, about the same...

but don't let that stop ya... ;)
  • MTMT Ranger
    Crap. If that's true, then it's the GeForce FX for me.
  • well i heard sierra has a deal with Nvidia, they codeveloped the HW2 engine or some such thing... i dunno, i beleive they get a peice of nvidia purchases.... personally tho, the ATi is the better card hands down. it wins 85% of benchmarks compared to the 5600... i'll never get an nvidia again after what they did to cheat on benchmarks
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I can't see nvidia giving a chunk of profits to anyone for any deal, especially one as (relatively) small as being able to give advice about the HL2 engine.

Oh, and saying things like "i'll never get an nvidia again after what they did to cheat on benchmarks" while saying how great ATi is is a little silly, given that they've pulled the same tricks in the past.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Yes! Both had drivers that did run 3dMark03 in different ways it was ment to bee done.
    Still, never say never.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]Crap. If that's true, then it's the GeForce FX for me. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Get a Radeon WITHOUT HL2 then? The radeon is far better than nVida in image quiality and you get much more bang for your bucks...
  • Get the Radeon9600[b]Pro!!![/b]. It's far better than the Radeon9600 and much more better than GF FX5600 regarding the speed. ATi cards handles HL2 better than nVidia's one.

I have a R9700 in my home PC and a R9600Pro in my server and both cards work perfect with newest games in high settings AAxAF enabled.

Btw, Sierra would get nearby the same money in all cases. Write a letter to Valve that the should look out for a new publisher ;) .
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Last I checked, Valve already has a new publisher in mind for all non-HL products. Seems they're still contractually bound to Sierra for the HL license.
  • do NOT get the NVidia card!!!

Radeons are the clear winner, and are currently the only DX9 cards on the market (Face it, NVidia is not making DX9 cards to specifications, they can't do DX9 features without slowing to a crawl)

Just buy the Radeon 9600/Pro , with or without HL2.

We managed to tear a mightly big hole in sierra, one they won't recover from. They are heading the way of atari, publisher only. eventually they will be nothing but a name.
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    Heh, I'm still mad at Nvidia for what they pulled after they bought out 3DFX, but I still have a Geforce 4 in my machine :p
    Moreover, only the XT versions of the Radeon cards are shipping with HL2; purchase the Pro version if you're really that dedicated to making sure none of your money goes anywhere near Sierra.
  • I don't care one way or another... Sierra sucks and all, but Half-Life 2 doesn't. ATI cards are better, doesn't matter who cheated on what, so get one. Simple. :)
  • MTMT Ranger
    This really sucks.

Ok, another question. Is there anyone still at Sierra that helped screw over ITF?
    I don't think anyone here knows the answer to that. There might be, there might not be; we just don't know.

But don't let that stop you from buying one of the Pro versions of the Radeon, which, as I mentioned above, don't have that HL2 voucher, and thus the purchase of which won't contribute any money whatsoever to the Vivendi empire.
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    Personally, I have a GF4Ti, but if I was to buy a new card it would be an ATi. I'm not impressed by Nvidia's FX range - seems a bit pants to me.
  • MTMT Ranger
    If I'm not mistaken, my purchasing of Warcraft 3 contributed to Vivendi, so doing that a second time wouldn't really bother me. It's Sierra specifically I hate with a passion, along with Grenewetzki. Vivendi I just slightly dislike out of solidarity with my British friends and their cultural antagonism of everything French.

I will consider this Pro version you speak of, though according to the ATI website, the XT is better, with no difference in price (so far). Hopefully that will change, and the Pro version will be significantly cheaper.

Life would be so much easier if Sierra wasn't the spawn of Lucifer. I hate evil.
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]Life would be so much easier if Sierra wasn't the spawn of Lucifer. [/B][/QUOTE]

*Sigh*

so true :shadow1:
    I fully expect the Pro version to drop in price once the XT hits the market, plus a week or two.