Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

My project exists! (Leisure Suit Larry)

[url]http://www.sierra.com/news_story.do?storyId=256[/url]

For the last while, I have been working (at first on a prototype) on a new Leisure Suit Larry game. It was a secret, which is why I was so coy about it.

No, I am not working for Vivendi, I am working for [URL=http://www.high-voltage.com]High Voltage Software[/URL]

-- john

Comments

• Yea, saw that yesterday.

Congratulations!!!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Woo! Congrats!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    That's great, my wife will love it. She's a great fan of adventure games, esp the tongue-in-cheek ones like LSL.

Jake
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Leisure Suit Larry was one of the first games I played when I upgraded from 286/commondore
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Great stuff, that LSL series :)

Good to hear from you, too! You vorlons really need to drop by a bit more often :vorlon:
  • Thanks for the well-wishes.

Sierra link with screenshots:
    [url]http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=607[/url]

There is a button for a trailer on that page also... :shadow1:
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Yeah! We need more Vorlons here to raisen our morale, don't know what for but anyway, I guess I got to look what this LSL stuff is. :)
  • Congrats!!!

LSL2 was the first real game (Besides Flight Simulator) I ever played on a PC.

Wish they would make a port of that for my Palm.

An update would be excellent.
  • Just looked at the screenies.

Holy Crap!!!! It looks great!!!

Its on my buy list!!!
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    Congratulations! Look like Larry's nephew is staying true to the family calling :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    This from a company (Sierra) who originally touted the DEATH of Adventure Games...

*shakin my head* ...

While I'm most certainly glad that someone is doing this again, and that our dear friend John is employed in something fun again, I just can't seem to get over the idiocracy of management decisions...

Who can you trust to lead a company anymore...

Congrats John!! :)

Wonder if I can get ahold of Scott and see if we can't get Space Quest on track again! :p
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    or another gabriel knight, or another quest for glory!
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Bah! "3d adventure".. pff!

The women looked better in 2d... :(

Why is it with this crappy 3d adventure crap?

Sure, Grim Fandango did it good, but the rest of the tries ain't been to my taste.
    Jack: I was wondering what happened to that new Space Quest.

John: What role are you playing on this game?
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Grats! Nice to see you have a job! And a cool one too :)
  • Thanks. Yeah, it's nice to have a job.

I am a programmer on the game, like I was for ItF. I am working on the AI some; but mostly doing game play, tools, controller stuff, architecture, and low-level error tracking, logging, etc. I am also a "platform lead" (we have a single true lead programmer, but every platform also has an assistant-like platform lead for dealing with issues and certification related to that system only). Since our platforms aren't officially announced yet, I can't say which one; but it should be easy to figure out.

A lot of our game play set up is being done by designers; as programmers we make the framework and architecture driven by a large number of external parameters, create tools or scripts to help the designers edit them, and create one or two instances to illustrate a working version with reasonable numbers in there. We also help them debug, or help them understand the technical subtleties of what is going on internally.

It is a lot of fun, but I miss the greater level of design input I had when working on ItF. I don't miss the overtime...
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Outstanding, I loved the LSL games, and all the Quest games, they are what i grew up on, and i miss em.
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    So will it be moddable?

[i]Leisure Suit Marcus slides up to a buxom Ivanova in a hot tub...[/i]

:D
    You're such a Monkey!

:p
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by John Walker [/i]
    [B]Thanks. Yeah, it's nice to have a job.

I am a programmer on the game, like I was for ItF. I am working on the AI some; but mostly doing game play, tools, controller stuff, architecture, and low-level error tracking, logging, etc. ...It is a lot of fun, but I miss the greater level of design input I had when working on ItF. I don't miss the overtime... [/B][/QUOTE]

Had you guys been using Lightwave instead of or in addition to Max, I would have pursued that position... ;)

oh well, you have to make choices in life... and for me, MAX is just NOT one of them...

:D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bobo [/i]
    [B]So will it be moddable?

[i]Leisure Suit Marcus slides up to a buxom Ivanova in a hot tub...[/i]

:D [/B][/QUOTE]

I reckon that would sell very very well. :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Glad to see that one of the ancient series, at least, hasn't been forgotten. Not sure I like that it isn't hand-drawn 2D, and somehow I doubt that Al Lowe is involved. On the other hand, if we get lucky, then maybe, just maybe, the current Sierra execs (whoever they are) will decide that their other old adventure series are worth continuing, too. But as long as Vivendi's still in the picture, I find it hard to hold out much hope.

But, hey! Glad to see you involved with this, John!
  • Yeah Jack, I would have liked that too; but Oakhurst is a lot nicer than Chicago. A lot. A whole lot. (really)

...and as you know, the game biz. is a harsh mistress.

The new LSL game is definitely not an old-school 2d adventure game, good or bad. I do know that the designers have been playing through the pervious LSL games to try to preserve as much as possible of the old games' spirit. (our IT department was actually tasked with getting some of the older DOS-based games to work correctly) Hopefully Al will be proud... or at least satisified with the result.

Liking it or hating it will be in the eye of the beholder, I'm sure there will be plenty of both (though I hope that the former will greatly outnumber the latter) ;)

There are rumors of cameos by Uncle Larry Laffer... but I can neither confirm nor deny such rumors. :D

If people are interested in more details, there is a neat fan site: [url]http://www.larrylives.com[/url] It reminds me of [i]something[/i]... hmmm... I just can't put my finger on what.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    firstones? :rolleyes:
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Did I read this right, this is going to a consol game? PS2 I hope?

Jake
  • The platforms aren't officially announced, and I would get in trouble for saying which ones we have working. :(

The other sites can do a better job of both what our customer and our producer/designers are saying publically than I can, so your best bet for up to the date info will be from them, not me.

I have to answer conservatively because... I like having a job. ;)

High Voltage's engine (Atlas) is actively maintained on PC, PS2, Xbox, and GC. Which of those platforms a publisher want's for their title is up to them, and adding platforms always increases cost of production (since they all have their own little pecularities). There is also the issue that the platform companies (Sony, Microsoft, etc.) can reject allowing your title onto their system, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Thus, one must be careful before they promise to make a particular platform for a particular title...
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Whoa... just noticed on that Larry Lives site that Al Lowe is trying to get on the dev team.

As for the platform, I think we can pretty much bet on Xbox.

John, you inspire a spark of -- dare I say it? -- [i]hope[/i] that this just might be a worthy successor. I actually haven't played any of the LSL games to any great extent, but from what you say here (along with the Al Lowe news, let's hope he gets in), it looks like they just might be approaching this from the right perspective. Though the fact that it's a 3D game still seems wrong to me.

I sincerely hope this game does well for you.
  • Thanks.

Please don't worry about hurt feelings; any criticism of the game here or elsewhere won't ruffle my feathers. As long as the code is solid, I've done my job.

...but don't event [i][b]think[/b][/i] about disin' ItF! ;)

"No comment" on which platforms... :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by John Walker [/i]
    [B] As long as the code is solid, I've done my job.

...but don't event [i][b]think[/b][/i] about disin' ItF! ;)

[/B][/QUOTE]

That's funny, today I was talking to a friend about your AI work on Itf... of course I was no where near knowledgeable enough to go into detail about it, but I remember the overall picture of how you described the ship AI, and how it "learned"... ;)
    The command structure is still the bit that impresses me the most.