Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

NEW Windows OS.

Theres a new one coming out. Its code name is LongHorn, and will be out around 2005-2006 CE.

[url]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113129,00.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.activewin.com/screenshots/longhorn/[/url]

Comments

• RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Yeah, Longhorn is going to kick butt, I think.

-R.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Longhorn would kick butt if brought out a bit earlier, like around their original release date. But I think that there is a good chance it will be a bit behind if it takes them as long as it looks like it will take them to get it out.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Behind what? MacOS? :P :)
    PC hardware. By the time longhorn is actually released, we'll all have brain implants or something.
  • here's an online demo for the [URL=http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG.htm]new Windows OS[/URL] :shadow1:
    Windows RG is a really great OS.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Biggles: I thought you already had brain implants to control your tank?
    I do. Notice I said "we'll all," which means "some time in the distant future."
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    That bar on the side is pissing me off. The one with the clock, and stuff.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    That's a clock? I couldn't even figure out what it was for, looked like a compass or something, like that makes sense :rolleyes: But I agree about it looking anoying. Actually the whole visual design puts me on edge...it's so...translucent or something...maybe it's the fact that it's windows, but it gives me a feeling of instability :p I can't quite explain it.

And Windows RG is hilliarious :D
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Longhorn would kick butt if brought out a bit earlier, like around their original release date. But I think that there is a good chance it will be a bit behind if it takes them as long as it looks like it will take them to get it out. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Yeah.
    Like didn't Windows 98 should have been Windows 96 originally?:D

And if you are thinking that todays processors are fast enough for any program this new windows could change it, at least concluding from looks of it. (and those requirements that have been "released")
    Might it be they have made that bar on right so that everyone have to get monitor with 1600x1200 resolution, because other way it would take away too much of desktop area.
    The thing that's really annoyed me about Longhorn since I first heard about it 2 years ago is that it's going to be packed full of "helpful" things like wizards.
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    Well, coming from a happy Linux user (and also an unhappy Microshaft user) I'll have to wait and see.

Maybe Microshaft are solving the "problem" of todays hardware being overpowered for windows by...

...making longhorn require a new PC! That'll make money for everyone (except the users)
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    blah i aint gonna get it like i aint gonna get xp
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    I hate to burst your bubble there Simmonds, but Longhorn has been known about for what...two years now? ;) Coincidentally, thats how long its been available in certain newsgroups that I won't mention under penalty of the big red button. :D
    Meh. Everyone knows that every build of longhorn since the first test has been leaked. :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]The thing that's really annoyed me about Longhorn since I first heard about it 2 years ago is that it's going to be packed full of "helpful" things like wizards. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, they need two versions of Windows: one Mac-ified version with Wizards on how to double-click, and one for people who know what an AGP slot is...

Oh, and I like XP too much... no FUGLY Longhorn for me :)
  • Well...allow this to be the occasion where I say "F*CK MS".

Looks like crap, needs system specs even I dont own to run. (gig o ram reccomended...1.7ghz procc...yea right) and best of all...They watch what you do, choose what you can install, what progras will run, override flash with an un-deletable program, etc etc.

Forget it. if Longhorn becomes industry standard, I'm sending a hate mail to MS and going Lunix. I know nothing about lunix, other then that many of the programs I like won't work, but if THAT is the future, fuck it, and fuck MS.

[url]http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3104381[/url]

and heres the NASTY stuff on longhorn:

[url]http://www.epic.org/privacy/consumer/microsoft/palladium.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/jul02/0724palladiumwp.asp[/url]

I smell big brother. I don't like big brother.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    As soon as I get the money to buy a new adsl router I'll go Linux. NWN will work on Linux! :D
    Provided your video card accelleration works in Linux as well. Which, if you have an nvidia card, it's virtually guarenteed to do. Ati cards usually work but a lot of models (particularly newer and laptop models) don't.
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    i'm having MAJOR troubles getting 3D support for a rage fury on Red Hat 9.

And I want to play Quake 3 in Linux :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    A rage fury can do 3d? ;)

(Kidding, kidding...)
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Longhorn looks interesting, AND disturbing
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B][url]http://www.epic.org/privacy/consumer/microsoft/palladium.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/jul02/0724palladiumwp.asp[/url]

I smell big brother. I don't like big brother. [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but palladium isn't just in longhorn. It's in all future hardware as well.
  • Hmm...I may never upgrade again then.

I need an IP scrambler now...
  • Gig of RAM recommended to run Longhorn? I'll have that soon, it's not a massive problem for a geek such as myself, but that's just ridiculous.

As for Big Brother... meh. Unless the governments of the world are going to support Microsoft's bid for WORLD DOMINATION (dun Dun DUN!), then it'd be kind of hard to, y'know, enact any kind of Big Brother system.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [B]Looks like crap, needs system specs even I dont own to run. (gig o ram reccomended...1.7ghz procc...yea right) and best of all...They watch what you do, choose what you can install, what progras will run, override flash with an un-deletable program, etc etc.
    I smell big brother. I don't like big brother. [/B][/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I hate to say it, but palladium isn't just in longhorn. It's in all future hardware as well. [/B][/QUOTE]
    That's one of the reasons why I don't have no trust to this "free" globalisation and "allmighty" capitalism. (today's "Holy cow")
    They give power to multinational megacorporations and to those who have lot of money.
    Same applies to this Americanizing trend and European Union.

I could trust to persons, never big organizations.
    Yep, me too.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [B]Hmm...I may never upgrade again then.

I need an IP scrambler now... [/B][/QUOTE]

No, you get the hardware. Just wait for firmware/flash roms that remove/disable palladium. Ohh, AMD is giving the user the option of enabling/disabling Palladium in the BIOS. :D Intel doens't. Nice to see that AMD listens. :)
    It might not be flashable-removable in many cases.