Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Advice: Macross Plus

Being lucky enough to work in a DVD store, I bought the Macross Plus special edition box-set with the movie and the three part mini-series. However, I'm unsure where to start off, and what to look out for.

Could you Anime fans steer me in the right direction? :)

Regards,
Morden

Comments

• WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    Well, the Movie and the miniseries are both slight variations on the same story.

The miniseries version is a bit higher on the action, but the editing is a bit off and the ending is abrupt. The movie version is a bit higher in regards to character development, and it just feels better.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The [b]four[/b] part OVA is what was originally made. The movie version is basically a re-edited version to develop the characters a bit more at the expense of other parts of the story. Personally, I prefer the OVA to the movie.
  • So the series and the movie are just different versions of the same story? Seems a bit of funny thing to me...

Which should I watch first?

Regards,
    Morden
    The series.

It's very common in anime for a movie to be made from popular series, and often it is a "re-imagining" movie where they take the story line and fuck with it till you barely recognise it, but recognise it just enough to know that it's all wrong now. :) In this case, they didn't change much and generally it was to improve it.
  • Righto, I'll finish cooking my curry then I'll be off to watch it. ;)

Regards,
    Morden
    One of the greatest parts of Macross Plus is the music. It's amazing. The composer (Yoko Kanno) is a legend. She also did the music to Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, and Arjuna, among many many others.
  • I've heard a lot of cool things about Coyboy Bebop, I'll look out for it. :)

Oh yeah, loved the asteroid battle sequence in episode 1, especially when Dyson bayonets that alien robot! :D

Regards,
    Morden
    Wait till you see some of the later battle sequences. :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Wait till you see some of the later battle sequences. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

*Rubs hands together in anticipation* :p

Regards,
    Morden
    Stop rubbing your hands and go watch it. :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Stop rubbing your hands and go watch it. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

My mate lent my series 2 of Dark Angel as well, so I'll watch an episode of that first and space the series out. Can't wait to get Laputa from Amazon at Christmas.

Regards,
    Morden
    Nononono! Watch all of Macross Plus now! You know you want to!
    Besides, it's better that way. After all, it is essentially a movie split into 4 parts.
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Macross Plus kicks fucking ass.

Yoko Kanno is devine.

I have spoken

no that was not suppost to be a haiku. so dont bitch about how the count is off.
    "Devine" is too weak a word.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]"Devine" is too weak a word. [/B][/QUOTE]

Im listening to Autum in Ganymede as I type this :)
    I'm listening to After in the Dark - Torch Song, myself. :)

Wow. I only have 7:23:50 of Yoko Kanno music. I need to go shopping (yes, I own all of it).
    Bitch give me some, all I have is Cowboy Bebop.

Then again I think what makes Cowboy bebop is the jazz overtones.. I have a thing for jazz..
    I have Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus and one of the Escaflowne ones.
    [B]I have Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus and one of the Escaflowne ones. [/B][/QUOTE]

next time your on IRC I think we need to move some files around! ;)
    :D

I need to buy some more. I'm hoping animenation has another sale soon. :) I only have 8 discs. (Cowboy Bebop = 5, Macross Plus = 2, 1 of Escaflowne)
    I was fortunate to inherent, sorta, the cowboy bebop sound tracks otherwise I would be broke :)
    Lucky sod. They cost me a lot. :)
    [B]Lucky sod. They cost me a lot. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

15 to 20 bucks a CD here... if your lucky...
    Yeah, but you don't have to pay shipping halfway around the world. :)
    [B]Yeah, but you don't have to pay shipping halfway around the world. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

That is true, I live close enough to a place that actually sells crap like anime soundtracks and stuff.
    Whereas I live in a country where we are lucky if we get one anime film at the international film festival, and usually it's dubbed. The concept of an anime soundtrack wouldn't even occur to most of the people here. Such a pity, they're missing all that Yoko Kanno goodness. :)
    [B]Whereas I live in a country where we are lucky if we get one anime film at the international film festival, and usually it's dubbed. The concept of an anime soundtrack wouldn't even occur to most of the people here. Such a pity, they're missing all that Yoko Kanno goodness. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you need me to send you an anime care package? another friend got me some fansubbed Naruto recently... ahh, Misty, she's my pusher.. I so frickin love her *sobs*
    Nope, not at all. In fact, I'm the pusher for about 5 other people. :D
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I liked them both. But watch series first, and movie when you're starting to forget it.

And Cowboy Bebop rules.
    Here you go Tyvar. Certianly no lack of anime for me. This is just the stuff I've bought personally. I have a friend without a credit card who buys a [i]lot[/i] of stuff through me, which means I get to see that as well. I usually tag a series or couple of movies onto his orders for myself. :)

[url=http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jlbiggs/images/108_0886_small.jpg]Anime collection.[/url] [url=http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jlbiggs/images/108_0886.jpg]Here's a large version[/url] if you want to read the titles (or I can just list them here for you if you like).

(Yes, this is part of the reason why I am so poor.)