Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

FireWire Card

PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
I recently got a firewire card and when I first installed it it worked fine, drivers and everything. But sometime between then and now my computer has decided it isn't attached or something. The only change I can think of is that I installed a second drive at a different time.

Yes, I made sure the case was grounded...heh.

I thought maybe I bumped the card loose, but I've checked that, taken it out and put it back in again, etc. but it's still not registering at all. The computer just won't acknowledge it's existance.

I was going to try putting it another slot next, but does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas as to what happened?

Comments

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Which OS are you using?

Native drivers, or installed from disk/CD ?

Try removing any reference to it from the Device manager and reboot windows to reinstall it?

and yes, another socket might be useful as a test...

;)
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Trying a dfferent slot is a good idea.

Also, you could remove all device and driver references for the card and have the card re-detected.

I hope it's not fried...
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    You might try putting it in someone else's machine, see if it works there.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    Windows XP

The thing is there aren't any references in the Device Manager to delete. When I first put the card in, it said XP already had drivers to use it. They worked fine, the card showed up in the Device Manager, and the firewire worked. So after a brief wonder at how many drivers XP has that I'll never use and are taking up space, I left it.

There's nothing to reinstall. It doesn't get detected as new hardware, or as malfunctioning old hardware in the Device Manager, or anything else I'd expect.

Trying it in another machine sounds like a good idea. I'll try it if I get the chance.

And I hope it's not fired either...it's only two weeks old! And I'm not near a Radio Shack to return it...

• ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    If you can't see any entries for it in the Device Manager, reboot into Safe mode. Safe mode seems to have all instances of previously detected hardware listed in the device manager, if I remember correctly.

Also, since it's only 2 weeks old, you you can contact the manufacturer and have them ship you a replacement.